Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By SgtCHP
  • 1 Post By ateamer
  • 1 Post By Blackavar
  • 1 Post By beachcop05

Thread: Off-Duty Officer's SUV Stolen with LAPD Guns Inside

Forum Member

Off-Duty Officer's SUV Stolen with LAPD Guns Inside

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KTLA) -- Los Angeles Police are searching for an off-duty officer's white SUV, saying it was stolen Friday night with guns inside.

The female officer was visiting family in Simi Valley when the 2006 white Chevy Tahoe was stolen about 7:25 p.m. from the family home in the 1700 block of Warfield Court, according to LAPD officials. The SUV's license plate number is 5PIA388 and police are looking for help in finding it.

No one was hurt in the theft, but the LAPD and Simi Valley police are trying to track the vehicle down because of the weapons -- a .9mm Glock and a .45 caliber pistol -- along with other police equipment inside.

Anyone with information on the SUV's whereabouts are asked to contact Simi Valley police.

Tired of cops leaving unsecured guns in their cars. Why bring your gun if you're not going to carry it? Now some crook out there will have two more guns to do their drive bys and 211's.

That cop should be fired. No excuse for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CA Cop View Post
    Tired of cops leaving unsecured guns in their cars. Why bring your gun if you're not going to carry it? Now some crook out there will have two more guns to do their drive bys and 211's.

I wonder, would you feel the same way if her residence was burglarized and her weapons stolen?

Kind of harsh punishment for an unforeseeable crime. There probably has not been a car stolen in that neighborhood, ever. Her punishment is dictated by her agency and will probably amount to a minimal action.

Things happen in life and not all incidents deserve termination! By the way, I have left weapons in my car when visiting relatives and friends. It is not criminal, it is respectful of those with whom I am visiting. Guns often intimidate others.
    SHU, beachcop05 and Michigan like this.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

Maybe because she was going somewhere other than a nice Simi Valley neighborhood when she left. Or maybe she was on her way home from work and there were young kids in the house.

Either way, it's not a good thing she had her weapons stolen and she will most likely face some type of punishment (other than the embarrassment and condemnation from folks like you) but being fired is a bit extreme. It's not like she was in the middle of Watts when she did this. Simi Valley is a very quiet bedroom community with very little crime and where many local law enforcement and firefighters live.

South central escapee... DOAcop38's Avatar
    What???!! in "safe and wonderful Simi Valley?"" Say it ain't so, joe( or in this case "joanne")

and LA Copper- sorry, whether its the hood or the burbs, NO excuse. don't think she should get canned, but she SHOULD TAKE DAYS!!!

wondering with the new crop of "polygraphed"( but we're still good at lying) generation, IF she didn't actaully lose her guns and hoopty at her "sanchos" pad in the hood
    ( then later thought it smarter to report it at mommy and dads house), or some VAGO thugs saw her rolling down the road with all those window and bumper stickers that SCREAM "I'm a cop", followed her, and snatched the ride.............
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 06-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Salty Dog
    Is there a department policy against leaving guns in a personal vehicle? There certainly isn't a law against it. If there isn't a specific policy, no discipline should be imposed. Even if there is a policy, termination is ridiculous. Termination should be reserved for officers who commit crimes, lie or are grossly insubordinate.
    92_chp likes this.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    What???!! in "safe and wonderful Simi Valley?"" Say it ain't so, joe( or in this case "joanne")

and LA Copper- sorry, whether its the hood or the burbs, NO excuse. don't think she should get canned, but she SHOULD TAKE DAYS!!!
    I didn't say she shouldn't take days, I said she shouldn't be fired.

Totally disagree with you.
    "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...
    Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land... The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa."
    Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

If those unsecured and improperly stored guns were later used in a murder of someone you love, you would think otherwise.

Why would you bring two handguns with you and leave it inside your vehicle? If you aren't going to carry it on your person, leave it at home!

Leaving handguns in a SUV (smash and grab) is just plain stupid as it does not have a hard lockable trunk like a sedan or coupe. If I bring my gun out, I am carrying it fully concealed on my person.

Put the lynch rope away.

Before there is ANY punishment perhaps it should be looked at why she left her guns in the car. I know I have done so when I knew it was more prudent to leave them in the car. No often mind you. I don't think she should automatically receive punishment without all the facts.
    bigcitypolice06 likes this.
    "Some see private enterprise as a predatory target to be shot, others as a cow to be milked, but few are those who see it as a sturdy horse pulling the wagon."

South central escapee... DOAcop38's Avatar
    there have been a few hourly broadcasts over city wide frequency regarding that- apparently that officer works West Valley, as the LAPD broadcasts have been to notify West Valley and Simi valley PD if the weapons are recovered by officers.... sucks
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Forum Member
    If she did not violate policy or the law, then nothing should or could happen to her.
    Blackavar likes this.

Forum Member
    If those unsecured and improperly stored guns were later used in a murder of someone you love, you would think otherwise.

Why would you bring two handguns with you and leave it inside your vehicle? If you aren't going to carry it on your person, leave it at home!

Leaving handguns in a SUV (smash and grab) is just plain stupid as it does not have a hard lockable trunk like a sedan or coupe. If I bring my gun out, I am carrying it fully concealed on my person.
    The article says the vehicle was stolen with guns inside. I don't see where it says they were unsecured. Lockable trunk? That's your idea of secure?

I have a lockable vault in my car for my guns. If my car gets stolen should I be fired? If my house gets burged and they find my guns should I get fired?

DCH
    Blatant violation- not against California Law, but the all-encompassing Murphy's Law...

what really sucks is she ignored herself right before she left her SUV cause she surely thought about leaving her duty/off duty weapons in her vehicle (we've all felt that hesitation)- and it ended up biting her rumpkus.