Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bidgunner: Anyone try it?

Midnight sun worshipper

Bidgunner: Anyone try it?

I'll admit that I did, even though I hate paying for the bids. After watching it for a while, I saw a bit of a pattern, picked a gun I'd like to have, bought some bids, and set the wheels in motion. Glad I did. I won a NIB Sig Compact Nitron 1911 worth over $850 for $4.24.

What a deal. And I have a lot of leftover bids to try on something else.

Last edited by fishAK; 09-28-2012 at 04:29 AM.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Tmg
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishAK View Post
    I'll admit that I did, even though I hate paying for the bids. After watching it for a while, I saw a bit of a pattern, picked a gun I'd like to have, bought some bids, and set the wheels in motion. Glad I did. I won a NIB Sig Compact Nitron 1911 worth over $850 for $4.24.

What a deal. And I have a lot of leftover bids to try on something else.

How much did you spend in bids?
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Student of Gerbil Voodoo
    I won a NIB Sig Compact Nitron 1911 worth over $850 for $4.24.
    A stowaway decimal point snuck in there, right?

The gunrunners would be falling all over deals like that. Hell, even I could afford to upgrade at that price, but I probably couldn't afford to be buying ammo for another caliber. (Unless I got a case of the 1911's and made an obscene profit on 'em.)

Okay, I'm done bustin' on ya.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Yep, really four dollars and twenty-four cents. That's the cost of the gun. I bought a 500 bid pack at $325. $10 shipping fee. $25 FFL transfer fee. Add all of that in, and I still got an $850 gun for $375ish.

And I only used 22 of my 500 bids, so I can still win other auctions without needing to invest further. Either way, I saved $500. Admittedly got lucky, though.
    Last edited by fishAK; 09-28-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

I'll be surprised if the seller actually ships it, instead of just killing that sales account, and then opening another. Update this thread if it actually arrives, but this site looks awfully fishy to me.

Tmg
    Forum Member

Its from buds guns so i would think they would ship the gun.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmg View Post
    Its from buds guns so i would think they would ship the gun.
    Yeah, it's from Bud's, so I'm guessing it's the real deal. If you do the math, they actually make a killing on these penny auctions. Yeah, the guns sell cheap, but they make money on selling the bids. A few days ago, they sold an AR for around $100. Nothing super special, typical $1,000 range AR. Now, to get to $100 worth of bids at one penny increments is a lot of bids. 10,000 to be exact. At $0.65/bid, that's $6500 they took in. Even subtracting their cost of the gun they made a TON of profit.

An $850 gun that sells for $4.24 they're going to lose money, but they more than make up for it on other items. Once you figure a bidding pattern out and can be successful, both sides benefit. Or you just get lucky, or a little of both like I did. There are definite days where things sell for cheaper. Like, any day not on a weekend, for instance. I noticed right away the winning bids about quadrupled on Fridays and Saturdays. There are also certain types of things that generate much more interest than others. Revolvers have little interest generally, so if they come up you have a pretty good chance at getting a great deal.

They also have a limit to how many you can win per month, to dissuade dealers.

Anyway, I'm not telling everyone to go out and do it, just excited that I took the chance and was successful. Now I have to call and see if I can trade it for a different gun that I'd rather have and pay the difference....
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Midnight sun worshipper
    Won a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag for $2.22 last night.

Anyone order with Bud's before? How long does it take to ship? I'll post pics if/when they show up. If this is the real deal, I'm ahead about $900 after all the fees/shipping/bids are subtracted from the total value of the guns.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

I've picked up a quite a few firearms from them. They usually hit my FFL dealer (in Georgia) within 4 days. Once you've confirmed these items have actually arrived, I suppose I'm going to be purchasing some of these bids.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Yeah, I think I'm the guinea pig. By choice, though, really. And if I get them I doubt you'll be alone in heading there.

The one big complaint I have about the auction site is the selection. They just put a few guns up at a time, so if you don't want or need any of them, you just have to wait and hope they put one you do want or need up. Basically, you can't be too selective. I've already talked to a local shop and will for sure be trading the Remington for a lefty long-rifle.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

you do know that your out of state FFL transfer will be probably 150 bucks right? Its not just a 25-35 ffl fee, they charge you tax on it and other fees as well.

