Page 1 of 61 12341151 ... Last
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: New York City Deputy City Sheriff Exam - Filing Starts 08/01/12

S*** just got real!

New York City Deputy City Sheriff Exam - Filing Starts 08/01/12

There is an upcoming exam for the position of Deputy City Sheriff in New York City coming up. The filing dates are 08/01/12 - 08/21/12.

This is the first exam being given in at least five years, and may be the last one being given for at least five more.

You can check for more information on or after August 1st by clicking on the link below:
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...schedule.shtml

If anyone has any questions about the job, I will do my best to answer them.

If you decide to take the exam, I wish you luck.
    j.nosferatu, knicksh2o and DIDO like this.

DENIED!
    Attention prospects, as per the old exam, you need a) a bachelorette degree, Or

b) a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and two years of honorable full- time U.S. military service or satisfactory professional or paraprofessional experience in law enforcement, civil enforcement, criminal justice, law, accounting, auditing, investigation, public administration, business administration, or closely related field; or

C)education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. College education can be substituted for the required experience in "2" above on the basis that each 30 semester credits is equated to six months of experience. However, all candidates must have a four-year high school.diploma or its educational equivalent.

S*** just got real!
    Some folks Pm'd me a few questions which I will answer here for anyone interested:

The Sheriff's Office is small, very small by NYPD standards. We currently have about 110 uniformed personnel. The rumored amount looking to be hired immediately (if the city allows it) is about 22 deputies. There are a number of deputies eligible to retire so that number could change.

In the past couple of tests, as NYCTNT posted, it required a bachelors or equivalent. Much of that was because we had deputies who were provisional and the experience requirement would help them. At this time we have no provisionals so I do not know if the experience part will be lowered. I do know that they are looking to get younger blood into the office and basing some of it on experience again gives older people the advantage.

The job has a 25-year retirement at 55%. The pay scale is similar to NYPD's, topping out in the upper 70's base for deputy, but NYPD has better benefits. Deputies are peace officers 24/7 and are encouraged to carry off duty unless going out drinking.

All things to all people!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCDep View Post
    Some folks Pm'd me a few questions which I will answer here for anyone interested:

The Sheriff's Office is small, very small by NYPD standards. We currently have about 110 uniformed personnel. The rumored amount looking to be hired immediately (if the city allows it) is about 22 deputies. There are a number of deputies eligible to retire so that number could change.

In the past couple of tests, as NYCTNT posted, it required a bachelors or equivalent. Much of that was because we had deputies who were provisional and the experience requirement would help them. At this time we have no provisionals so I do not know if the experience part will be lowered. I do know that they are looking to get younger blood into the office and basing some of it on experience again gives older people the advantage.

The job has a 25-year retirement at 55%. The pay scale is similar to NYPD's, topping out in the upper 70's base for deputy, but NYPD has better benefits. Deputies are peace officers 24/7 and are encouraged to carry off duty unless going out drinking.
    I might add the NYC Sheriff's Office is under the NYC Dept. of Finance The deputies are primarily CIVIL OFFICERS engaged in process serving. Thanks for posting!!

Forum Member

NYCDEP, do you know if unarmed peace officer status will fulfill the experience requirements in place of the bachelors degree

Forum Member

Do deputies go through the regular police academy or is it different since they hold peace officer status?

Quote Originally Posted by Future01 View Post
    Do deputies go through the regular police academy or is it different since they hold peace officer status?

No, they go through Basic Peace officer training with firearms. Emphasis is on civil process (evictions, garnishments, sheriff's auctions, FCA etc.) It's not a bad job at all! I believe NYC residency is required.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

No, they go through Basic Peace officer training with firearms. Emphasis is on civil process (evictions, garnishments, sheriff's auctions, FCA etc.) It's not a bad job at all! I believe NYC residency is required.
    Thanks for the information. Is NYC residency required at time of civil service application or appointment?

Forum Member

Edited for blindness.
    Last edited by Scottydons87; 07-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydons87 View Post
    How big is the department? Wondering how many they'll be looking to process.
    Read above.

S*** just got real!
    Quote Originally Posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post

NYC residency is NOT required. It is like PD, you can live as far as any county connected to a county that is connected to NYC. Example: You can live in Suffolk County which is connected to Nassau County, which is connected to NYC.

The Sheriff's Office has it's own academy which covers basic peace officer training plus.

We have a county office in each county and a couple of specialized units.

County offices handle processes, warrants, evictions, seizures, arrests, etc... filed by the public, attorneys, Office of Children and Family Services, and the courts.

Our Warrants Unit handles only processes and warrants for the HRA/ACS (i.e. deadbeat parents, neglect, and juvenile delinquents)

Our Kendra's Unit arrests the mentally ill based on Mental Health warrants.

Our new Cigarette Tax Enforcement Unit does buy and bust operations and inspections to stem the flow of illegal cigarettes coming into and being sold in the city. (Our current Sheriff was Deputy Director of the ATF before he became Sheriff) This is the unit they are most looking to bulk up.

Our even newer Truck Enforcement Unit is cracking down on over weight, over length trucks, and trucks that use non-truck routes.

We are also now running a pilot program where people who owe the City money are having their cars booted. We protect and enforce the seizure while private vendors boot the vehicles.

We also somehow also got stuck doing Auto Theft investigation and Auctions for the City Marshals.

In the last few tests given, previous law enforcement experience counted for up to 15% of your final test score. It is unknown at this time if that trend will continue for this test.

