Forum Member

Tactical Training?

I've been hearing this term "tactical training" after searching online for workout plans. I'm 17 years old and I'm planning on enlisting in the Marines and a LE career afterwards. I've been lifting weights for about a year and I've been seeing some improvement. However, when I go to weekly Saturday PTs that my recruiting station has, it all seems to be bodyweight strength and endurance training. Can someone please enlighten me on what exactly tactical training is? It looks like a combination a strength (low rep and compound exercises) and endurance training (high rep calisthenics). Has anyone actually followed a tactical training program. If so, what kind of results have you seen and where can I find these routines. It really seems interesting and sounds like something that would suit my goals more than either just heavy weight training or bodyweight exercises. If anyone could help, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Can anyone help??

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller556 View Post
    Can anyone help??
    Hard to help as the Q does not really make sense. Tactical training is not physical training/PT per se, but can be very physically demanding of course. Maybe you are confusing another very common term everyone is using which is "functional" as in "Functional training"?

Bottom, line, you're 17, join up, do what the nice man says, get through all that, and drive on to your goals of LE.

Good luck.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Forum Member

Maybe that's what it is. Thank you.

Forum Member

I just looked it up and that's exactly what I was talking about. It sounds interesting. Do you know any places where I can find some routines to try it out? It sounds like training that's more beneficial than strictly weight training.

Forum Member

For what you are talking about sounds like you might be interested in a "Crossfit" workout. www.crossfit.com Also google a local crossfit gym.

Forum Member
    You are completely discombobulated.

The United States Marine Corps is well-versed in getting you in shape. If you disagree, feel free to tell your Drill Instructor on the very first day of boot camp. Double dog dare him to PT you until he gets tired.

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller556 View Post
    I just looked it up and that's exactly what I was talking about. It sounds interesting. Do you know any places where I can find some routines to try it out? It sounds like training that's more beneficial than strictly weight training.
    Only about 8 million on the net. The Marine Corp. will be more than happy to get you into shape, and you can do it on their dime and time no less. Work on your basic running, basic body weight stuff (push ups, chin ups, etc) and the Corp will do the rest once you get there.

Excellent resources are Navyseals.com, http://rosstraining.com, http://www.stewsmith.com, etc.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com