Forum Member

The one thing about the website k don't like is they say they can extend the bussing whenever they want and I've seen it. I think that parts bull.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Quote Originally Posted by urbancommando View Post
    you do know that your out of state FFL transfer will be probably 150 bucks right? Its not just a 25-35 ffl fee, they charge you tax on it and other fees as well.
    Maybe where you are that's the case. I checked. It's $50 for the first and $25 for each additional one at the shop I'm doing it at. We have no tax here.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member
    Maybe where you are that's the case. I checked. It's $50 for the first and $25 for each additional one at the shop I'm doing it at. We have no tax here.
    Same in my state.

Forum Member

oh whoops didnt realize you werent in CA, yea CA sucks when it comes to out of state transfers

Forum Member

I checked out that website, it looks like it can be a good website, i think i am going to bid on the at .380 ruger LOL. just to see if i can get it for dirt cheap. Of course i am going to wait till it's closer to closing of the bidding process.

Thanks for sharing this website.

Armed Babysitter

As far as BUD's in concerned, I have not had one issue buying any firearms from them online. They ship pretty quick. If you send copies of your police credentials you can go to their police supply side. Things are generally cheaper there too - especially for magazines and some holsters (But the selection is smaller)

I was leary about their new "bidgunner" site, because they extend the auction with each late bid, and you pay for bids.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Quote Originally Posted by xjman1990 View Post
    I checked out that website, it looks like it can be a good website, i think i am going to bid on the at .380 ruger LOL. just to see if i can get it for dirt cheap. Of course i am going to wait till it's closer to closing of the bidding process.

Thanks for sharing this website.
    So how'd you do? I noticed it sold for a whopping $0.07....lol

I've been trying to get a couple of guns today, but am not having any luck.

FWIW, though, I got email confirmation that my Sig was shipped, complete with UPS tracking info.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

Ya i know that .380 sold for .07, i tried to place a counter bid with like 7 seconds to go and i had an error pop up LOL. I wish i knew if that guy really just spent .07 cents for a brand new ruger .380..

Now i have to buy more bids because that place is crazy with deals.

My understanding is: I have to buy the bids, bid on the product and then if won i have to pay again for the product. Do i have that correct?

Midnight sun worshipper
    Yep. You buy the bids, then bid with them (obviously). If, say, you win an item for $10.00, you have to pay that $10.00 + $10.00 shipping (very reasonable, especially since they are sending it 2nd Day Air to Alaska for me). So your total cost ends up being the cost of bids+winning bid price+shipping+FFL transfer fees.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

That's what i thought, now i am even more P-ed off because i couldn't get that .380 for .07 cents LOL

Tmg
    Forum Member

I have been following it a little and it seems like a ripoff. I think you got lucky with your buys. Things are going for major money now....

Forum Member
    Seems more like gambling than anything. You could potentially spend $300 and get absolutely nothing out of it. It looks a lot better than it is.
    CruiserClass and Tmg like this.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Forum Member
    Not for me. With the "Bid Butler" and the adding of 10 seconds to the clock I don't see myself using it. I watched a .44 get bidded on by 3 accounts using Bid Butler for over an hour last night before I went to bed. I'll just stick to buying the regular way.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Yeah, I don't think I'd recommend it, honestly. Pretty sure I did get lucky. I used up my remaining bids trying to get something I could sell and recoup the initial cost with no luck. There are still great deals if you happen to be lucky enough to time your bidding with when nobody else has a bid butler going, which is what I think happened with my original wins.

It is definitely a gamble, though, with no guarantees. Kind of fun if you have the time and money to kill if you don't win one, but if you're looking for something in particular just go buy it. That .44 is still going. I was trying to get that, because I would have no problem selling it for top dollar here since it's a very common bear protection gun, but I'd have to buy a bunch of bids just to keep up with the bidbutler guys. I can't sit and watch it constantly.

The ones I did win, I just set low butlers on and forgot about them. Didn't know I'd won either of them until I checked my email.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that almost every hunting rifle and shotgun has gone for very cheap. Even if you had to use 500 bids to get them, it'd still be a heck of a deal.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Page 1 of 2 12 Last