Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FNA209

Thread: Monsanto loses $2b judgement in Brazil

Forum Member

Monsanto loses $2b judgement in Brazil

http://www.qwmagazine.com/2012/06/15...st-monsanto-2/

Brazilian farmers win $2 billion judgment against Monsanto

Five million Brazilian farmers have taken on US based biotech company Monsanto through a lawsuit demanding return of about 6.2 billion euros taken as royalties from them. The farmers are claiming that the powerful company has unfairly extracted these royalties from poor farmers because they were using seeds produced from crops grown from Monsanto’s genetically engineered seeds, reports Merco Press.

In April this year, a judge in the southern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul, ruled in favor of the farmers and ordered Monsanto to return royalties paid since 2004 or a minimum of $2 billion. The ruling said that the business practices of seed multinational Monsanto violate the rules of the Brazilian Cultivars Act (No. 9.456/97).

Monsanto has appealed against the order and a federal court ruling on the case is now expected by 2014.

About 85% of Brazil’s massive soyabean crop output is produced from genetically engineered seeds. Brazil exports about $24.1 billion worth of soyabeans annually, more than a quarter of its total agri-exports.

Farmers say that they are using seeds produced many generations after the initial crops from the genetically modified Monsanto seeds were grown. Farmers claim that Monsanto unfairly collects exorbitant profits every year worldwide on royalties from “renewal” seed harvests. Renewal crops are those that have been planted using seed from the previous year’s harvest. Monsanto disagrees, demanding royalties from any crop generation produced from its genetically-engineered seed. Because the engineered seed is patented, Monsanto not only charges an initial royalty on the sale of the crop produced, but a continuing two per cent royalty on every subsequent crop, even if the farmer is using a later generation of seed.

The first transgenic soy seeds were illegally smuggled into Brazil from neighboring Argentina in 1998 and their use was banned and subject to prosecution until the last decade, according to the state-owned Brazilian Enterprise for Agricultural Research (EMBRAPA).The ban has since been lifted and now 85 percent of the country’s soybean crop (25 million hectares or 62 million acres) is genetically modified, Alexandre Cattelan, an EMBRAPA researcher told Merco Press. Brazil is the world’s second largest producer and exporter of soyabean. China is one of its biggest buyers.

“Monsanto gets paid when it sell the seeds. The law gives producers the right to multiply the seeds they buy and nowhere in the world is there a requirement to pay (again). Producers are in effect paying a private tax on production,” Jane Berwanger, lawyer for the farmers told the media agencies.

Forum Member

Good. Monsanto is one of many crooked companies.

Forum Member

The article is one sided and flat out lies in one part:

“Monsanto gets paid when it sell the seeds. The law gives producers the right to multiply the seeds they buy and nowhere in the world is there a requirement to pay (again). Producers are in effect paying a private tax on production,” Jane Berwanger, lawyer for the farmers told the media agencies.

In many places in the world there is a requirement to pay again, including the USA. Its called a contract. When you buy the seed from Monsanto, it is with a contractual agreement that you are not only buying the seed, but also a one time license to use them and that the use of the see does not give you license to make seed crop. Using their patented genetic modification to produce more seeds for your profit, when you specifically licensed not to, how is that any different than buying a book, song, dvd or piece of software and selling copies without permission from the publisher?

Don't want to be bound by a Monsanto contract? Fine, use a different seed instead which doesn't have the same contractual obligations. If producers want the benefit of using Monsanto's higher yield seed, they also have to live with the obligations they signed for.

We Patrol Night and Day
    Seems to me I read numerous articles that said those seeds don't replicate well and each year you use seeds from the previous crop, your yield goes down. That's why many people suggest you buy "heirloom seeds" which don't suffer from the same problem.

Also seems to me I recall a rather large stink when Monsanto sued an American farmer for using their seeds. According to everything I saw concerning that, the genetic code found in that farmer's fields was likely there due to cross-pollination from a farm nearby using their seeds. As if the farmer had any control over the birds, bees, wind, etc blowing that pollen onto his property.

Monsanto is not your friend. Don't care who you are. Consumer or farmer, that's not the corporation I would be involved with.
    DOAcop38 likes this.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FNA209 View Post

Also seems to me I recall a rather large stink when Monsanto sued an American farmer for using their seeds. According to everything I saw concerning that, the genetic code found in that farmer's fields was likely there due to cross-pollination from a farm nearby using their seeds. As if the farmer had any control over the birds, bees, wind, etc blowing that pollen onto his property.
    I agree but don't remember the outcome of it...If there has been one yet. Just doesn't make since to me. If farmer Joe owned the land before his neighbor farmer Brown bought into Monsanto why would farmer Joe be liable for natural progress?

Didn't Monsanto try and patent the apple seed or some other type of seed? Where does that silliness stop? Can I go file a patent for the air we breath?

Midnight sun worshipper
    Monsanto is a pretty evil company. Look up the history of them sometime. It's truly frightening how massive, calculating, and controlling they have become worldwide.

If you want to know why their soybeans are so popular, look up Roundup (which they also own, produce, and sell)...their genetically altered seeds are resistant to it, so they make a ton of money in agri-chemicals as well.

Anyway. I truly hate that company. They were involved in PCB's, DDT, Agent Orange....if you can think of chemicals gone awry in the last 100 years, they were probably in the middle of it making money.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by fishAK View Post
    Monsanto is a pretty evil company. Look up the history of them sometime. It's truly frightening how massive, calculating, and controlling they have become worldwide.

If you want to know why their soybeans are so popular, look up Roundup (which they also own, produce, and sell)...their genetically altered seeds are resistant to it, so they make a ton of money in agri-chemicals as well.

Anyway. I truly hate that company. They were involved in PCB's, DDT, Agent Orange....if you can think of chemicals gone awry in the last 100 years, they were probably in the middle of it making money.
    Yup- right after the GREEDY and equally evil JP Morgan-Chase( check the web for recent tax payer supported DIRT that Chase is doing to screw over the avg US consumer); they are too damn BIG, have gov't and military contracts, and are active in the attack on, and CONTROL of global resources( ask where the small and medium sized US farmer is going? They are literally slaves to companies like Monsanto)- when these private interests have this type of control, gov'ts of "the people" are generally powerless against them....
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

We Patrol Night and Day
    I have a friend (retired) who had a pretty good business as a bee-keeper. He would go to farms in the state and set up hives on their property. Good for him and them. He had a handful of them on several farms that were using GM seeds and those hives got sick. It didn't happen right away, but the bees were dying.

He can't say with certainty the GM seeds were the cause, but he killed those hives and doesn't put any near farms using that product anymore. He hasn't had any problems lately. Since honey bears the same elements of what the bees gather, I have to wonder that if the GM seeds are a problem and bees get sick, what does the honey do to us?

Add a new conspiracy theory to the mix.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams