Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BanJoe
  • 1 Post By OsageCombatives

Thread: Psychological tests failed need retake...

Forum Member

Psychological tests failed need retake...

Hello guys my name is Carlos. Well finally after so many time of waiting patiently for my dream job I got the call, It was the Police Department where I applied for and my first choice. They gave me an appointment for a poly test and the psych the next day.
    The polygraph tester told me I did ok yesterday. Today I went to take my psychological test and the lady Psychologist came and told me that my answers were too perfect, and that she couldn't evaluate me on those 525 questions... That I needed a retake.
    Is this going to end my hiring process? What should I do?
    I don't even know what to do, because if I retake I probably would mark the same answers. No I don't what to kill myself, no I don't have a pain on top of my head, yes I'm scared of lightning.
    Is just frustrating how something that dumb may not allow you to reach your dreams.

Forum Member

OK Carlos, settle down. At this moment, this is not the end of your process. Based on your post the Psychologist wasn't able to properly evaluate your test. The retake is an opportunity for her to get a little bit better take on you, and your suitability for this particular agency.

It's entirely possible at this point for you to "over think" this whole deal. Please try not to. Also do not attempt to second guess the exam. Doing that is an almost certain recipe for failure. Mark what you think is the correct answer to each question in the test.

Some nervousness is totally understandable, but try to be well rested prior to taking the test. Relax, and as I suggested, don't over think any questions or the test in general. Good luck.

Dazed & Confused
    Psych tests aren't dumb.... Sometimes they are very useful...

And always they are useful for risk management for the city...

If they want you to re-take the test, and if you want the job, salute smartly and re-take the test.

Quibbling will only get you out of the process for sure...
    QuietPro and cgarvich like this.
    Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.

Forum Member

Well I guess you are right is just hard not to over think when you want to get hired so bad.

Forum Member
    You can take a psych test and fail out of the process, then reapply, take it again 6 months later from the same evaluator, pass and get the job. It is frustrating that a single person's opinion of you can decide whether or not you get a job, even if you've impressed everyone before the evaluator. But it is what it is.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    No test is perfect. Be it a mechanical, chemical, or paper based. Add to the issue the fact that a human must interpret the results and make a final determination and you have what we seem to have here.

As others have already said; calm down, cool your jets and retake the test. Only a sociopath would have a test that is “too perfect” but then again, perhaps they would know that and adjust their answers accordingly. In the rare case you are a sociopath, the psychologist should be able to discern that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Forum Member

There is a common misconception that an "invalid" psychological test is an indicator of deception. Of course, that can and often is the case, but a good tester will take a look at the answers and attempt to determine why the test was invalid. Often, they will determine that the applicant was simply not being objective enough in their own self-evaluation and give them another chance. That seems to be the case here.

When you go to take the re-test, attempt to answer the questions as honestly as possible instead of the way you think that they should be answered. If you read a question and say to yourself, "Yea, maybe, but that's not how I really am," use caution as you are about to answer in a way that you want to be true instead of a way that really is true. It's not that you are trying to be deceitful so much as you are trying to show yourself in the best light. Do NOT do that. The test will weed you out every time and return "invalid." Answer the questions the way any third party objective person would answer them about you (if they knew your most intimate details) and not the way you want to answer them.

Follow that advice and I'm willing to bet that your test will return valid.
    J0RDAN likes this.