Forum Member

Hello From Knoxville, TN

Hey guys, my name is Ryan, and I'm 23 years old. I graduated from The University of Tennessee Knoxville with a Wildlife and Fisheries degree in May. I wanted to do law enforcement out of high school, but decided I wanted to do wildlife enforcement instead.

I'm currently a part time archery tech at Gander Mountain, and I do stucco repair. I like to hunt (mainly ducks) and fish (lots of bowfishing).

Junior year of college, I had a change of heart in what I wanted to do. I felt a calling to law enforcement, but decided to finish out my wildlife degree. I didn't want to stay 4 more years for a Criminal Justice degree. A couple months ago I applied with several agencies. I got a call from Blount County Sheriff's Office and got an interview. I passed it, passed my physical, as well as my polygraph. I did my psych test Friday and I'm sure I passed it. I should be offered a job next month and go through the academy at the end of July.

I'm looking forward to reading the forums and getting insight from you guys.
    Last edited by Ryan865; 06-18-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Forum Member
    Congrats on graduating! Go Vols!
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Forum Member
    I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to reply haha. Thanks for the congrats. It took me long enough, but I made it. I assume you're from around these parts? Where about?

Forum Member
    Congratulations and welcome.

Forum Member
    Well, as of today, I'm hired.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. -Psalm 18:2

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

Forum Member
    Hired is good. Pay attention in the academy, and then LISTEN to your FTO. You sound like you are headed in the right direction.

Forum Member
    Thanks Woods. I'll be sure to do all you mentioned.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. -Psalm 18:2

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong.

Forum Member

Good luck from NY State! I have been a LEO for 5 yrs now...welcome to the brotherhood.

Forum Member
    Thanks frontier. I'm not in quite yet, just hired. I get sworn in this Monday and then the academy and FTO.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if there are any police depts hiring in TN at the moment? I don't have my police acadmey so I know that is going to limit where I can apply. I have been out of college for almost 3 years and still haven't landed a police job yet. I am starting to get a little discouraged.

Forum Member

Hello? Is anyone even on this thing? Lol

Forum Member
    Try Blount and Knox County. I know at Blount, we have an academy starting in January. They've probably already started the hiring process though. In Knox, you'll have to start in the jail. Just start applying places. The department that hires you will send you through the academy.