Forum Member

LAPD - Out of State Lateral

I am currently a Police Officer in the Baltimore Police Department, and am looking to go out west and join the LAPD. Eventually, I hope to obtain the California POST waiver. I've discovered that the CA POST offers a three week class, where one could obtain the certificate. Or, one could apply as a walk-in, and get it over with that day. I do not have the available time to to take the 3 week class, and am hoping that I can pass the exam as a walk-in.

Could anybody please advise me if they've done this before? Do any worthwhile study guides or materials exist for the CA Post Waiver exam? Also, those whom are currently in the LAPD, would anybody be willing to PM me and share their opinions?

Thanks!

-The Wanderer
    Last edited by TheWanderer; 10-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
    I am currently a Police Officer in the Baltimore Police Department, and am looking to go out west and join the LAPD. Eventually, I hope to obtain the California POST waiver. I've discovered that the CA POST offers a three week class, where one could obtain the certificate. Or, one could apply as a walk-in, and get it over with that day. I do not have the available time to to take the 3 week class, and am hoping that I can pass the exam as a walk-in.

Could anybody please advise if they've done this before? If so, are there any worthwhile study guides or materials available for the CA Post Waiver exam? Also, those whom are currently in the LAPD, would anybody be willing to PM and share me their opinions?

Thanks!

-The Wanderer
    Wanderer, he's not on here a lot anymore.....and he's LASD, not LAPD....but if you don't get what ya need on the thread, you might want to send PM to LA DEP. LA always has good answers to things. Good luck. (Oh, and one last thing....you know Calif has a crappy economy, right? Just in case you hadn't thought about it. )

Forum Member
    Now....he may not answer you because he's grumpy as sheeeet....but it's worth a try.

(I kid, LA, I KID!!!)

Forum Member

I believe that LAPD will require you to attend and complete their academy. That will be the case whether or not you successfully challenge the Cal POST Waiver Exam. To provide you with further information I would suggest you go to www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned and maintained website which is geared toward assisting prospective applicants for LAPD. I believe you'll find the site friendly, interesting, and informative. Good luck.

Forum Member

If you obtain the POST waiver, you won't have to attend the entire six-month academy, there is an abbreviated academy for laterals.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Forum Member

In the process now...

I'm in the CAL POST BCW process now. It's a pain, thats for sure. Basically, you have to get your academy training records (like the schedule), your academy graduation certificate (with the same dates as the schedule), your in-service training records (signed/dated by a training officer), and any other certificates/diplomas you want considered. You then tags all these documents with their corresponding "LD" numbers, which are listed in the application. Add up the hours in each of the "LD" categories in the application. If you find you don't have enough hours in any category, then you'll have to take classes. If there's a category, like "Chemical Weapons", and you have a class where you did that, but it's called say, "Riot Control" or "Defensive Tactics", then you'll have to submit lesson plans or letters from trainers to clarify that it fits the LD category. Also, any letters you submit needs to be signed on department letter head. You also need to submit a letter (on the CAL POST website) which basically says you've been a cop for 1 yr, and have that signed by a personnel rep. Send all that, and a $75 check and wait 3-4 wks for them to reject some of your classes, or ask for clarification on something. You can respond with new documents, and they'll hopefully approve you. If they do, you'll have to go to 1 of 5 or 6 sites in california to take your test. You can buy "LEARNING MODULES" on the CAL POST "Learning Portal" website to prepare.

Whew! Like i said, it's a pain. The biggest hurdles are 21 hours of First aid, and like 12 hours of Traffic Accident Investigation. Also 5 hours of Racial profiling.