Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Putting together trauma kit

Hello, I am currently going through first responder training in my police academy and I want to start putting together a field trauma kit. I have seen some similar posts in the past but could not find them when searching. I would like something in a pocket such as a CAT tourniquet. (I read about that in the past) What else should I carry on me that would be small?

besides the stuff for a pocket, I would like a bigger kit to keep in the car. What type of items should I get together in a kit? I am not familiar with all the products out there and would appreciate some help. Are there any pre assembled kits that I should get aimed at LEOs for shootings, stab wounds etc......

St. Cloud Proud!
    My personal kit in my pocket is a cat tourn, vacuum sealed quik clot gauze, vacuum sealed z pack gauze, all packed inside a plastic bag which doubles a a chest seal. Total cost around $70. If you wan to go cheaper swat t tourn is a good alt to cat and is only around $10. If you can go to alerrt level 2 they give you kit w/ everything you need total kit is worth about $125

For your car I would stay away from pre packaged kits as they are generally way over priced. Chinook med is a good place to buy supplies. I recommend getting a few tourniquests, packing gauze i prefer z pack, a few pressure dressings i prefer Israeli but olean are really good as well, set of med shears, some tape duct or otherwise, and a nasal airway or two if you are trained w/those. I spent around $200 total and that was enough for pocket kit, bail out bag kit, and med pouch on plate carrier
    Last edited by SCSU74; 05-08-2012 at 12:47 AM.
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member
    I got my stuff from BoundTree Medical.

Israeli Bandage
    Quik Clot
    Z Pack Gauze
    Asherman Chest Seal
    Trauma Shears

Forum Member

You can get a pre-made kit here, or build one up a-la-carte:

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/store/index.php

Our officers are issued the DOK w/QC gauze.

Under accessories, they have an ankle holster for a TQ that is pretty nifty.
    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

St. Cloud Proud!
    Which gen sof t are in the dok's? The one I have is very hard to apply one handed. I believe the gen 1's with the screw down on the buckle are much easier
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member
    I would consult w/ a dialed -in local medic before dropping any cansh. Also, I would advise to first assemble an IFAK then go from there.

I am fortunate enough that the local hospital-run EMS agency conducts this training and provides jump bags to those that complete the first responder training, inaddition to issuing IFAK's to all of our officers.

Forum Member

Most first responder classes cover only the basics. I haven't found one yet that went in depth into trauma management and ballistic wound care. Before you buy anything, get some training. Go to a class where you can actually get some hands on time with the equipment and see what works for you. Also, keep in mind medical training is like any other training, failure to conduct ongoing/sustainment training breads atrophy.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by careerchange#2 View Post
    Most first responder classes cover only the basics. I haven't found one yet that went in depth into trauma management and ballistic wound care. Before you buy anything, get some training. Go to a class where you can actually get some hands on time with the equipment and see what works for you. Also, keep in mind medical training is like any other training, failure to conduct ongoing/sustainment training breads atrophy.
    Couldn't agree more. I highly recommend alerrt level 2. They do a great job of teaching wound care and evacuation in a mass casualty incident. The first day is classroom stuff that covers proper tourniquet use, wound packing, pressure bandages and other basic topics. Day 2 is sim round scenarios w/ active shooters followed by medical care for the wounded Some of the scenarios were very realistic with spurting blood from wounds and variety of others that needed to be treated. The class is free and at the end they give you a med kit w/ cat tourniquet, qc gauze, shears, olean bandage, tape, and gloves. Was very impressed, it far surpassed the 10 hr training we received from our pd

Www.alerrt.org
    Last edited by SCSU74; 05-12-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    In Valor there is hope

Reserve Police Officer
    I agree with taking some classes first. That way you learn what to carry and how to use it. So you're not buying a kit and putting it in service without knowing how to use the stuff inside it.

Also is this kit for you and you only or is it for anyone injured you come across? If it is for you then I would recommend going to your chief and having everyone get a kit and finding a standard place in the patrol vehicle to put it. The EMS service that I work for used to teach the tactical medicine and give out kits to the local police departments. We would recommend the kits be placed inside the pocket on the driver side door. That way if an officer was injured he/she could at least crawl to the door and get access to the kit.

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Any thoughts on the mil-spec IFAK for personal use by police officers?

Basically, I want something on my patrol bag for use on me or my partner. I carry a tourniquet now, but I want to get some more stuff. Nothing big, something to grab quick and "stop the bleeding, start the breathing" kinda thing. Thoughts?
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by reils49 View Post
    Any thoughts on the mil-spec IFAK for personal use by police officers?

Basically, I want something on my patrol bag for use on me or my partner. I carry a tourniquet now, but I want to get some more stuff. Nothing big, something to grab quick and "stop the bleeding, start the breathing" kinda thing. Thoughts?
    6.6 Med Pouch | MOLLE Pouches | 5.11 Tactical

this is the one we were given at ALERRT. I like it a lot. It holds; shears, Olaes bandage, qc gauze x 2, nasal airway, chest seal, gloves, tape, and swat t tourn. I also have a seperate kit in my 5.11 push pack. The med pouch is nice because it has molle attachments that snap, currently i have it snapped onto my push pack. The push pack also has an area for another pistol and a bunch of mags so that is nice.

If you are looking for a kit to be carried on you i would just recommend making a pocket kit, tourniquet, qc, and maybe some z pak gauze in a plastic bag is really all you need on your person.

Here is a good thread talking about the same thing;

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-95595.html
    In Valor there is hope

RIP Seann1

This guy rides on my plate carrier. It is attached with "Molly Stix" so it can drop free from the carrier. Very slick.

