Forum Member

Is gear kept at the station or at home?

I was wondering if gear (belt, vest, uniform, etc) is kept at the station house or brought home. The reason I’m asking is because my children are at the curious age and want to keep all my future gear (hoping for the next class) out of their hands. Obviously the firearm will be locked away, but I don’t want my kids touching my baton, uniform, handcuffs and other gear. I was even considering purchasing the following for the house to keep everything safe from the kids (for the academy and the future):

First Response Lockers by Hallowell - Task Force XP - Emergency Response All-Welded Extreme Performance Lockers

What are your thoughts on this (besides being very buff )?
    Last edited by azonicdh; 05-08-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Exam 0321 08/09
    Done with everything

GOT THE CALL - 7/8/12
    July 2012 Academy

Forum Member
    Uniform or not, those are some mean looking lockers. Good for anything
    13O2 Aug '10
    List: <1000

Wish the NYPD invested in those lockers!

But to answer your question gear is usually stored at the precinct in a locker. The only thing that comes home with me is my off duty firearm.
    REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!"

Forum Member
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofqueens718 View Post
    Wish the NYPD invested in those lockers!

But to answer your question gear is usually stored at the precinct in a locker. The only thing that comes home with me is my off duty firearm.
    +1
    We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Yup. And as for your off duty, I would suggest something like a Stack On Safe. I've got 2 small kids, and as soon as I get home the off duty gets locked in my safe, which is bolted to the floor under my night stand.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

S*** just got real!
    +1, except I bring a pair of handcuffs back and forth with me as well.

Uniforms only come home to be washed. Gunbelt comes home twice a year for requals.

Forum Member
    I take everything home, as well as the regulars do since nobody goes on duty at the station house.

Forum Member

NYPD cops have lockers at their command, that everyone I know of keeps their gear in, unless of course you carry to and from, then you obviously have your firearms with you. Other agencies such as Suffolk County, you don't turn out from a command, but rather a relief point, so you bring all of your gear home with you. That type of locker would be a good investment if you ever work for an agency where you don't turn out at the station house.
    The JOB

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by FINEST616 View Post
    you don't turn out from a command, but rather a relief point
    How does that work?

Forum Member

SCPD for example, you will find out your assignment for the next few days (getting this info from someone else, not first hand), and each sector has a relief point such as a fire house, a church, etc. So you relieve the tour before you at that relief point rather then going to the station house to pick up the car.
    The JOB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigman888 View Post
    Are lockers assigned to each officer or are they shared?
    As per contract you get your own locker. You will however need to acquire a second one down the line, because with that cobra bag, and all of your arrest paperwork, memo books, summonses, etc. there is just too much gear to fit into one locker.
    The JOB

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reils49 View Post
    How does that work?
    In Nassau, similar to Suffolk, cars and radios are traded to the Officer just starting his tour from the Officer on the previous tour. A lot of the relief points are small police booths or fire houses. The booths are the best, I'm never more than 3 minutes away from any private bathroom in Nassau. A few of the booths are almost like homes, with people getting furniture and paintings put in them.

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by FINEST616 View Post
    SCPD for example, you will find out your assignment for the next few days (getting this info from someone else, not first hand), and each sector has a relief point such as a fire house, a church, etc. So you relieve the tour before you at that relief point rather then going to the station house to pick up the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by LINY View Post
    In Nassau, similar to Suffolk, cars and radios are traded to the Officer just starting his tour from the Officer on the previous tour. A lot of the relief points are small police booths or fire houses. The booths are the best, I'm never more than 3 minutes away from any private bathroom in Nassau. A few of the booths are almost like homes, with people getting furniture and paintings put in them.
    I learn something new everyday.

Forum Member
    I learn something new everyday.
    What do State Troopers do? I always thought they'd do something similar since their Barracks could be far away from their post.

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by LINY View Post
    What do State Troopers do? I always thought they'd do something similar since their Barracks could be far away from their post.
    You're assigned to a station, and that is where you start/finish your tour. We have locker rooms and almost nobody goes home in the bag. I leave all my gear stays at the barracks, and my off duty gets secured while I'm on duty. Some of us aren't lucky enough to work close to home, in which case you either move, rent a place or stay in the bunk room. 2 guys out of my station have 3+ years shacking up at the barracks, and they can't wait for this next class to graduate so they can transfer home.

As for the stations proximity to post....depending on where you are in the state, you might be covering a big area. My station covers 400 sq/mi and is comprised of 6 posts (4 complaint posts, and 2 traffic posts), on my shift their are 4 of us. Once in service you generally work your post, and perhaps an adjacent post as well if somebody gets tied up.

Forum Member
    You're assigned to a station, and that is where you start/finish your tour. We have locker rooms and almost nobody goes home in the bag. I leave all my gear stays at the barracks, and my off duty gets secured while I'm on duty. Some of us aren't lucky enough to work close to home, in which case you either move, rent a place or stay in the bunk room. 2 guys out of my station have 3+ years shacking up at the barracks, and they can't wait for this next class to graduate so they can transfer home.

As for the stations proximity to post....depending on where you are in the state, you might be covering a big area. My station covers 400 sq/mi and is comprised of 6 posts (4 complaint posts, and 2 traffic posts), on my shift their are 4 of us. Once in service you generally work your post, and perhaps an adjacent post as well if somebody gets tied up.
    Dang, that is a lot of area to cover. I would hate having to call for backup or help, at least here if I ever needed to I'd get 5 cars on scene within a minute.

A couple of Officers that I know work on the posts that they live on, so after their tour they just throw a jacket or windbreaker on over their uniforms and drive a couple of blocks to their homes.