Forum Member

Maryland becomes first state to ban employers from asking for social media passwords

Moving to the forefront of social media privacy law nationwide, the Maryland General Assembly has passed legislation prohibiting employers in the state from asking current and prospective employees for their user names and passwords to websites such as Facebook and Twitter.

If Gov. Martin O'Malley signs the bill — his office said it was one of hundreds of bills it has yet to review — the bill would make Maryland the first state in the nation to set such a restriction into law. Other states are considering similar legislation, including Illinois and California.
    Full article @ Facebook passwords: Maryland bill preventing employers from asking for social media passwords has passed - Baltimore Sun

How do you guy and girls feel about this? Personally, I never had a problem with this when I was asked to show my Facebook account to the background investigator. Other I know have had major issues with this though.

Forum Member

I believe this law is necessary. If an agency wants to contact friends, relatives, etc they should ask for their contact information in order to interview them. Giving them the ability to access your social media account is a slippery slope. It is my belief, that if you plan to have a career in law enforcement or any other career field, people should be very aware and careful of what information they post on social media.

Forum Member

This is a direct quote from the article you posted.

"Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore police spokesman, said his department looks at public social media content posted by applicants as part of its more in-depth background checks — which also include polygraph tests and interviews with applicants' friends and family — but doesn't ask for passwords and supports the legislation."

While this may be the new department policy; however, several years ago during my initial interview with a background investigator I was asked for my login and password. I had no cause for concern because I have never posted anything on social media that would raise concerns about my character, values, integrity, etc. But again, use caution when posting information or photos on social media because you just never know when it will come back to bite you.

Forum Member
    I think the law is a good one. Facebook can be a good source to gather info from on a particular person. To ask for my login and password is too far in my opinion. I would be more than happy to access it for them so they can look up what they want and/or need but I will not give a stranger (possible employer or not) my facebook password.
    What Is A Veteran?
    A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlightenment View Post

While this may be the new department policy; however, several years ago during my initial interview with a background investigator I was asked for my login and password. I had no cause for concern because I have never posted anything on social media that would raise concerns about my character, values, integrity, etc. But again, use caution when posting information or photos on social media because you just never know when it will come back to bite you.
    Completely understand. I was in the same situation two years ago. I'm still in college now, some of the things people post are well, questionable at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmblack View Post
    I would be more than happy to access it for them so they can look up what they want and/or need but I will not give a stranger (possible employer or not) my facebook password.
    I probably should have clarified a bit more. I agree with you 100% though. It's in interesting law

Forum Member

I had a buddy who joined the NYSP and was asked to bring his whole computer in.

Forum Member
    Also be careful what you post on here...not that hard for agencies to figure out who you are...

Forum Member
    Every agency I know of and have tested with has checked my Facebook. My page has absolutely nothing on it that would be a red flag, and I don't have any "likes" of anything racy or questionable. I'm friends with a lot of people from my church so I've got to keep it G rated.

There's really no reason to have anyone's password though. Anyone who has Facebook knows that there's no secret information revealed if you have the password.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Forum Member
    This legislation doesn't change a whole lot. It just changes the way departments go about it. You will be showing your account if you want to be hired. Instead of asking for your username and password and entering it in themselves... They just make you enter it in and then look at it with you being there.

Forum Member
    http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/20...formation.html

Quote Originally Posted by UD4LIFE View Post
    Also be careful what you post on here...not that hard for agencies to figure out who you are...

My work is done here

Wow...1st I've read that one.....I remember him on here too.

Will be interesting how it all pans out
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me