Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By xDIPLOMATIC

Thread: Longest you waited to hear back anytime during your hiring process?

Delabole Height's Finest

Longest you waited to hear back anytime during your hiring process?

The long and short of it, as most of you know, I have started the hiring process after receiving my conditional offer of employment with a local department. It was a very speedy process in the beginning, as they were trying to hurry me along for the July police academy to get my certification.

In about a month I completed my background packet, passed my background investigation, and taken my polygraph. Two days after my polygraph, I did a follow up interview with the Background investigator in which he told me I may need to come back to test on a certain part of the test, though I may not depending on what the chief decided to do.

It's been 2 weeks and a day since I last heard from the detective. I have called once a few days ago just to find out what my status was in the process, but my call wasn't returned. I haven't received anything in the mail from the department neither. I am the only applicant in the process and they have only one vacancy.

My question is this, is this unusual? Obviously every hiring process differs and everybody is different, I was just looking for a round about answer. The longest I went without hearing from him before this was about a week? I'm just trying to get an idea. Thanks guys!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

Forum Member

LOL, I've waited 6+ months before in a hiring process before moving from one step to another....

Just depends, you can always call and politely ask for a status update. But I wouldn't make a habit of it.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingo990 View Post

Just depends, .
    Not trying to be a smart arse -------but that is the way it is.

The chief makes decisions on hiring and how fast it goes
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    One time three days, another time, five months. Like the previous posters said, it really just depends. Some factors: number of applicants and interviews, number of positions, and budget, and if the agency is merely establishing an eligibility list or actually hiring. Good luck at any rate.

Delabole Height's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    One time three days, another time, five months. Like the previous posters said, it really just depends. Some factors: number of applicants and interviews, number of positions, and budget, and if the agency is merely establishing an eligibility list or actually hiring. Good luck at any rate.

Thanks alot. The eligibility list was made 2 years ago, and the list expired. I was at the top of the list when the vacancy came up, and there is nobody behind me since the list was thrown away after May 21st. They are re-testing for the next 2 years sometime in July I know, so as of right now it's just me.

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

Forum Member

No, your situation is not at all unusual. Happens all the time. Needless to say, the definitive answer to your question will have to come from the department you applied to. Your anxiety is perfectly understandable. From what I can gather from your post, your Polygraph Exam may have caused some question(s). Past that, about I can do is to speculate, and that really does you no good. It's easy for me to say, but presently I'd wait just a little longer ( a week or two) before again checking on my status. Hope things work out for you.

Delabole Height's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    No, your situation is not at all unusual. Happens all the time. Needless to say, the definitive answer to your question will have to come from the department you applied to. Your anxiety is perfectly understandable. From what I can gather from your post, your Polygraph Exam may have caused some question(s). Past that, about I can do is to speculate, and that really does you no good. It's easy for me to say, but presently I'd wait just a little longer ( a week or two) before again checking on my status. Hope things work out for you.
    Thank you very much. I'm not sure if you can answer this question, but I was wondering, I thought the polygraph examination is either pass or fail. They never told me either way, just spoke with me about it. I don't have too much experience with it, since this is the first one i've ever taken. I'm just confused as to how they go.

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xDIPLOMATIC View Post
    Thank you very much. I'm not sure if you can answer this question, but I was wondering, I thought the polygraph examination is either pass or fail. They never told me either way, just spoke with me about it. I don't have too much experience with it, since this is the first one i've ever taken. I'm just confused as to how they go.

I'm neither a Polygraph Examiner, nor am I an expert on the subject. Apparently, your exam raised a question in the mind of the examiner. This does NOT mean you were lying. The Polygraph is a very controversial device. Even a cursory review of the numerous discussions we've done on the subject will make that evident to you. The usual practice of most agencies in situations like yours is to offer the applicant the opportunity to take a second Polygraph. OTH, the Chief may decide to hire you, or not hire you based on the results of the initial exam . Now, please understand that I'm speculating here, and I'm really reluctant to do much more of that. There is NO across the board, uniform procedure which will address the question(s) you have.

