Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Veterans Affairs HIring Process Question(s)

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12

    Veterans Affairs HIring Process Question(s)

    I'm processing with the VA. I applied, was selected, interview panel, received a TJO, went for a physical exam, (vision, hearing, PPD, Lab work, EKG), Tread Mill, Psychological, (Appointment took 6 Exhausting hours!).

    So, what's next?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by bigcitypi; 11-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcitypi View Post
    Hello all,

    I retired from my PD job this Past Feb., and I've been looking for a Federal job since, mostly for the mobility aspect. I'm in So. California and have plans on relocating to South Florida in four or five years, +/-...

    I'm processing with the VA. I applied, was selected, interview panel, received a TJO, went for a physical exam, (vision, hearing, PPD, Lab work, EKG), Tread Mill, Psychological on the 24th of last month, (Appointment took 6 Exhausting hours!).

    I got a call from Occupational Health to schedule for a "KT Test". I asked what it was for and they told me they didn't know ;( So what is it, does anyone know? I was on the phone and I'm pretty sure thats what she said?

    Do you guys know when and if they give the Psychological results? i was pretty nervous! The doctor I was sent to see has failed way more people I know than she has passed. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know anyone she has passed.

    So, what is this test all about and what's next?

    Thanks!
    Nope, you list all the things that you normally have to do for the prehire process. Who did you get picked up by? Call the assistant chief or chief and ask about this test and see what he or she can find out for you.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
    Nope, you list all the things that you normally have to do for the prehire process. Who did you get picked up by? Call the assistant chief or chief and ask about this test and see what he or she can find out for you.
    GIO,

    Thanks for your reply Brother.
    Last edited by bigcitypi; 11-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcitypi View Post
    GIO,

    Thanks for your reply Brother. I know the Fed system is WAY different than what I am used too, but I would never call a Chief about something like this. I did figure out my first question, the test is with Kinesiotherapy. I must say I have been through a couple of pre-employment medical screenings in the past and none have been near this extensive. Maybe it's cause of my age? I'm trying to get on in San Diego...

    SO, whats next up? Would it be safe to assume I passed the psychological on the 24th if Im being scheduled for another exam on Nov 6?

    Thanks
    Never heard of having to do a Kinesiotherapy test. Must be something HR found that isn't being done or they are looking at the wrong job field. generally you are given an stress test on a treadmill as part of the physical. Yes Federal is different from local. You can call the chief or assistant chief once you have been offered the position and are going through the pre-employment process. Good thing is that you have been selected for the position and doing what needs to be done to get a start date.

    When they get the results from all your testing and you're good you'll get your start date that the chief wants you on board. You'll have to go through the VA Police LETC academy, not as militaristic as what you went through as a police recruit, but there is still are pt days and a final pt test you have to pass. The academy is 8 weeks long and can be fun.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    Kinesiotherapy Test, never heard of it either...
    Last edited by bigcitypi; 11-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    Update, "KT Test" is basically bending, lifting, squatting, crawling, balance, & grip strength. Some exercises are done with 45 lbs of weight. Easy stuff...

    Similar in theory to State & Local testing, like holding up a shotgun for 1 min, pulling the trigger on a gun 10 times, peddling a machine with your hands for 1 min for max amount of revolutions, I guess?

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcitypi View Post
    Update, "KT Test" is basically bending, lifting, squatting, crawling, balance, & grip strength. Some exercises are done with 45 lbs of weight. Easy stuff...

    Similar in theory to State & Local testing, like holding up a shotgun for 1 min, pulling the trigger on a gun 10 times, peddling a machine with your hands for 1 min for max amount of revolutions, I guess?
    I've only done that once for a annual physical recert, not a pre-employment, buy hey every VA does something different.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    Finished the medical had my 2nd PPD read this past Friday and was told everything is done and going to HR.

    I was told during my interview the Academy is now 9 weeks, soon to be 16 weeks.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcitypi View Post
    Finished the medical had my 2nd PPD read this past Friday and was told everything is done and going to HR.

