Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Movie: 'End of Watch'

Forum Member

Watched Jake Gyllenhaal on Conan talking about his experience on the movie. He said they did 5 months, 2-3 times a week of ride alongs in preparation for the movie. Thought that was pretty cool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dansik View Post
    "I am the Police, and I am here to arrest you. You have broken the law. I did not write the law, I may even disagree with the law, but I will enforce it. Nothing will stop me from placing you in a steel cage with bars. Behind my badge is a heart like yours. I bleed, I think, I love, and yes, I can be killed. And although I am but one man, I have thousands of brothers and sisters who would die for me and I for them. We stand watch together. I am fate with a badge and a gun. The Thin-Blue-Line, protecting the prey from the predators, the good from the bad. We are the Police."
    Full Monologue:

I am the police. And I am here to arrest you.

You have broken the law. I did not write the law. I may even disagree with the law. But I will enforce it.

I will act professionally and treat you with respect. I also expect to be treated with respect. I will not insult you. I will not brutalize you. I will only use the force necessary to stop you.

I will do whatever it takes to place you in custody. I am prepared to deprive you of your freedom and if necessary your life. I will not hesitate to kill you if you endanger my life or the lives of others.

If you run away I will chase you. If you fight me I will fight back. If you shoot at me I will shoot back.

You are in this situation because something has gone wrong with your life. Most likely this moment has been a long time coming. As it is unlikely this moment may be an anomaly in an otherwise decent and law abiding life.

I understand that factors in your life have created easy justification for your actions. Poverty, lack of education, drug abuse, emotional and physical abuse may have conspired to rob you of the ability to obey the law. But many other people have endured and transcended much worse circumstances that the ones which have shaped your life. Yet you have made bad decisions. You are responsible for your behavior.

Your actions have made you my responsibility. No matter how you plead, cajole, beg or attempt to stir my sympathies nothing you do will stop me from placing you in a steel cage with grey bars. By law I am unable to walk away.

I am a consequence. I am the unpaid bill. I am fate with a badge and a gun. Behind my badge is a heart like yours. I bleed, I think, I love. And yes, I can be killed.

And although I am but one man, I have thousands of brothers and sisters who are the same as me. They will lay down their lives for me and I them. If you succeed in stopping me, you will not succeed in stopping them. We stand watch together, a thin blue line, protecting the prey from the predators. The good from the bad.

We are the police.

Forum Member

It was a great movie. That's a pretty rough place to work, and doesn't really compare to the dept I work for, but I can relate time to time.

that being said, I was at a police funeral 2 weeks ago, and seeing the end of the movie teared me up right away. gives me goosebumps thinking about it again.

I highly reccomend.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by celrod View Post
    Full Monologue:
    Just curious.. where did you get ahold of this? Is this just from the movie or is it from something else? Thanks for posting it. After reading it, I almost feel like seeing the movie again.

Forum Member

I loved this movie. I did make the mistake of taking my pregnant wife. She was not to thrilled with it making her worry even more now. I liked that they did keep it realistic. The ending was hard as I two just returned from an LEO funeral.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by surfdad View Post
    I loved this movie. I did make the mistake of taking my pregnant wife. She was not to thrilled with it making her worry even more now. I liked that they did keep it realistic. The ending was hard as I two just returned from an LEO funeral.
    Spoiler. Ahhh!!!!!

Night Watchman
    Saw it today with some buddies from work. Definitely one of the best, and more realistic cop flicks out there.

Some people here are saying that the movie wasn't realistic. Remember, if it was, it would have been five minutes of action followed by an hour and twenty five minutes of paperwork.

At least this movie showed the characters doing paperwork and submitting property. That's pretty rare in cop movies.
    Last edited by Street_Cop50; 10-01-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    Michigan likes this.
    Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Forum Member

Loved the movie .... when the booter was on the radio calling out a foot pursuit and didn't know where she was it got the pucker factor going....I've heard just that on the radio a few times...only thing I didn't like was the POV camera...they could have done a little less of that

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Spoiler. Ahhh!!!!!
    lol, wtf do you think END OF WATCH means?
    RGDS and grenster88 like this.
    Certified troll.

Forum Member

I thought this was a great movie. Most likely the best most realistic one out there. If anyone can point me to a more realistic one I would like to watch it.

Where I think it missed:

1.) When the officer gets stabbed in the eye and the recruit got brutalized - No other officers seem to show sympathy for them. I know that everyone doesn't get along, and that many aren't friends, but when one officer gets hurt almost all officers I know would be worried about them.

2.) The part where the recruit gets brutalized and turns in her badge. I thought she was near death and was unconscious. Most likely not the time someone would be turning in their badge.

3.) When the two stars are down in the alley and the 2 female cops arrive and ask for an ambulance. No way they wouldn't be putting officer down over the air. They just called it out like it was two randoms. (Unless I misread something.)

