Thread: NYC Honeymoon

Forum Member

NYC Honeymoon

hey there, my fiance and I are planning on taking a east coast honeymoon this fall (october). We are planning on spending 3 or four days in NYC then a couple in Washington DC. We want to do all the touristy stuff, Times Square, Broadway show, double decker bus tour, WTC, NYPD Museum, etc. We want to be close to the action, and looking for advice on where to stay. Do we need to stay close to Times Square, or is Midtown east or west okay? Any other areas one might recommend?
    We obviously aren't rich and are looking to spend under $300 a night for a room (prefered $250). Any help at all about the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DENIED!
    The chances are of you finding a room in times sq for under $600 a night.

Forum Member
    I hear people stay in places like Astoria or Long Island City in Queens (close to subways) and take the train into Manhattan. You can try looking into doing something like that it may save some money. Have fun!
    638.5 hours and counting.

"Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it"
    -Mark Twain

"There's two things you can't take back on this job, pal: bullets out of your gun and words out of your mouth"
    -Gangster Squad

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet126 View Post
    hey there, my fiance and I are planning on taking a east coast honeymoon this fall (october). We are planning on spending 3 or four days in NYC then a couple in Washington DC. We want to do all the touristy stuff, Times Square, Broadway show, double decker bus tour, WTC, NYPD Museum, etc. We want to be close to the action, and looking for advice on where to stay. Do we need to stay close to Times Square, or is Midtown east or west okay? Any other areas one might recommend?
    We obviously aren't rich and are looking to spend under $300 a night for a room (prefered $250). Any help at all about the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    well if you can't really find a hotel that you can afford try hampton inn/times square south i stayed there its a couple blocks from times square rooms were fine build ing was nice also...
    Exam No: Doesn't matter List No: You don't need to know

Forum Member

The Honeymooners, only a bus or subway ride away

If you are willing to go downtown towards hotels in the Financial District/South Street Seaport area, you'll find a lot of choices at (slightly) lower rates. All you will need to do is buy a couple of Metro Cards and move around by subway. Check out www.mta.info

Blind Follower

I wish I could help more, but I have no idea how much hotels cost vs. location in the city.

What I can tell you is that as long as you're in manhattan, the attractions aren't far or costly to get to. If you're unfamiliar with them the subway can be a bit confusing, but very doable (especially with smart phone nowadays). As far as cabs go, there are few destinations in the areas you want to be that will cost you more then $15 to get to. They're easier, but a little bit more money (subway costs $5.00 for the two of you)

Any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Edit: I wouldn't advise to stay in manhattan north of maybe 115th street (central park). Not that some areas aren't that nice, but you'll be getting a little far from the attractions you mentioned. Oh, and some areas aren't that nice.
    Last edited by options open; 06-20-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Forum Member

If I were you I would check out airbnb.com. You could probably find a nice place on there in Manhattan and have it all to yourselves for way cheaper than you would get a hotel room. It will probably be nicer than a budget hotel room as well. I used that website once when me and my girlfriend visited Paris and it worked out great and was way cheaper than any hotel. Just make sure you get a place that has already been reviewed a bunch of times so you can be sure that it's as advertised.
    NYPD
    Test 2326: Score 100+
    List #: <300

Forum Member

you should look at hotels across the river in hoboken or jersey city