    I was told during my interview the Academy is now 9 weeks, soon to be 16 weeks.
    Will have to check that out. So far the next academy in January will be 8 weeks. There has been talk about going to a 12 week academy, but that's just rumor. Most of the federal law enforcement academies are 12 weeks so it would be inline with other federal law enforcement agencies.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  10. #10
    Hustler
    irishlad2nv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Time Zone
    Posts
    6,282
    8 weeks is plenty for VA Police.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

  11. #11
    Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    QuietPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,163
    9 weeks?! I wonder what they will be expanding on. They were calling for more GDR when I was there......

    One of the main reasons LETC is only 8 weeks long - and a lot of people forget this - is because you are REQUIRED and expected to have a background in L.E. before becoming an officer; minimum of 2 years civilian or L.E. It doesn't treat you like a basic rookie because we're not supposed to hire basic rookies who have no idea what the hell they are doing. That is black and white, written policy. That is also a big reason why we don't have a formalized FTO program, either. The cadre at LETC will tell you the same thing, too.

    Yes, yes, I've no doubt someone will give me a story about some idiot who slipped through the cracks. But irish is right; 8 weeks IMO was enough to get a new officer properly qualified, pointed in the right direction, and ready to start working.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    It was a Captain who told me 9 weeks, going to 16. It's not that far fetched to see all LETC's eventually going 16 wks if you take into consideration most if not all POST LE Academies are currently 18 wks. He didn't say when, only that It would be 9 wks when or if I get to go.

    I'm happy about the 2 year prior LE minimum requirement and not being treated like a boot again.

    I'm not too excited about going to Another academy, So I'm hoping its only 8...

  13. #13
    Hustler
    irishlad2nv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Time Zone
    Posts
    6,282
    All LETC's? There is only one and that is in North Little Rock. There is only one place the Va Police train and having LE in your background is not a requirement because there are several that slip through the cracks, and several of us on here have seen it first hand. I am sorry, but to waste 18-19 weeks and all of that money for the bad retention rate the VA has, not good. 8 weeks is enough, if not too much. If they are skipping the training before hand at your Hospital, then I am for the 8 weeks.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

  14. #14
    Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    QuietPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,163
    Irish, sorry, but you are wrong on part of your post. Not only does the majority of announcements state this, but there is a also a form the Police Department fills out, certifying the selected candidate does indeed have 2 years L.E.; either military of civie. GIO, I think you posted the form here before....can you do it again?
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    Irish, sorry, but you are wrong on part of your post. Not only does the majority of announcements state this, but there is a also a form the Police Department fills out, certifying the selected candidate does indeed have 2 years L.E.; either military of civie. GIO, I think you posted the form here before....can you do it again?
    Sure thing. Here it is. http://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA0120.pdf
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    Can you Gents give me an idea how long it generally takes to hear from HR once all the testing is done?

  17. #17
    Hustler
    irishlad2nv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Time Zone
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    Irish, sorry, but you are wrong on part of your post. Not only does the majority of announcements state this, but there is a also a form the Police Department fills out, certifying the selected candidate does indeed have 2 years L.E.; either military of civie. GIO, I think you posted the form here before....can you do it again?
    Not saying I am wrong, you are right/wrong, but I worked with several who slipped through the cracks and were hired and they didn't even have military.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Not saying I am wrong, you are right/wrong, but I worked with several who slipped through the cracks and were hired and they didn't even have military.
    I'll agree with you on this one irish. But like any agency, there's always a couple that slip through the crack. The hiring process isn't 100%, but no agency has a 100% perfect hiring process either.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcitypi View Post
    Can you Gents give me an idea how long it generally takes to hear from HR once all the testing is done?
    ?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for all the info guys. Appreciate it all
    Last edited by Tankle104; 12-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.

  21. #21
    Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    QuietPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,163
    Tankle104- If you're not a veteran, nor do you have at least TWO years of L.E. experience, it is doubtful you will get hired....you face an uphill battle from all the competition you will face from other vets, other feds, and people with L.E. experience......some of whom come to the table will all of the above. But you can still try. You must apply for announcements that open to "U.S. Citizens" on USAJobs. If it says "Status Candidates", you likely won't qualify unless you're a vet or a prior fed.

