Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NC DoC

Forum Member

NC DoC

Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by clc014; 12-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Forum Member

I asked my father who is a CO at Harnett CF and his answers without knowing more of your circumstances is that "there aren't many jobs open for CO's in NC and most of the openings will go to those with connections or experience elsewhere in the state system"

When he joined 5-6 years ago there was a shortage locally and it seemed like a breeze for him to get in, but now he says he probably wouldn't be able to get in. Positions are limited and the last group my father had any contacts in included a healthy guy in his 30's with no priors and a masters degree who didn't get it.

I doubt it's a personal thing and I wouldn't stop applying to other facilities, it just doesn't seem to be a great time for prospective applicants.

Forum Member

If I'm reading your post right you have a B.A.? Why not look at Probation (now called Community Corrections)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    If I'm reading your post right you have a B.A.? Why not look at Probation (now called Community Corrections)?
    I did an internship with my local probation office this past semester, and pretty much the only way in is either experience such as a social worker and with a 4/yr degree, or through a trainee position which are hardly ever open.

Word is after the the murder of Eve Carson, DCC is reluctant to hire fresh college grads.

Forum Member

Last edited by Skisalomon; 06-25-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Forum Member

I was a case manager in Tabor after college. It was good experience and most institutions want someone with a 2 or 4 year degree for that position. I left to get in to police work and the experience helped a ton in my opinion.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    OP- If you really want into corrections; why not look at the Sheriff's Offices as a county C.O. or Deputy? There's several counties that are always in need, and if you're willing to relocate around the state, all the better.... It could eventually lead to BLET and a patrol or court services job, as well.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Forum Member

For anyone else currently curious about this question, I'll add my .02.

I am currently finishing up my training at Salemburg to become a probation officer. Saying that they don't want fresh college graduates is pretty much right. I applied back in 08 when I finished my undergrad and I couldn't get hired in any county across the state. I went back to school and finished my M.S. Took a job at a detention facility because it was all that was out there. Worked about a year and reapplied and got offered a job. Here in my class, out of 24 officers, most have a background in corrections. We have about four guys that have come over directly from DoC prisons. Another officer was a PO down in GA and one officer was a PO from VA. We have two former case managers at prisons. Couple former law enforcement. Several former retired military. We have one that was a magistrate and one that was a judicial services coordinator. One that worked at a drug treatment clinic. Most officers are in their late 20's to late 30's. No one is fresh from college. Everyone has some type of criminal justice/counseling experience. That seems to be what they really want.

Now, maybe because of the economic downturn they have a pool of qualified candidates, so maybe they don't need to go for those straight out of college. Maybe they really do prefer someone with some other previous experience. Without having some type of experience dealing with an offender population, I could see how this job and training could be stressful and difficult. If you have dealt with criminals in a face-to-face manner, this job will be okay to transition into. But it's still a weird job, because you aren't really law enforcement (and some LEO's openly dislike us, depending on department and county) and you aren't really social workers.

Just my .02 from being a new PO. Larger counties hire more often because the turnover is high (think Guilford, Mecklenburg, Durham, Wake). It's good if you can get a foot in the door, but most officers prefer the in-between counties (Forsyth, Cabarrus, Alamance, etc) when they want to stay put.

But the hiring seems to have picked up. They just graduated a class of about 22 before my class. My class should graduate about 24. And I know they have a class lined up to begin again right after we graduate. So that's a fairly large amount of hirings.

Best of luck to anyone interested.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by holycrikey View Post
    Here in my class, out of 24 officers, most have a background in corrections. We have about four guys that have come over directly from DoC prisons. Another officer was a PO down in GA and one officer was a PO from VA. We have two former case managers at prisons. Couple former law enforcement. Several former retired military. We have one that was a magistrate and one that was a judicial services coordinator. One that worked at a drug treatment clinic. Most officers are in their late 20's to late 30's. No one is fresh from college. Everyone has some type of criminal justice/counseling experience. That seems to be what they really want.

Best of luck to anyone interested.
    I have read that Probation/Parole doesn't view CO's as relevant experience in regards to the hiring experience. Those that came from DoC, did they have more experience other than just the prison system?

I currently am waiting to hear back from three DPS interviews, two for CO positions and one for a Jud Srv Crd. I would ultimately, if I am unable to go federal, like to end up in probation/parole.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clc014 View Post
    I have read that Probation/Parole doesn't view CO's as relevant experience in regards to the hiring experience. Those that came from DoC, did they have more experience other than just the prison system?

I currently am waiting to hear back from three DPS interviews, two for CO positions and one for a Jud Srv Crd. I would ultimately, if I am unable to go federal, like to end up in probation/parole.
    Well, two of the former CO's in my class have no degree and are becoming Surveillance Officers. The other former CO has a college degree and is becoming a PO. I think all three of them had put in multiple years as CO's in NC, with the only other experience being random jobs or military service. It seems to me that if you have that degree, can get an interview, and illustrate that you aren't gung-ho law enforcement but aren't a mamby-pamby social worker, they'll generally like you for a probation position.

