Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michigan

Thread: Knife Laws in Michigan

Forum Member

Question Knife Laws in Michigan

I am a minor and am wondering what the laws are in Michigan concerning carrying pocket knifes and knives with blades longer than 3 inches. Can it be "concealed" in a pocket? Are there age restrictions? Also, does it matter if there is open assist feature on the knife?

Forum Member

Montgomery Alabama
    Two thoughts which might help you. Google Michigan knife laws. You should be able to get the information you're wanting. Two: Ask your question(s) on the Michigan section of the forum. We have at least two colleagues from Michigan who might be able to assist you.

Forum Member

I am a Ofc. in Michigan and might be able to help you with your question.

First off, Why do you want to carry a knife?

Now to answer your questions:

1) Michigan Law states (750.226) you cannot have a blade longer than 3" and cannot unlawfully carry it, therefore you can only carry a knife for lawful use. Example: Work.
    *You can not carry it for protection.

2) Again you can conceal a knife as long as it is under 3", is a single-edge blade, carrying it lawfully, and open manually.

3) Define Open Assist? In MI you can not have a knife that uses a flick of a button to open or pressure on the handle to open. (ex. Switchblade)
    If it is spring assisted where there is a little nub you have to use on the side of the knife or back of it to help open than you should be fine.

4) As far as I know there are no age restrictions on carrying a pocket knife. But I don't think anyone under 13 should carry one. (However, depends in the area you live as well) Just my opinion.

Hope that helps.
    cosain agus fóin

Forum Member

Thanks policetrack,

The main reason I will be buying a knife is for an explorer program where it will be visible on my belt. I was just wondering if it was first of all legal to have it on me while visible and secondly if I could carry it in my pocket if I wanted to at other times.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Police Officer
    I'd check with your local PD and see if there is an ordnance. The FIRST thing I would do is check with explorer advisor. I highly doubt they would allow it.
    Explorer562 likes this.
    Certified troll.