Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hair Follicle Test and 2nd Hand Smoke

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215

    Hair Follicle Test and 2nd Hand Smoke

    In about a month or so, I have to take my drug test for Philly PD which consists of both urine and hair. Here's the issue: Last April, some people at a party I was at were smoking marijuana. I don't think it was very much, and it was outside. This is the only time I've been around it. I know that hair tests are much more accurate than urine tests, so I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not I could potentially test positive in early October for marijuana because I was around it last April. Info from anybody is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,770
    Question for you. Prior to going to the party, where you aware that some pot heads would be there? Follow up question: How long did you stay after discovering that some folks were smoking pot? Answer to these questions could be more potentially of more concern to you than the question you asked.
    slamdunc, ddurkof and Fonzy20 like this.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    245
    Not sure the time line but yes it is possible. I have worked a lot of concerts and rap shows everyone likes to lite up. Nothing you can do about it because you would eject half the venue.

    A coworker tested positive for a drug test to be a nurse; urine came back clean hair was not so clear. If it is that big a deal they can do the test with body hair which shouldn't have been exposed to the 2nd hand smoke.

  4. #4
    DENIED!
    NYCTNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,939
    What they test is what's IN the hair, not necessarily out of it. Wash your hair. If you did not puff the magic dragon, your good.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    Question for you. Prior to going to the party, where you aware that some pot heads would be there? Follow up question: How long did you stay after discovering that some folks were smoking pot? Answer to these questions could be more potentially of more concern to you than the question you asked.
    Had no idea there would be any smoking going on. And I didn't leave the party because it was only 3 or 4 people doing it, I did go back inside and upstairs away from it after about 5 minutes.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    What they test is what's IN the hair, not necessarily out of it. Wash your hair. If you did not puff the magic dragon, your good.
    I get that part, but since there was second hand smoke was in the air that I was breathing for a few minutes, is it possible that it got into my system that way?

  7. #7
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,886
    No, you wont be able to blame your positive test results on second hand smoke. Stop smokin dope.
    slamdunc and NAVYATOR like this.
    Certified troll.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    No, you wont be able to blame your positive test results on second hand smoke. Stop smokin dope.
    Thanks for the sarcastic, worthless response. People come on this forum to ask serious questions and get serious answers.

  9. #9
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Thanks for the sarcastic, worthless response. People come on this forum to ask serious questions and get serious answers.
    Oh my dear gracious. It's happened again. I can't believe it. You actually think I give a ****. Awe, too cute.
    Certified troll.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Oh my dear gracious. It's happened again. I can't believe it. You actually think I give a ****. Awe, too cute.
    Go make jokes on your own time. This is not a joke website, people come here seeking officers' expertise.

  11. #11
    It's Complicated
    Iowa #1603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    15,694
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Go make jokes on your own time. This is not a joke website, people come here seeking officers' expertise.
    The rest of us were thinking it, he just stated it
    KJB likes this.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."



    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc


    I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,770
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Had no idea there would be any smoking going on. And I didn't leave the party because it was only 3 or 4 people doing it, I did go back inside and upstairs away from it after about 5 minutes.
    OK on the first part. You screwed up on the second. Should have left. You might be questioned concerning that.

  13. #13
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Go make jokes on your own time. This is not a joke website, people come here seeking officers' expertise.
    1. It wasn't a joke.

    2. This is my own time.

    3. YOU come here seeking advice, I come here to give it. I can choose how to give it, when to give it and to whom I give it to.

    4. This site is entertainment for me. I come here to shoot the **** and in occasion help the people I think deserve it.

    5. Good luck attempting to get to where I am and have been for some time. ; ) #winning
    KJB, TK5, mr crowley and 3 others like this.
    Certified troll.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    The rest of us were thinking it, he just stated it
    Well I don't appreciate the insinuations that I'm lying or misrepresenting the facts. My integrity is extremely important to me. I came in here asking for advice. If you think for some reason that I'm being dishonest, then so be it. I can't convince you over the internet that I'm a man of integrity, and I don't need to. I appreciate any other input anybody may have.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert Arizona
    Posts
    2,120
    You're mistake was that as an aspiring Police Officer you didn't leave the party when the pot came out...you choose to stick around...by your own admissions you stuck around the smokers for five minutes....really??? Five minutes around people smoking dope .... you do realize why we would think this is just an excuse to blame your positive results on second hand smoke don't you....you don't have to like the answers we give and can get as butt hurt as you'd like...non of us care too much because we're already where you want to be.
    TK5 and NAVYATOR like this.

  16. #16
    Police Officer
    Michigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Well I don't appreciate the insinuations that I'm lying or misrepresenting the facts. My integrity is extremely important to me. I came in here asking for advice. If you think for some reason that I'm being dishonest, then so be it. I can't convince you over the internet that I'm a man of integrity, and I don't need to. I appreciate any other input anybody may have.
    I apologize. You didn't deserve it. I suggest when your testicles drop and you stop wearing your panties so tight you apply to PhillyPD ASAP - you're a shoe-in!
    Certified troll.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    You're mistake was that as an aspiring Police Officer you didn't leave the party when the pot came out...you choose to stick around...by your own admissions you stuck around the smokers for five minutes....really??? Five minutes around people smoking dope .... you do realize why we would think this is just an excuse to blame your positive results on second hand smoke don't you....you don't have to like the answers we give and can get as butt hurt as you'd like...non of us care too much because we're already where you want to be.
    I'll clear the air. I realize I used poor judgement in not leaving immediately. However, the insinuation seemed to be that I actually smoked it myself and am simply distorting the truth. That's what irritated me. I understand that all of you are officers and have already earned the public's trust. I don't mean to seem "butthurt" or like I'm not taking responsibility for my actions. I just didn't like that some posters automatically assumed that I was lying about my story. I apologize if I came off the wrong way.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,770
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Thanks for the sarcastic, worthless response. People come on this forum to ask serious questions and get serious answers.
    Sir, I believe that WAS a serious reply, and possibly one you should take to heart. Your original question really begged the responses it got. All of them are 100% correct by the way. We've said this before, but perhaps you missed it. YOU don't get to dictate the replies you receive. No poster does. We do that.

