Page 16 of 26 First ... 613141516171819 ... Last
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Texas DPS Academy A-2013

Forum Member

We got to see some of the B-2012 class in their blue polos, boots, tactical pants, duty belt w weapon (no magazine). Looked sharp. Congrats B-2012!!

Forum Member

Does anyone know what kind of tactical boots are the best ones to buy? I've been looking at some online, and also I spoke to the Recruiting office and they said that short and long sleeve tshirts must be vneck. For the blue shorts they prefer for them to be cotton because I had bought some mesh shorts at academy and they said no, they rather them be cotton. The list is a little confusing but I hope I get all the right stuff.
    Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Part-time ninja

Nike Special Field boot. In over 10-years of wearing boots, they're the lightest and truly feel like tennis shoes. http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...75/pgid-438377

Forum Member

Hey Iamacop, Thank you so much I will look into that. Appreciate it. Would I be able to shine them too?
    Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

j_coronado

wow so we will be having 130 people at the academy that is great hope everyone gets the station they want, im from san antonio but doubt i will get anythin close to home. good luck everyone

Forum Member

Your best option for San Antonio is look for something a little further south. They always have openings down there. At least you will still be in driving range of S.A
    j_coronado likes this.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=iamacop;3193867]Nike Special Field boot. In over 10-years of wearing boots, they're the lightest and truly feel like tennis shoes.

They are good boots. I wore them on deployments in Iraq, their durability has some questioning though. I bought 5.11 boots. They seem pretty good. I know that everyone. At the office I am interning at has the 5.11. I have also heard that they do not last long either though.

j_coronado

Quote Originally Posted by andrewt_21 View Post
    Your best option for San Antonio is look for something a little further south. They always have openings down there. At least you will still be in driving range of S.A
    where area or city do you plan to get station andrew if u dont mind me asking! and thanks fr the info

Forum Member

When I started the process the academy date was January 15th. We found out yesterday that it starts January 21st.

Alright meow!
    The last few have been postponed at least once. Hopefully this one starts on time.
    Now I'm just crossing my fingers and waiting on a good news email.

Forum Member

Hopefully either Williamson county or burnet county

Forum Member

Hey andrew! Which 5.11? Does it have to be a 6" or 8"? Can we use the zipper boots?

Forum Member

From what I was told you can have zipper boots. I think mine are called speed 2.0. They are 6 in I got tired of the tall ones from the army. I bought mine at gt distributor in Austin but their website is gtdist.com

Forum Member
    Congrats to you guys passing the board! I can't think of a better Christmas present!
    TX DPS
    Application:24 Aug 2012
    Notice for step 2: 24 Aug 2012
    PT Test: Passed 31 Oct 2012
    Written Test: Passed 31 Oct 2012
    Polygraph: Passed 1 Nov 2012
    Background: Complete 27 Nov - 9 Dec 2012
    Oral Board: Passed 7 Jan 2013 conditional offer of employment
    Phys/Psych: Passed 8 Jan 2013
    Invitation: 10 Jan 2013 (A-2013)

Forum Member
    Nike boots definitely lack the durability needed in austere environments. For a Trooper they may hold up just fine. 5.11's are good, they issued us all 5.11 gear for the company I work with now; a bit pricey.

You guys may want to look at LAPOLICEGEAR.COM, they have a lot of apparel (5.11, etc...) at fairly reasonable prices.
    TX DPS
    Application:24 Aug 2012
    Notice for step 2: 24 Aug 2012
    PT Test: Passed 31 Oct 2012
    Written Test: Passed 31 Oct 2012
    Polygraph: Passed 1 Nov 2012
    Background: Complete 27 Nov - 9 Dec 2012
    Oral Board: Passed 7 Jan 2013 conditional offer of employment
    Phys/Psych: Passed 8 Jan 2013
    Invitation: 10 Jan 2013 (A-2013)

Forum Member

Yea, I also got tired of the 8" boots. That is why I wanted 6" boots. I am just waiting for the letter and then its shopping time. I asked Santa for an acceptance letter for Christmas.
    CADENA1 likes this.

Forum Member

The Nike boots don't look very durable. Although, the are definitely lite weight.

Part-time ninja

Quote Originally Posted by CADENA1 View Post
    Hey Iamacop, Thank you so much I will look into that. Appreciate it. Would I be able to shine them too?
    Yes, you can easily put a high gloss shine on them. Folks may complain about the durability (because they make a military version and most folks beat them up overseas), but I've had them for a year and they're still holding up without any issues. Very good feeling, especially if you're gonna have to run in them.
    Last edited by iamacop; 12-13-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Forum Member

I got the acceptance email this morning! Very thankful and looking forward to meeting everyone in January! Good luck everyone!
    admliz likes this.

Forum Member

Okay Military guys, I'm going to go with the Tact boot for the academy. Never shined a boot before, what are the best products and techniques to use for the best results?

Forum Member

Thank you, its good to know cause I might get some of those, I am looking for something comfortable and at the same time I can shine them. I guess its back to old days in Army shining boots. Good thing I got good at it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by admliz View Post
    Okay Military guys, I'm going to go with the Tact boot for the academy. Never shined a boot before, what are the best products and techniques to use for the best results?
    Hey well I know when I shined my boots in the Army I used Kiwi, water, a cotton tshirt and a blow dryer. Believe it or not it works good, I could literally see myself in them. I am going to buy a Kiwi shining kit and pack my blowdryer. Just in case your wondering, the blow dryer I used it to melt the kiwi and give it a better shine. Hope this helps
    andrewt_21 likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks Cadena,
    will they need to be shined right out of the box? Or just when they have been worn for awhile?

Forum Member

I am with cadena, I use kiwi water and cotton balls. I shined mine right out of the box. If you want a real good shine put on your base coats then add one layer of kiwi parade gloss

Forum Member

Congratulations! When did you take your board and psych/medical?

Page 16 of 26 First ... 613141516171819 ... Last