NYC residency is NOT required. It is like PD, you can live as far as any county connected to a county that is connected to NYC. Example: You can live in Suffolk County which is connected to Nassau County, which is connected to NYC.

The Sheriff's Office has it's own academy which covers basic peace officer training plus.

We have a county office in each county and a couple of specialized units.

County offices handle processes, warrants, evictions, seizures, arrests, etc... filed by the public, attorneys, Office of Children and Family Services, and the courts.

Our Warrants Unit handles only processes and warrants for the HRA/ACS (i.e. deadbeat parents, neglect, and juvenile delinquents)

Our Kendra's Unit arrests the mentally ill based on Mental Health warrants.

Our new Cigarette Tax Enforcement Unit does buy and bust operations and inspections to stem the flow of illegal cigarettes coming into and being sold in the city. (Our current Sheriff was Deputy Director of the ATF before he became Sheriff) This is the unit they are most looking to bulk up.

Our even newer Truck Enforcement Unit is cracking down on over weight, over length trucks, and trucks that use non-truck routes.

We are also now running a pilot program where people who owe the City money are having their cars booted. We protect and enforce the seizure while private vendors boot the vehicles.

We also somehow also got stuck doing Auto Theft investigation and Auctions for the City Marshals.

In the last few tests given, previous law enforcement experience counted for up to 15% of your final test score. It is unknown at this time if that trend will continue for this test.
    Sounds like a good deal....I always liked civil work!!

Forum Member
    In a couple of months I'm going to get Peace Officer certification through Auxiliary, since Auxiliary isn't Law Enforcement, but the training we get is, does that count for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by LINY View Post
    In a couple of months I'm going to get Peace Officer certification through Auxiliary, since Auxiliary isn't Law Enforcement, but the training we get is, does that count for anything?

It all depends upon the agency that employs occupational peace officers. Generally speaking, peace officer training is centered on the specialized duties that particular occupational peace officer performs. Once you graduate your Nassau County AP academy: you should be receiving a "PEACE OFFICER without firearms" Training Certificate. This is not certification since the NYSDJS DOES NOT certify [or license] peace officers.

Again, if you are being considered for an occupational peace officer position, you might want to bring up the topic of having the training certificate from DCJS to the appointing authority Note that if you become a county correction officer and receive the necessary training as prescribed by the State Commission On Corrections: This training is valid only throughout the course of your continued employment with the county [or another if you lateral transfer] and 12 months thereafter upon separation from service
    LINY likes this.

Forum Member

what is the age limit?

S*** just got real!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoe66 View Post
    what is the age limit?
    Unless things change for this test, I do not think there is an age limit.

Regardless of previous experience, which may or may not assist you in getting the job, you will have to go through the academy. That's the bad news. The good news is that the academy is not like PD's. You are treated like an adult, with no abuse just for the sake of abusing.

Even if you have law enforcement experience that makes getting through the criminal law parts easy, the civil law parts are probably going to be somewhat new to you.
    MPDCjock likes this.

Forum Member
    Do they take laterals? Do they pay more for having advanced degrees? What's the hiring process?

Forum Member

Unless things change for this test, I do not think there is an age limit.

Regardless of previous experience, which may or may not assist you in getting the job, you will have to go through the academy. That's the bad news. The good news is that the academy is not like PD's. You are treated like an adult, with no abuse just for the sake of abusing.

Even if you have law enforcement experience that makes getting through the criminal law parts easy, the civil law parts are probably going to be somewhat new to you.
    NYCDep, What is the work schedule like for City Sheriff? Is it Mon to Fir with 3 shifts?

Forum Member

what is the hiring process like? written, physical, medical then what?

S*** just got real!
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDCjock View Post
    Do they take laterals? Do they pay more for having advanced degrees? What's the hiring process?
    what is the hiring process like? written, physical, medical then what?
    They took laterals many years ago, mostly from city and state corrections and parks. I don't know if they would still do it. They will not pay more for advanced degrees and we got some here, including lawyers and CPAs.

Hiring process similar to NYPD, but much faster. You take the written, medical & physical(given by PD), and psych (written and oral).

NYCDep, What is the work schedule like for City Sheriff? Is it Mon to Fir with 3 shifts?
    The work schedule for most units is a four day 40 hour work week. Usually either Mon-Thurs, or Tues-Fri. Weekends are usually only a special assignment for OT. All things subject to change of course. Work hours are different for each unit and are pretty flexible depending on the unit. Generally though, earliest tour starts at 4am and latest tour ends at midnight. Rarely weekends, almost never holidays.
    MPDCjock likes this.

Forum Member
    wow,besy law enf?orcement job ever. no weekend! I want this job. I read the annoucement from 2006,it stated 3 points extra on your test for every year of law enfrecement. So i have 6 points to add to my test. only thing im worried about is that the 2006 test,you had to be a NYC resident. Has this changed NYCDep?
    ZayPD likes this.

Forum Member

I took the last exam that was given.... my list number was in the 50's but didn't stand a chance getting hired since they were not looking to hire a lot of officers... nice gig.

Forum Member

hey nycdep, what is the starting salary now? is it still at around 28k or is it higher now? also what is the o/t like? how much o/t can a deputy sheriff make in the first year?

Forum Member
    How long is the Academy? I am definitely applying for this... thank you for sharing!
    NYPD Academy - July 2011 Session

Forum Member

what exactly does the physical test consist of???

Page 1 of 61 12341151 ... Last