It's Complicated
    I thought the polygraph examination is either pass or fail.
    That is another one of the MANY fallacies surrounding polygraphs. (I also am not an examiner or an expert on the subject)

A polygraph is an investigative tool...................nothing more, nothing less.

Many times when an investigator does his job (investigates) he/she runs into grey spots. Those are neither black or white nor truth or false. Those "grey areas" need more investigation. It sounds like that happened in your polygraph.

Many times these are called inconclusive test results. SOME departments end their investigation right there and DQ the person........others put more into the process and investigate further.......It sounds like your department left that decision up to the chief to make
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Although I passed my second poly-I failed my first. Same questions-same answers. I Appriciate the polygraph for what it is-but know that the first time it gave a "false" reading if you will. To the OP-I waited over 4 months between my test and interview. I waited a quite a while (not over 2 months) to finish my bgi

Delabole Height's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy182 View Post
    Although I passed my second poly-I failed my first. Same questions-same answers. I Appriciate the polygraph for what it is-but know that the first time it gave a "false" reading if you will. To the OP-I waited over 4 months between my test and interview. I waited a quite a while (not over 2 months) to finish my bgi
    Well my background investigation was finished before my Polygraph. After my polygraph raised questions, my BI went back and interviewed some more people, went to my local PD to check my records. He called me in two days later and told me that there's absolutely nothing he could find, he called 2 of my ex-girlfriends to ask about me. He asked me why I thought the question came up that way, and I literally told him I had no idea. It's just so frustrating.

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy182 View Post
    I Appriciate the polygraph for what it is-but know that the first time it gave a "false" reading if you will. i
    No , it did not give a false reading. It gave the examiner an indication of a deception.

Well my background investigation was finished before my Polygraph. After my polygraph raised questions, my BI went back and interviewed some more people, went to my local PD to check my records. He called me in two days later and told me that there's absolutely nothing he could find, he called 2 of my ex-girlfriends to ask about me. He asked me why I thought the question came up that way, and I literally told him I had no idea. It's just so frustrating.
    See....................he did more investigating & cleared the problem.

It is also frustrating for LE administrators when they do a thorough investigation and the rookie screws up and gives the department a black eye. Thus they investigate the next group even more/harder

Delabole Height's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    No , it did not give a false reading. It gave the examiner an indication of a deception.

See....................he did more investigating & cleared the problem.

It is also frustrating for LE administrators when they do a thorough investigation and the rookie screws up and gives the department a black eye. Thus they investigate the next group even more/harder
    Exactly. I understand the need for all the tools in the hiring process. The department, the city, and the human resources department need to cover their tails so to speak. If they didn't test for that stuff, and God forbid a new officer does something horrible that he or she had a history of doing, the city looks like a bunch of idiots. I just need to be patient I suppose.

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

Delabole Height's Finest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    I was going through several backgrounds at once about 10 years ago. I made it to the last step with several and didn't hear back from the one. But...they hired the guy above and below me on the list, so I don't think they're gonna call.
    Funny you just posted in this thread. Sure enough, I got a call this morning at 8am and I have to go in tomorrow at 10am. Such a relief. The detective said he was sorry he's been really busy that's why it took so long. As I stated, there's nobody above or below me, I was up on the list when it expired due to the 2 year civil service rule in PA.
    Jonnyboy182 and Ignite like this.

-Maj. Gen. James Mattis

Forum Member

In my experience of applying to various LE Agencies at different levels, i have found that most of the time, no news is good news. On the other hand, the longest i have waited to hear anything in any process was 1.5 years, just to let me know that I was going to start the processing.....

Forum Member
    I waited almost a month for my rejection letter. I waited about 2 weeks for my job offer. It's a real crapshoot. The waiting is the worst part, in my opinion. Sounds like you're on track though.

Dazed & Confused
    One job took 9+months from application to hire... Another took 3 months to the day....

It reminds me of on of my old Sergeant's stock answer to the brass...
    "Sir, it all depends on the environment and terrain"
    Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.