Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By owg

Thread: Out of country travel?

owg
    Forum Member

Out of country travel?

On most background packets, there is a question about last travel dates out of country. Why is this? The reason I ask, my family and I are headed to Canada next week for a few days. I am currently in the background phase at one department and the interview phase for another. Do agencies look at out of country travel as a bad thing? Do I need to inform my BI of my travel plans? Thanks for any advice.

It's Complicated
    Depends on where you are traveling.

Canada.....not a big deal----just tell them

If you were making frequent CIVILIAN trips to Iran, Afghanistan or Pakistan....... you might run into some trouble
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

owg
    Forum Member

Thanks. My wife has some family flying in to Niagra Falls and we're driving up to meet them. No biggie, but not worth jeopardizing my background over. I'll send my BI an email to give him a heads up.

I have a 19 year old son in the military right now, we're not allowed to use the words Iran, Afghanistan, or Pakistan in my house. Momma's rules.

Forum Member

Iowa nailed it. Canada, Europe, most of Asia, no problem. Israel, no prob. Other venues in the Middle East, Iran, Syria, they're going to probably raise an eyebrow or two.

owg
    Forum Member

Maybe I'll tell my wife Canada is on that list as well and I can avoid a 10 hour car ride to spend time with her cousins!
    Ignite likes this.

Forum Member

Never actually been asked that on a BI packet, lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo990 View Post
    Never actually been asked that on a BI packet, lol
    Neither have I.

Banned

I know sometimes it looks good on some forms to type everything instead of writing it. What about on those background packets? do people type them up? or only hand written?

Forum Member

No you don't need to type it up, I always hand wrote them.

I was never asked that question either.

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer JJ View Post
    I know sometimes it looks good on some forms to type everything instead of writing it. What about on those background packets? do people type them up? or only hand written?
    Follow the instructions provided. Some departments MANDATE handwritten and in a specific color of ink; follow these instructions. Why would they make you write out page after page you ask? Because departments are not always arbitrary, they want to see that you 1. Follow instructions to the letter and 2. Because despite computers, as a cop you will write…A LOT.

As for foreign travel, most of my fellow posters have nailed it down. For civilian agencies out of the federal system they ask for a variety of reasons. For the Fed, it is because of security clearance issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Che
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by owg View Post
    On most background packets, there is a question about last travel dates out of country. Why is this?
    Because we want to know why you went to Thailand or Amsterdam. Really, we do, you know how many pedophiles and serial rapists apply to be in the law enforcement field? Enough to check their travel, saavy?