4.) I wish they would have showed officers showing a little more distress and empathy for their fellow officers who got hurt and showed them talking about it and officer safety in their squad. No way something like an officer getting stabbed in the eye and cops wouldn't be talking about it.

5.) I think if I was in as bad a position as they were I would have grabbed the AK47 or pump shotgun from one of the dead guys. You might now know how to operate an AK47 but anyone can operate a pump shotgun. Also, who wouldn't have hopped in that car and taken off?

Just my thoughts, otherwise it was a great film. One of my top 5 favorites of all time.

Forum Member

^ Michael Pena showed a bit of sympathy for the "boot" when he told Jake Gylenhal not to call her boot. I think the other two female cops were just being hard on her b/c they felt like she wouldnt make and she didnt.

Maybe its just me but would they really just "go back to work" after an incident like that?

Also, why did it take so long for back up to get to them at the end? On the car stop, back up was there and an airship and they didnt ask for it.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcharger79 View Post
    ^ Michael Pena showed a bit of sympathy for the "boot" when he told Jake Gylenhal not to call her boot. I think the other two female cops were just being hard on her b/c they felt like she wouldnt make and she didnt.

Maybe its just me but would they really just "go back to work" after an incident like that?

Also, why did it take so long for back up to get to them at the end? On the car stop, back up was there and an airship and they didnt ask for it.

We'd go back to work. We had 2 officers from our sister department stabbed and people arrived, helped, and went back to work.

I know right, they say officers being shot and they get no back up and no airship. You'd think an airship would at least be in there area after that call.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by HEDP View Post
    We'd go back to work. We had 2 officers from our sister department stabbed and people arrived, helped, and went back to work.

I know right, they say officers being shot and they get no back up and no airship. You'd think an airship would at least be in there area after that call.
    Its LA.....the friggin WORLD would be rolling to that one.....the street would look like the end of the Blues Brothers.

As far as 'going back to work' it would depend on the circs....if shots were fired by any of the officers, then ANYONE who witnessed it would not be going back out for hours, as they would have to wait to be interviewed by IA; Homicide ect ect.....the actual shooters wouldnt be going back out in the field for about a week.
    NYCDep and RGDS like this.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Realistic? Really?

You guys on the West coast fist fight thugs to prove your manhood and disrespect everyone you come in contact with? How do you find the time in between all of your shootings, stabbings and rouge detective work you do? lol

The movie was entertaining. It got the partner relationship right on, but beyond that it was holllywood.
    I'm not sure you noticed, but it's not like the timeline was over the course of a week. The story jumped what seemed like many months at a time to really only show their hot calls. On another note, it doesn't happen anymore, but many of the older guys I work with (including my Sgt.) have taken their badge and belt off to fight before.
    IRONWORKER likes this.

Forum Member
    It was a damn good movie. It was painful to see such an intense shootout last for such a long time before any backup seemed to arrive, but thats Hollywood and they needed to create a tense final scene. That and him staying in that alley with his partner whom he thought was dead. F that! Pick him up and run to the nearest big street you can find and flag people down since it appears their comms weren't working. Awesome movie though. I'm definitely going to be buying it when it comes out on BluRay.

Forum Member

I was on scene when a shift-mate was killed. It was a terrible thing to see, but we all kept working the scene because it's what we're trained to do. After a short while brass start showing up, and they rounded up everyone from the fallen officer's shift and made us leave the scene. That was when it really got hard.. right then I wanted to be working, not standing around with my shiftmates with everyone saying "WTF?!" But I'm sure it was for the best. We all got put on some kind of leave for almost 2 weeks.

Forum Member

Because Hollywood says so, that's why!

Forum Member
    Didn't the radio get shot out of his hand? I would guess that's why. Then again, remember it is a movie.

Forum Member

I thought the movie was great too. I did notice the officers not wearing seat belts. But overall I give it an 8 out of 10

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unidentifiedperson View Post
    I thought the movie was great too. I did notice the officers not wearing seat belts. But overall I give it an 8 out of 10
    You should wear a seatbelt since accidents are our biggest killer but I know a lot of cops that don't...
    The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Forum Member

A lot of guys don't wear seatbelts while patrolling through "the hood" for obvious reasons.

As for the help call, they used the phone to call 911 from the apartment after the radio was damaged.

Forum Member

In case anyone missed it and/or wants to see it again, they are re-releasing End of Watch in theaters Dec. 7th.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by unidentifiedperson View Post
    Our firearms instructor is a former LA Sheriff's SWAT officer, and he told me that he would never wear his seatbelt. Myself, I don't even like driving down the road without one.

Forum Member

One of them lost their radio but the other one was calling for backup and it took them about 10 minutes to arrive and when they did it was two or three cars.
    Last edited by CaptainKangaroo5691; 12-08-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Civillian
    I just watched it. I guess it was too hyped up for me because I wasn't really impressed. A few great scenes but overall I found it a little boring and difficult to watch ... I grew sick of the camera stylr after about 10 minutes.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last