Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SgtCHP
  • 1 Post By mookster

Thread: Legally transporting a gun in my car

Forum Member

Legally transporting a gun in my car

In the next 3 weeks or so, I will be purchasing my first gun. Of course all legal requirements will be followed since, no offense, but I don't want any LEO's hunting for me.

=^)

I will be obtaining my Handgun Safety Certificate and will be conducting the PPT through a licensed FFL dealer.

When it comes to transporting my gun, what rules and laws do I need to be aware of?

I am pretty sure the gun must be properly secured by the required lockout device (trigger lock or cable lock inside a case or safe). I am pretty sure ammunition must be secured separately. And one or the other must be unobtainable from the drivers seat (gun, or ammo, or both locked in the trunk).

But, let's say for example, I wanted to go out of state because I wanted to shoot with family. Is there anything I need to be aware of when crossing state lines?

One more question if I may. Say I get pulled over.... Is it preferred to advise the officer I have an unloaded secure gun in the trunk? I know just the mention of a gun makes law enforcement twitch, so I want to do everything I can to make the interaction as smooth as possible for both of us.

Thanks for all your insight.

All things to all people! CountyCorrectionOfficer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
    In the next 3 weeks or so, I will be purchasing my first gun. Of course all legal requirements will be followed since, no offense, but I don't want any LEO's hunting for me.

=^)

I will be obtaining my Handgun Safety Certificate and will be conducting the PPT through a licensed FFL dealer.

When it comes to transporting my gun, what rules and laws do I need to be aware of?

I am pretty sure the gun must be properly secured by the required lockout device (trigger lock or cable lock inside a case or safe). I am pretty sure ammunition must be secured separately. And one or the other must be unobtainable from the drivers seat (gun, or ammo, or both locked in the trunk).

But, let's say for example, I wanted to go out of state because I wanted to shoot with family. Is there anything I need to be aware of when crossing state lines?

One more question if I may. Say I get pulled over.... Is it preferred to advise the officer I have an unloaded secure gun in the trunk? I know just the mention of a gun makes law enforcement twitch, so I want to do everything I can to make the interaction as smooth as possible for both of us.

Thanks for all your insight.
    First off, are you asking about a Handgun or a rifle/shotgun? If it's a rifle/shotgun the weapon MUST be secured in the vehicle, UNLOADED, and ammo kept separate.

Now on the handgun issue: Each state has own licensing procedures for handgun owners and you need to find out whether your home state of California has reciprocal agreements with other states that will honor your CA handgun license. I will assume you have a full carry CCW pistol permit.Be aware that New York State DOES NOT honor any out-of-state pistol licenses!!

You are responsible for knowing what states will honor your CA pistol license if you decide to cross state lines with your pistol. A good source of information is on the U.S. Concealed carry Association website.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Find it fast, find it easy:

Traveling with Firearms in California
    JustAJ likes this.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member
    BATFE has the information in a book that can either be downloaded in PDF format or ordered free of charge. The legalese can be somewhat confusing, but the information is there.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/fire...ion/index.html

OP, you gotta be specific on this one. AZ and CA are right next to each other and are vastly different in the laws. What AZ says is good to go could quite possibly get you prison time in CA. One example, CA has very stringent CCW laws where as in AZ we do not require a CCW permit for AZ residents. Get caught CCW'ing in cali without a permit, it's bad juju. In AZ, it's the norm to CCW without a permit.

It's quite different between the states.
    Michigan likes this.

Out of curiosity why would you tell a police officer you have a gun in the trunk? AND more specifically why do you think that might make the stop go smoother?
    Last edited by ummone; 08-03-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ummone View Post
    Out of curiosity why would you tell a police officer you have a gun in the trunk? AND more specifically why do you think that might make the stop go smoother?
    Am I not required to inform an officer on a stop that I have a weapon in my vehicle - I thought I was?
    Always have done in the past, even if it was in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewevans View Post
    Am I not required to inform an officer on a stop that I have a weapon in my vehicle - I thought I was?
    Well...I'm not going to answer that question because some jacktard will misconstrue it. What I will say is you sound like you need to be asking your questions to a lawyer that practices in the states you plan on traveling in.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Find it fast, find it easy:

Traveling with Firearms in California
    Thanks. That does help a little bit. It confirms what I suspected was true.

Quote Originally Posted by FireCop203 View Post
    BATFE has the information in a book that can either be downloaded in PDF format or ordered free of charge. The legalese can be somewhat confusing, but the information is there.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/fire...ion/index.html
    Thanks. I haven't read that yet, but I have it saved on my reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    OP, you gotta be specific on this one. AZ and CA are right next to each other and are vastly different in the laws. What AZ says is good to go could quite possibly get you prison time in CA. One example, CA has very stringent CCW laws where as in AZ we do not require a CCW permit for AZ residents. Get caught CCW'ing in cali without a permit, it's bad juju. In AZ, it's the norm to CCW without a permit.

It's quite different between the states.
    As per my profile, I am definitely in So Cal. And I do not plan on CCW. Never even mentioned it.

I always thought you had to tell them. That's why I asked. Obviously you don't want to yell out "I HAVE A GUN!!!!" as he is approaching the car, but I wanted to know proper protocol.

If you are saying I do not need to inform the of my possession, I would like to know what statute that falls under.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewevans View Post
    Me too.

Well...I'm not going to answer that question because some jacktard will misconstrue it. What I will say is you sound like you need to be asking your questions to a lawyer that practices in the states you plan on traveling in.
    Understandable. Thanks for your help anyways.

There is no statute saying you have to notify a peace officer of a gun in the state of California. If the officer asks if there are any weapons in the car, admit it. If he doesn't bring it up there is no need for you to either if the gun is in the trunk. If the gun is somewhere he might see it then let him know before hand.
    Today's Quote:

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."

Ronald Reagan

I understood your question in your first post. I was merely providing you with an example of how varied gun laws can be from state to state. I'm now going to look for a crayon font so I can color a picture for people.