Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Sam42

Thread: L.A. County probation executive arrested on suspicion of bank fraud

Forum Member

L.A. County probation executive arrested on suspicion of bank fraud

An executive with the Los Angeles County Probation Department who is also a former assemblyman was arrested Monday by the FBI for bank fraud, the department announced.
    Carl Washington, who is the department's director for intergovernmental relations and legislative affairs, was arrested at 10 a.m. Monday by the FBI at the Probation Department headquarters.

The department will release full details at a press conference this afternoon.

Washington is a former Baptist preacher who represented Paramount, Compton and Lynwood in the state Assembly a decade ago. He ran for Los Angeles City Council in 2001 and lost to Jan Perry.

The arrest comes amid a year-long crackdown on corruption by the new Probation Department Chief Jerry Powers.

Some 40 other probation department employees have been arrested since January -- most for offenses that were not work related, the department said.

"These recent arrests should served as a clear message that this chief -- and this probation department -- will not tolerate criminal behavior by staff," Powers said in a statement.

"This is a law enforcement agency, and as such we will hold ourselves to a higher standard both on and off duty."

The probation department is assisting in a number of criminal investigations involving its employees, Powers said.

Forum Member

Really doesn't surprise me. In most states, many administrative probation positions are attained through political patronage (Massachusetts most recently comes to mind), with many of these aforementioned administrators having absolutely no background in probation work....

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Let me guess....there'd be a (D) behind his name?

Although if the GOP had any presence left in So. Cal. they'd also compete for the "Most Stupid Crook in a Government Job" prize.

So glad I left!
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post
    Let me guess....there'd be a (D) behind his name?

Although if the GOP had any presence left in So. Cal. they'd also compete for the "Most Stupid Crook in a Government Job" prize.

So glad I left!
    Still trying to have "hope" that Calif. will turn it around politically ( with all the angry RINOS and gimme Democrats) My cousin QUIT the Probation Dept for private industry- she said that there were some corruption going on, and attributed it to the laziest "check collectors", not the hard working - and often- overworked folks ..... I hope this chump gets some Chino time, but Kamala Harris will take care of him., and considering he represented LOW LIFE compton, Paramount and Lynwood( uughh) would you expect anything less?
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-19-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Forum Member

Chief Powers is cleaning house down south...good!! Great Chief. Hope he gets that entire department ARMED and trained appropriately...as he did in Stanislaus County (still can't believe they only arm their task force P.O.'s)

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlong View Post
    Chief Powers is cleaning house down south...good!! Great Chief. Hope he gets that entire department ARMED and trained appropriately...as he did in Stanislaus County (still can't believe they only arm their task force P.O.'s)
    I've worked with quite a few armed PO's lately, as well as some who have worked LA IMPACT and other task forces- BIG difference in attitude, compared to some of the "old school" case worker types(some of whom actually acted like they supported the thugs, eerr" clients" more than brother/ sister LE!).

Better they do it themselves( house cleaning) than have something bad happen and it hits the news in the form of a major scandal
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    I've worked with quite a few armed PO's lately, as well as some who have worked LA IMPACT and other task forces- BIG difference in attitude, compared to some of the "old school" case worker types(some of whom actually acted like they supported the thugs, eerr" clients" more than brother/ sister LE!).

Better they do it themselves( house cleaning) than have something bad happen and it hits the news in the form of a major scandal
    Glad to hear they are coming around! As I've said before, can't believe there are still a few Probation Departments not arming their P.O.s and taking the social services, "hug a thug" approach!! Scary!! I'm all for helping my felons "rehabilitate" IF they have a genuine desire to do so...I will help them find work, give them "atta boys" when needed, etc. It's great to see someone turn their life around.

However, the reality of our job is much different. Thank God I work for a Chief that takes a very aggressive, law enforcement oriented approach to Probation work. We are armed...tactically equipped...and TRAIN with our S.O. and P.D. partners (the way it should be.)

I cringe when I hear LE Officers on the forum say they don't know or work with their Probation Officers (probably due to unarmed, social services minded officers). We partner with our S.O. and PD's daily (actually patrol with PDs on probation sweeps). It's a no brainer, win-win partnership. They all have my cell phone number as well for those 1203.2 PC blessings when they're out with one of my yahoos.

Forum Member
    My partner and I stopped and cited Washington for speeding on El Segundo blvd back when he was an assemblyman. He was hostile, uncooperative and condescending. (Had to edit post to replace the single word I used, sorry)
    Last edited by 2Sam42; 10-27-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Replace word
    FJDave likes this.