    You could come in as a GS-5 if you have a 4 year degree, and general work experience......but as I said, the V.A. Police prefers to hire vets, due to the nature of who we serve and where we work. GS-6 requires 1 year of specialized experience that you just admitted that you don't have. Take this as an opportunity to learn about USAJobs, and the Federal hiring process in general. Learn how to craft a federal resume that you will need, and learn about Hiring Authorities so you can understand what jobs you may qualify for. Go to Barnes and Noble to find reference books on the Federal process, and also use OPM's website. Good luck.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    Tankle104- If you're not a veteran, nor do you have at least TWO years of L.E. experience, it is doubtful you will get hired....you face an uphill battle from all the competition you will face from other vets, other feds, and people with L.E. experience......some of whom come to the table will all of the above. But you can still try. You must apply for announcements that open to "U.S. Citizens" on USAJobs. If it says "Status Candidates", you likely won't qualify unless you're a vet or a prior fed.

    You could come in as a GS-5 if you have a 4 year degree, and general work experience......but as I said, the V.A. Police prefers to hire vets, due to the nature of who we serve and where we work. GS-6 requires 1 year of specialized experience that you just admitted that you don't have. Take this as an opportunity to learn about USAJobs, and the Federal hiring process in general. Learn how to craft a federal resume that you will need, and learn about Hiring Authorities so you can understand what jobs you may qualify for. Go to Barnes and Noble to find reference books on the Federal process, and also use OPM's website. Good luck.
    Thanks for takig the time to reply to me, appreciate it. Ill keep my head up and keep learning and maybe stumble upon something.

    I'm only asking this out of curiosity cause idk how someone would do it but GUI and Irish both said people have slipped through? What exactly they mean and how does that happen?

  23. #23
    Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    QuietPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,163
    It means that people who should NOT have been hired per the official guidelines got hired anyways. That happens in almost any L.E. department, too. The point being: About 90-95% of all V.A. Officers and Chiefs are vets. Those few that aren't were either prior federal employees, or had a 4 year degree, or had an insider helping them to get hired. That last one is just flat-out WRONG IMO, but it can and does happen.

    We serve a population of vets. Being able to understand and relate to them is critical. Most V.A. Officer here can tell you of all the numerous times that we were able to talk down a Vet who was throwing a fit, merely by swapping war stories with them. When vets encounter non-vets in the V.A., they often generate the immediate thought of "You don't understand what it was to serve, so HOW can you understand me or my needs?" So being a non-vet officer would put you at a disadvantage if you don't understand the culture of the military.
    mpig53 likes this.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    It means that people who should NOT have been hired per the official guidelines got hired anyways. That happens in almost any L.E. department, too. The point being: About 90-95% of all V.A. Officers and Chiefs are vets. Those few that aren't were either prior federal employees, or had a 4 year degree, or had an insider helping them to get hired. That last one is just flat-out WRONG IMO, but it can and does happen.

    We serve a population of vets. Being able to understand and relate to them is critical. Most V.A. Officer here can tell you of all the numerous times that we were able to talk down a Vet who was throwing a fit, merely by swapping war stories with them. When vets encounter non-vets in the V.A., they often generate the immediate thought of "You don't understand what it was to serve, so HOW can you understand me or my needs?" So being a non-vet officer would put you at a disadvantage if you don't understand the culture of the military.
    Makes total sense. I come from a family of vets such as my father, both my grandpas, my brother and most of my friends are in right now. I was suppose to go in after HS and some freak accident happened and I decided to fix my teeth instead of go in. (You can't join with braces) but
    No matter who I know or am related to... You can't completely relate unless you did it yourself.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcitypi View Post
    I'm processing with the VA. I applied, was selected, interview panel, received a TJO, went for a physical exam, (vision, hearing, PPD, Lab work, EKG), Tread Mill, Psychological, (Appointment took 6 Exhausting hours!).

    So, what's next?

    Thanks!
    How long after your interview did it take before HR called you? I just had an interview a couple weeks ago at my local VA hospital.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register