    As a prospective applicant, you should have the innate common sense not to attend a party frequented by pot heads. Should you arrive at one innocently, then common sense would seem to indicate that you should leave immediately. That's the message we're attempting to convey.

    We don't have a dog in your fight, and it's really immaterial to us whether you're successful in your quest to enter this profession. Your ambitions should be important enough to you though, that you don't compromise your chances of entering our ranks.

    You've received absolutely no "worthless" responses. You have received some excellent advice, and it didn't cost you a damned dime.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,770
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Well I don't appreciate the insinuations that I'm lying or misrepresenting the facts. My integrity is extremely important to me. I came in here asking for advice. If you think for some reason that I'm being dishonest, then so be it. I can't convince you over the internet that I'm a man of integrity, and I don't need to. I appreciate any other input anybody may have.

    And this from a young man who has yet to face his first Oral Board. Watch it Ryan, that attitude could cost you the job you say you want. ................Really

  20. #20
    Off topic poster
    mookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wild wild west in AZ
    Posts
    1,096
    So I got a joke, the troll walks into a bar.....

    OP, I understand your beef about your integrity being questioned, however, how smart is it to engage in an internet argument with someone over a piddly question? You have maturity issues and I base that observation on your choice to chill with pot smokers for a bit, decision to remain at a party where illegal drug use was happening and your propensity to engage in a trivial argument on the internet.

    We deal with whiny ding-a-lings all the time, I'm wondering if you fall in that category. Best of luck.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    I assure you, I'm not in that mold. I was caught off guard by a few posts here and realized minutes later. I just got slightly miffed about a few of the posts and I probably shouldn't have taken them so offensively. You're quite right, this is after all, the internet.

  22. #22
    Night Watchman
    Street_Cop50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    DC metropolitan area
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Thanks for the sarcastic, worthless response. People come on this forum to ask serious questions and get serious answers.
    Fill this out and return ASAP!

    slamdunc, mdrdep, nuthead and 6 others like this.
    Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Thanks for the sarcastic, worthless response. People come on this forum to ask serious questions and get serious answers.
    And when they ask cops for information, they will get information. It may be embedded in a self-righteous, sarcastic reply. There is a good reason for this; it is what it is. Cops tend to be a bit cynical when they are always trying to do the right thing.

    In this profession, you have to walk the walk, lead by example, and be 'do as I do, not as I say'. If you do not realize by now, this isn't about how the drug test is going to turn out, it is about your decision-making process, integrity, and now, your reactions to things you do not want to hear.


  24. #24
    It's Complicated
    Iowa #1603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    15,694
    Quote Originally Posted by TempleRyan View Post
    Well I don't appreciate the insinuations that I'm lying or misrepresenting the facts. My integrity is extremely important to me. I came in here asking for advice. If you think for some reason that I'm being dishonest, then so be it. I can't convince you over the internet that I'm a man of integrity, and I don't need to. I appreciate any other input anybody may have.

    First of all -----We don't know you from the door knob.

    The only thing we know about you is what you write. What you wrote showed some pretty poor decision making. Poor decision making is a disease that usually manifests itself by lying or “stretching the truth” in other instances.

    I wish I had a quarter for every Tom, Richard, or Harry that came on this forum in the last 7 yr and started a post just like you did……………then when questioned started to back pedal and revealed his/her true history of smoking a ton of pot while popping ecstasy, Meth or LSD.

    Second………those of us that are answering you in this post have been around a bit. We have a bit of experience with interviewing new applicants as well as interview/interrogation of suspects and are probably more than a little jaded in our experiences.

    You can’t believe the number of people who over the years have told us that the crack cocaine found in their pants isn’t theirs…………………….or that the pants they are wearing isn’t theirs.

    Thirdly……………………we don’t know you and really don’t care if your feelings get hurt a bit. What you get on this forum is our best answers based on our experiences. PERIOD.

    If you plan on a career in this field, you might as well get used to your integrity being questioned. It will happen every time you get put on the witness stand, every time that a suspect accuses you of something, & every time an Internal Affairs investigation is opened into some aspect of your duties. ALL of the above happens or will happen MANY times in the vast majority of Law Enforcement officers careers………

    If you can’t handle that…………………………you might want to re-think the job.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."



    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc


    I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    I predict you pass the drug test but fail the polygraph
    Well, if the polygraphs are indeed accurate, then I should pass with flying colors because I've hid nothing here nor do I plan to at any point in the process. Or were you just saying that because almost everybody failed the Philly polygraph last time?


    Iowa #1603's post has made me a lot more understanding regarding the responses. Obviously I don't know many cops, but it's easy to see how the job can make one cynical to certain stories such as mine. I'm genuinely grateful for the advice, regarding the situation and my attitude.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register