Just my .02 again. Let me know if you have any other questions about probation.

Being a JSC is a good job to step into probation. But it can be incredibly, incredibly boring depending on what you like to do and what county it is. The primary function of the JSC is to intake new offenders directly from court. The intake process can be extremely boring. You simply gather demographic info and input it into the computer. You notify them of some general terms of probation and take their photo. For some, this is fun. For others, they hate it.

My experience is limited, but probation appears to be a good job. If you desire a job that is heavy into law enforcement, you will be disappointed. I pursued this job exactly because I wanted the balance between some law enforcement duties and some counseling/social work duties. It can also be a highly independent job, which I like. Many days you are never bothered by your chief or anyone else. You can pretty much create your own schedule.

Forum Member

I'd advise staying far away from NC DOC.

Forum Member

Last edited by Skisalomon; 06-25-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skisalomon View Post
    I disagree that they don't want fresh college grads, it is more a product of the current applicant pool. It also very likely differs from district to district. Just in the last few years, in the districts that I have contact with, a significant number of new or recent grads with no previous P/P experience have been brought on board. My advice for any recent grads is to apply often and apply to any place that you are willing to work.

While no trainee positions have been posted, I have still been applying to the PPOII positions in hopes that they will take notice of my internship, and put me in a trainee applicant pool. I've heard on numerous occasions of recent grads being hired, but I never see any openings for positions that recent graduates would meet the qualifications for..

Forum Member

Last edited by Skisalomon; 06-25-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Forum Member

For anyone interested in probation, thought you'd like to know. NC Legislature denied about 200 new PPOII positions that DCC wanted to push through (that were supposed to come via the Justice Reinvestment Act). Hiring isn't stopping, but the number of positions won't grow for awhile, unfortunately. This is info I got from a field training spec in my division.

Forum Member

The state has been posting several Probation/Parole Associate positions over the last few weeks, I was wondering if anyone on officer.com has gotten interviews yet, or if anyones heard that apps are being taken and held for future vacancies.
    dgrooms360 likes this.

Forum Member

Last edited by Skisalomon; 06-25-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Forum Member

I interviewed with Buncombe in September but haven't heard from them either way. I had heard that offers go out closer to training class start dates, I'm not sure if this is the case though. Best of luck to anyone else interested in this agency, and as always appreciate the insight!

Forum Member

Figured I'd log back on here and give some more info to anyone who might be interested in DCC/DPS.

State is hiring a whole new round of Probation/Parole Associate positions. The director (David Guice) came around to our county and spoke with my office one on one about it just about two months ago. As he stated there (and as is clear now), these positions are primarily for individuals with a four year degree but no real experience directly related to probation. They are aiming back at recent college grads. These positions offer lower pay, but you'll be upgraded to PPOII within a year or so and upon completion of basic training. The surveillance officer position is now dead and gone. Coming soon are supposedly "Compliance officer" positions that are very similar.

There doesn't ever seem to be a huge interest in probation, but now is the time to hop on board for anyone with a 4 year degree who is interested. Statewide postings are up.

Forum Member

Thank you for that info, that's certainly good news for me, as a recent graduate. I've put in for most of the counties with postings, and it seems like more are added each Monday on the OSP, so hopefully something will come soon.

Forum Member

Can you give me a little insight on your interview with Buncombe because I too applied to them for PPO Associate. listed as "qualified" for four counties and "most qualified" for one county. Yes, I am fresh out of college. any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

As someone mentioned previously, the questions were straightforward and like most in any interview I've done at least. My interview was with the District supervisor, a Chief PPO, and a PPO II. The Supervisor indicated that she was very interested in giving fresh NC college grads a chance, which was good to hear. I was called today to interview in Pitt County which had me as most qualified, and I know some other interview calls have gone out for some of the costal counties, so it seems things are starting to move.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncmountain View Post
    As someone mentioned previously, the questions were straightforward and like most in any interview I've done at least. My interview was with the District supervisor, a Chief PPO, and a PPO II. The Supervisor indicated that she was very interested in giving fresh NC college grads a chance, which was good to hear. I was called today to interview in Pitt County which had me as most qualified, and I know some other interview calls have gone out for some of the costal counties, so it seems things are starting to move.

thanks a lot ncmountain, hopefully someone calls me after the holiday. I am very interested in parole/probation. I moved from Florida just to pursue it.

Forum Member

Hey all,

Just figured I'd update you guys again (I'm a current PPOII). I received an email today stating that the Probation/Parole Associate position has been approved for continuous posting on the state website. These should appear on the website beginning 01/07/13. Starting pay is $33190. This position is basically only for those that have unrelated or no experience and the basic education. Everyone else that has experience should be applying to the regular PPOII position.

So if you are a fresh graduate, these positions are pretty much specifically for you. The pay isn't anything amazing, but it's an easy way to get into the state system and eventually be upgraded to PPOII.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

Forum Member

I had my interview today, and basically they told me I had to wait a couple weeks to hear back to see if I got the position. If I receive a call then I got it but a letter means that I did not. Did you ever hear back from anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last