Page 14 of 39 First ... 41112131415161724 ... Last
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: 2012 MTA Police Officer Exam Announcement

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
    Are you going to appeal the DQ?
    Didn't have a chance to. I didn't have the money to do so. I ran out of time to appeal it. Although I was really sad about it. I felt that life pointed me in another path than nypd, mta from what I hear is much better :-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ny666 View Post
    Didn't have a chance to. I didn't have the money to do so. I ran out of time to appeal it. Although I was really sad about it. I felt that life pointed me in another path than nypd, mta from what I hear is much better :-)
    *side note*

I think people need to band together and file a class action suit against any department that uses a questionnaire and a few hour of 'oral examination' to make an assessment on someones character that can impact future employment. In my opinion taking any police department personality questionnaire should be viewed in the same way as taking a personality test in any other line of work (either you pass or fail). It's sad because from what I read it seems as though these results can haunt you when it comes to further employment into law enforcement.

In reality it usually takes a few sessions with a psychologist to correctly diagnose someone with a mental illness.

Once again I'm not saying for departments to do away with the personality questionnaire, but I do think they should make it clear that failing their oral/written is in no way an indication a diagnosis of anything and thus should not be allowed to be used against you when seeking other employment.

I just finish an undergraduate degree in psychology and when we administered questionnaires to subjects they could score 100/100 on a personality scale, but we can only make assumptions as to whether or not this score means they are truly 'that' characteristic. Not even the professors with Ph.D's (who over sought our experiments) could make any assumptions of a questionnaire. It is general knowledge in the psychology field that you need to preform a battery of test and interviews before you can make that determination.

Most department 'psy exams' are quackery at best, and should be fought if only because they can do harm in the future.
    Last edited by the_granfalloon; 01-27-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    nycapomts likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_granfalloon View Post
    *side note*

I think people need to band together and file a class action suit against any department that uses a questionnaire and a few hour of 'oral examination' to make an assessment on someones character that can impact future employment. In my opinion taking any police department personality questionnaire should be viewed in the same way as taking a personality test in any other line of work (either you pass or fail). It's sad because from what I read it seems as though these results can haunt you when it comes to further employment into law enforcement.

In reality it usually takes a few sessions with a psychologist to correctly diagnose someone with a mental illness.

Once again I'm not saying for departments to do away with the personality questionnaire, but I do think they should make it clear that failing their oral/written is in no way an indication a diagnosis of anything and thus should not be allowed to be used against you when seeking other employment.

I just finish an undergraduate degree in psychology and when we administered questionnaires to subjects they could score 100/100 on a personality scale, but we can only make assumptions as to whether or not this score means they are truly 'that' characteristic. Not even the professors with Ph.D's (who over sought our experiments) could make any assumptions of a questionnaire. It is general knowledge in the psychology field that you need to preform a battery of test and interviews before you can make that determination.

Most department 'psy exams' are quackery at best, and should be fought if only because they can do harm in the future.
    I agree completely. It's sad how that oral psych exam, one person holds the power of your future, Smh. It should at least be done like a board. Where there are a couple of them analyzing you, then they would have to vote as to whether you proceed. If fail they would have to discuss it among each other

Forum Member

july of 2013 ? that would be great

Forum Member
    if mta is going to try and hire by july that would be awesome
    NYC DOC
    EXAM: 2322 02/2012
    SCORE: 8*.**
    LIST#:4**
    Orientation:??
    Medical:??
    Triage:??
    Written Psych:??
    Oral Psych:??
    Agility:??
    PE: ??

NYPD
    EXAM:3311 10/2012
    SCORE: 9*.**
    LIST:1**.**
    APD-5: ???
    Medical: ???
    Written Psych:???
    Oral Psych: ???
    JST: ???
    Met with BI: ???
    Mini-med: ???

Sanitation Enforcement agent
    EXAM: 3051

MTA Track worker
    Exam: 3600

Forum Member

Yes July 2013 and every 6 months there after (Jan / July) for quite a while. In preparation for the East side access plan to be completed in 2019.

Forum Member
    What's the starting and top pay for this job?

Forum Member

40k ish to start top out at 84k.
    MPDCjock likes this.

Forum Member
    What's the difference between them and MTA special inspectors?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHINYBADGE View Post
    40k ish to start top out at 84k.

Google mta police overtime...that's a good idea of what they make

Forum Member
    Anyone hear an update on exam results?

Forum Member

Supposedly the test is still on going. If they are going to do a July class you should start to hear things by April/May. Hope that helps.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PD3090 View Post
    Anyone hear an update on exam results?
    I had emailed them asking about this and got a response today. They basically said that we would get a result the end of this month by email. It will not be an actual score but a pass/fail.