I also carry on my duty belt a Maxpedition pouch with:
    - TQ
    - Pressure dressing
    - QC Combat Gauze
    - Chest seals

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

I ♥ my GLOCK
    Thanks guys.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq14 View Post

This guy rides on my plate carrier. It is attached with "Molly Stix" so it can drop free from the carrier. Very slick.

I also carry on my duty belt a Maxpedition pouch with:
    - TQ
    - Pressure dressing
    - QC Combat Gauze
    - Chest seals
    Which maxpedition pouch? Trying to find a smallish kit for belt
    In Valor there is hope

RIP Seann1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Which maxpedition pouch? Trying to find a smallish kit for belt
    Maxpedition M2

The "pressure dressing" is a SWAT-T. Not ideal, but enough to put pressure on packed Combat Gauze.

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq14 View Post
    Maxpedition M2

The "pressure dressing" is a SWAT-T. Not ideal, but enough to put pressure on packed Combat Gauze.
    Thanks. Any chance of a picture on your belt?
    In Valor there is hope

Overly Opinionated
    Tourniquet on my belt next to my med gloves. IFAK (Army Issue) on my patrol bag. And the above listed ITS med pouch (Mil/LE version) rides on my newly assembled SHTF/Active Shooter vest.

I don't have a medical kit for people outside of that. My medical equipment is for myself and fellow officers. I'm not going to be sued for my attempts to save your life. (While I have extensive medical training, it is not within the scope of my employment and I will not be held liable in civil court... my choice, you don't have to agree with it. ) My agency is lucky enough to have very efficient medical personnel who are able to quickly respond to any area in my jurisdiction. YMMV depending on how rural your agency is and what you feel comfortable providing.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

Forum Member

I really liked the idea of the ankle holster or the products that keep the items hidden on the belt. tac med solutions had some good stuff. Have you seen any other ankle holsters or hidden solutions? The one they sell in a kit holds the quikclot also but the one they sell by itself appears to just hold a tourniquet.

Also I was thinking about mounting the things on my vest but have not seen any smaller pouches. I just want to carry a swat-t or cat tourniquet and some quikclot powder and gauze
    Last edited by alex001; 05-14-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Caution: Unvetted member.
    I am very fortunate in that my agency is one of only a handfull nationwide, wherein the patrol deputies provide paramedic response anywhere in our county. All are certified paramedics, and respond anywhere they are needed. We have not just a SWAT team, but a PTRU; paramedic tactical rescue unit.

I carry a basic first responder kit becuase the paramedics don't carry bandaids. As a detective, they are my backup and secondary deputies on warrants and such. Even on the PT runs, we have a stocked medical unit unit following the run. Not that we're ALL really out of shape or anything... Ya now?

PM me if you would like more information about Deputy/Paramedics.
    Last edited by KenW.; 05-14-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex001 View Post
    I really liked the idea of the ankle holster or the products that keep the items hidden on the belt. tac med solutions had some good stuff. Have you seen any other ankle holsters or hidden solutions? The one they sell in a kit holds the quikclot also but the one they sell by itself appears to just hold a tourniquet.

Also I was thinking about mounting the things on my vest but have not seen any smaller pouches. I just want to carry a swat-t or cat tourniquet and some quikclot powder and gauze
    Eleven 10 Gear - Tourniquet / Self-Aid Pouch

Just ordered that for my belt, very small and holds either a soft t or cat in addition to qc. There is also a cat holder that can be worn on vest concealed, go on rescue essentials and type in cat holder.
    In Valor there is hope

Overly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by alex001 View Post

Depending on your vest style, this is a perfect way to mount your tourniquet...

Blue Force Gear Store

I have two of them. Depending on what you mean by "smaller" pouches and what exactly you want in your kit, there are many options. Especially if you have a MOLLE style vest. The ITS kit above is not overly large considering what's inside it. There is also the Dark Angel Med Kit Which is the same size as a double mag pouch. Other than those, you can find any small pouch you want and shove your respective kit inside... just be sure to label it accordingly.

Of the things you mentioned, you can easily fit them inside a small flashbang or smoke canister pouch and mount it on your vest. Entirely up to you.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

Forum Member

Thank you for the ideas, I am wearing a concealed vest under my duty uniform. We do not have external vests. I could possibly mount the pouches with velcro or something so those ideas are great!

Forum Member

You also need to look at you equipment in "layers." What I mean:

1. Uniform: if I am in a standard street uniform I wear at least a CAT TQ either on my ankle or on my vest. Depending on the detail of the day and if I'm wearing an outer vest I'll add a QC gauze.

2. Car: I have two blow out kits in the passenger compartment of my car; 1 next to the driver's seat against the "B" post and an identical one next to the passenger seat next to the "B" post. In them I have a tourniquet, pressure dressing, wound packing material, QC gauze, a chest seal, tape, chest needle, etc. These are easily accessed in the event I'm hit and lying on the ground near my car, or if I need to toss them to a downed officer.

3. Weapons: I have a TQ attached to each of my long guns, on the folding shoulder stock. This doesn't interfere with my cheek weld at all, and in higher threat situations it gives me an extra TQ.

In the trunk I keep a zoll monitor, full ALS equipment, etc, but that's another topic.

Forum Member

Mine when I'm out shooting in the middle of nowhere or somewhere else where professional medical help may be a while away.

ifak.jpg

Forum Member

I talked to tacmedsolutions and the ankle holster they have by itself is the same one that comes with the kit. The standalone holster will hold a hemostatic, tq, and chest seal also.... doesn't say that in the description so I thought some of you would like to know that.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last