Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeEng
  • 1 Post By USMC_MP

Thread: Post 9/11 GI Bill While attending Academy

Forum Member

Post 9/11 GI Bill While attending Academy

I finally got hired with the Colorado Springs Police Department and begin the academy 31 October. I am a retired Marine and want to use my Post 9-11 GI Bill during the academy in order to pay for my housing--it isn't a live in academy. My question is can I use the GI Bill and rake in the extra $1200 a month in housing allowance? If so, how do I go about this process?
    Thanks.

Forum Member

I've been using the Post 9/11 GI Bill for college, but if all goes according to plan and I get hired with a department I'm currently in the hiring process with, I will use my GI benefits with them (even though I'll be on salary during the academy - so salary + housing allowance ). Yes, the VA will give you a housing allowance if your academy is accredited by the VA. The police department will have someone that handles GI benefits and getting all that sorted out for you. I'd call either the city's HR office, or the department's recruitment line. If they can't assist you directly, they'll steer you in the right direction.

Forum Member

I should add that if a department is recognized by the VA and accepts GI benefits, not only do they pay out during the academy, but they'll also likely pay out for on the job training too (which would be your field training period, post academy). So depending on the length of the academy and field training for CO springs, you could get almost a years worth of housing allowance on top of your salary. But again, someone at the department will be able to clarify/confirm all this for you.

Forum Member
    Post 9/11 bill does not work with Police Academy training. It falls under older Ch. 30 GI Bill as OJT/apprenticeship program. When I went thru academy, a VA rep came the first week to help set us vets up in program. It is very painful process as my 27 week academy was almost complete before I received 1 dime from the program. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ofc. Burbank View Post
    Post 9/11 bill does not work with Police Academy training. It falls under older Ch. 30 GI Bill as OJT/apprenticeship program. When I went thru academy, a VA rep came the first week to help set us vets up in program. It is very painful process as my 27 week academy was almost complete before I received 1 dime from the program. Good luck.
    Initially Post 9/11 wasn't set up to be used for apprenticeship/OJT but now it can be used for that.

It's plainly stated on the VA's website (second paragraph):
    http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/po...ill/index.html
    Last edited by Ignite; 07-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah, the Colorado DVA Director called me today and we had a 30 minute conversation...He stated that I can use it during the academy and up to 2 years...which is great. He also said he personally talked to the CSPD training Sgt and they are now on the same sheet of music...All Veteran who are on 9/11 GI Bill will now be given the opportunity to use their benefits....Thanks for all the help!!!
    Ignite likes this.

LE @ 6000 feet!
    Post 9/11 paid for all of my academy expenses as well as my BAH. I got out of the USMC in January 2012
    JoeEng likes this.
    RIP Cpl Chris Singer (USMC)

Forum Member

USMC MP,

How long did it take before you started receiving your BAH payments? Thanks,

Joe

LE @ 6000 feet!
    Check your inbox, PM Sent

Forum Member

For those that have received Post 9/11 benefits in the academy, what percentage of the housing allowance did you get? I've heard it's not 100%.

What about for those that used it during field training? Same as in the academy?

LE @ 6000 feet!
    Ignite,

Depends on how many credit hours your academy is worth, I went to a modular academy in California and was still full time receiving full time BAH payment. $2199 a month here in Sacramento

I know you can receive BAH for on the job training BAH if your department is on the VA approved list. Check out the GI Bill site to view approved departments.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_MP View Post
    Ignite,

Depends on how many credit hours your academy is worth, I went to a modular academy in California and was still full time receiving full time BAH payment. $2199 a month here in Sacramento

I know you can receive BAH for on the job training BAH if your department is on the VA approved list. Check out the GI Bill site to view approved departments.
    Thanks. I got with the department and was told that we get education benefits during the academy (I assume 100% BAH), and then we get on the job training benefits during FTO.

Forum Member

Can you use Post9/11 if you Academy is not a live in? Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shurebuddy View Post
    Can you use Post9/11 if you Academy is not a live in? Thanks!
    Yes, but whether your specific academy is covered is a different question. You'd have to contact the department you're looking at to see if they honor any GI benefits.