Forum Member

without a score, how will they go about choosing which applicants to put through the hiring process? or will every applicant that passes go through it.

Forum Member
    Probably randomly just like exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sti1189 View Post
    without a score, how will they go about choosing which applicants to put through the hiring process? or will every applicant that passes go through it.
    They hand pick who they want with a few randoms thrown in to make it seem legit. Oh I mean it's arbitrarily random.
    rangerkid likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CAnde View Post
    They hand pick who they want with a few randoms thrown in to make it seem legit. Oh I mean it's arbitrarily random.
    I like this way a lot better than the NYPD or FDNY. Meet the minimum qualifications, get randomly selected to take the exam, pass the exam, get randomly selected for further review.

This eliminates any discrimination arguments and eliminates entitlements.

Try being an average guy and entering the FDNY lol good luck with that.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=the_granfalloon;3232209]I like this way a lot better than the NYPD or FDNY. Meet the minimum qualifications, get randomly selected to take the exam, pass the exam, get randomly selected for further review.

This eliminates any discrimination arguments and eliminates entitlements.

Not sure if your being sarcastic? So you saying someone who prepared and aced the written and physical should be passed over to someone who barely scrapes by? You call that an entitlement, i call that earning their spot. Any plenty of average guys joined the fdny, they just worked for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ny666 View Post
    I agree completely. It's sad how that oral psych exam, one person holds the power of your future, Smh. It should at least be done like a board. Where there are a couple of them analyzing you, then they would have to vote as to whether you proceed. If fail they would have to discuss it among each other
    While, nothing in this world is perfect, the lawsuit that the above poster makes reference to would likely fail. State and Federal courts have ruled that due to the sensitive nature of police work and the level of authority and powers granted to Officers, the appointing agency has broad authority when it comes to selecting and disqualifying candidates for these positions. It's why Polygraphs and Psych screenings are given in the first place for Law Enforcement positions when they are otherwise illegal for other jobs

Forum Member

2013-2016 MTA Police (HQ) preliminary budget - Hiring plan

As our transportation system expands, MTA is taking steps to ensure additional
    protection is provided for our customers, employees and facilities. Beginning in 2013,
    the July Plan includes costs for the hiring of 12 MTAPD positions to enable the MTA
    Police to increase patrol at the Atlantic Avenue Terminal for the new Barclays Center.
    In 2015 funding is provided for the hiring of 5 MTAPD positions for patrolling the
    Moynihan project, an expansion of the west end concourse at Penn Station. Lastly, the
    July Plan includes funding in 2016 for the MTAPD to begin a hiring schedule for
    approximately 30 new officers each July which will be used to augment safety and
    security throughout the MTA system and be available to establish a fully-trained security
    presence for East Side Access when it opens in 2019. Funding is also included for
    projects and planning related expenses, specifically for oversight of the West Side
    Yards Development project. This project has no net cost impact, since all funding is
    reimbursable by the project developer.
    That is from MTA HQ preliminary budget for 2013-2016. According to that, they plan on hiring 12 this July, and then not hire again until 2015. Even then it's only a preliminary hiring of five (in 2015.) Lets hope they dont skip hiring in 2014, but you never know. Hope this helps answer any hiring questions. If anyone hears otherwise feel free to post.

Forum Member

Hate to burst your bubbles, but most, if not all, of the future hires will be NYPD P.O.'s that passed the exam and passed all phases of the hiring process. MTA usually hires them first since they can lateral over to MTA without having to attend the academy. This has been the trend for the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, a very select few will be hired and put through the NYPD academy but those spots are very limited (usually people with hooks). Just keeping it real. Good luck!
    Last edited by BlueBlood352; 02-13-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Forum Member

are they going to investigate everyone who passed or only a select few and then choose 12 from them ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood352 View Post
    Hate to burst your bubbles, but most, if not all, of the future hires will be NYPD P.O.'s that passed the exam and passed all phases of the hiring process. MTA usually hires them first since they can lateral over to MTA without having to attend the academy. This has been the trend for the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, a very select few will be hired and put through the NYPD academy but those spots are very limited (usually people with hooks). Just keeping it real. Good luck!
    You can get on without a hook and without being an NYPD cop. The department has only been around since 1998 as the MTA police
    MPDCjock likes this.

Forum Member

just got my result at 10:10PM today 2/14/2013.... I pass
    SCPD 95
    NYPD 2311/1XXX
    Medical 2/12/14 done
    Psychwritten 2/18/14
    oral psych 3/3/14
    BI meeting 4/10/14
    Jst 4/14/14
    Mini med
    Academy

Forum Member

Got my email at around 10:50 pm. I also passed the exam.

Page 14 of 39 First ... 41112131415161724 ... Last