Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Departments Hiring With No Polygraph. I'm Tired of Unreliable Machines!

Forum Member

Departments Hiring With No Polygraph. I'm Tired of Unreliable Machines!

IF THIS THREAD IS IN THE WRONG SECTION, MY APOLOGIES.

Hello everyone, I'm still pretty new to the site but It's always had a life long dream of becoming a police officer. I have taken 3 polygraph exams for 3 separate departments and I've passed 2 and failed one. I just want to say this to get this out of the way, I'm not one of those people who are hiding something or that is looking to get in the easy way! I answered every question honestly on all 3 tests and never tried any type of drug in my life time. I just want to apply somewhere without a polygraph because I just view those machines as completely unreliable and inaccurate. I don't feel like being turned down for a job because a polygraph misread one of my replies, it really is disheartening. I know this question has been asked before but I don't think it has been asked recently, so perhaps there might be more departments hiring at the minute. So with all this out of the way:

Does anyone know of any departments hiring presently that do not polygraph?

Forum Member

Most agencies use polygraphs to DQ applicants. It is quite a deterrent for bad guys looking to get onto a department. Read up on the LAPD Rampart scandal from the 90s and you'll have a better understanding.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    VA Police do not use Polys...... but we DO have MBI's, which is a pretty in-depth background check.

OP, I'm not sure what your issue is, though. I cannot stand polys and also think they are inaccurate (Hence they are not admitted in court.) However, as mentioned before, agencies use them as investigative tools. And the bottom line is that most departments use them; get used to that fact. You said that you passed 2 and only failed once. (I'm assuming out of nerves or something.) If that one setback has you all flustered about the process, then you better dig deeper and get used to disappointment. Just wait until you're actually interviewed for your B.I., and all your little and big skeletons have to come out....... Just keep trying and don't sweat one failure.
    MRRBEST likes this.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    VA Police do not use Polys...... but we DO have MBI's, which is a pretty in-depth background check.

OP, I'm not sure what your issue is, though. I cannot stand polys and also think they are inaccurate (Hence they are not admitted in court.) However, as mentioned before, agencies use them as investigative tools. And the bottom line is that most departments use them; get used to that fact. You said that you passed 2 and only failed once. (I'm assuming out of nerves or something.) If that one setback has you all flustered about the process, then you better dig deeper and get used to disappointment. Just wait until you're actually interviewed for your B.I., and all your little and big skeletons have to come out....... Just keep trying and don't sweat one failure.
    Hey Quiet, thanks for the reply. I know that most agencies do polygraph, I was just frustrated at a no where close to perfect technology denying me a chance of a job. Na, not hiding anything at all but as you said it was likely nerves that made me fail the exam that day. Thanks for the reply, all the best.

Forum Member

....edit.."
    Last edited by FTRthnU; 04-18-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Forum Member

There has to be a reason the 2 you passed didn't hire you. May be the reason why the one you failed didn't.

I did a VSA (voice stress test) and it did mess up. It said I lied about me stating i've never stolen any merchandise. YET I was asked if I answered my written questions (same questions) honestly and answered all verbal questions honestly I said Yes .. it said I was telling the truth. So it pretty much said I lied but told the truth.... I have never ever stolen anything. My mom would have straight up beaten me.
    BUT I was passed... and hired...

Honestly, I would look into why you weren't hired in the first place instead of blaming a test. There has to be a legit reason.

Forum Member

I don't feel like being turned down for a job because a polygraph misread one of my replies, it really is disheartening.
    If you are going to be hired into a LE position you will have to get used to disappointment. Very few people get hired by their first choice.

However, the ones that have the best chance of being hired are those that apply to every opening, regardless of a poly or not.

Operator
    Voodoo Science screwing up good folks from being hired...... Nothing more/nothing less.

Good for investigations...? Perhaps...

Good for BI's....? Nope....

Forum Member
    I personally know 2 folks who initially failed the poly, but got hired anyway. Both due to the same issue. Discussion with the BI and the poly examiner cleared things up.

Forum Member
    MN does not have poly, but our field is FLOODED with applicants.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Why so serious?
    OP, you made no mention of where you wish to work, you looking to apply anywhere in the U.S., in a specific state, in a specific region of a state, etc?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish_in_ny View Post

Hello everyone, I'm still pretty new to the site but It's always had a life long dream of becoming a police officer. I have taken 3 polygraph exams for 3 separate departments and I've passed 2 and failed one. I just want to say this to get this out of the way, I'm not one of those people who are hiding something or that is looking to get in the easy way! I answered every question honestly on all 3 tests and never tried any type of drug in my life time. I just want to apply somewhere without a polygraph because I just view those machines as completely unreliable and inaccurate. I don't feel like being turned down for a job because a polygraph misread one of my replies, it really is disheartening. I know this question has been asked before but I don't think it has been asked recently, so perhaps there might be more departments hiring at the minute. So with all this out of the way:

Michigan State Police is currently hiring. I do not know of any departments in Michigan that poly.
    republicangopmh likes this.

Forum Member
    Poly's are just a tool in the investigative tool box... I've seen terrorists pass a poly who were complete turds and proved it in the long run. Again, great tool but not 100%.

US Park Police doesn't have a poly, but won't hire again probably until next year.

Forum Member

Polygraphs are illegal for use during hiring processes in Massachusetts, to include hiring for any LEO positions.
    George Maschke likes this.

No Mas Pantalones
    My department is hiring and doesn't use poly's....but you'd have to sit in the jail for about a decade or so....

And really? Only 3 departments?? Put on your big-boy pants cause, in this market, you could have to apply for DOZENS before getting hired - so get used to rejection.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    OP, you made no mention of where you wish to work, you looking to apply anywhere in the U.S., in a specific state, in a specific region of a state, etc?
    Sorry about that, I'm in New York but no one is hiring near me aside from the NYPD. I don't have a problem working anywhere along the east coast and the south.
    Whitty likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aerohead View Post
    My department is hiring and doesn't use poly's....but you'd have to sit in the jail for about a decade or so....

And really? Only 3 departments?? Put on your big-boy pants cause, in this market, you could have to apply for DOZENS before getting hired - so get used to rejection.....
    Yeah, only 3 departments, as they say you have to start somewhere. I'll get around to applying for more soon.

Forum Member

Sorry about that, I'm in New York but no one is hiring near me aside from the NYPD. I don't have a problem working anywhere along the east coast and the south.
    I know many NY folks who came a few hours south to B'more. You get the big city experience w/o the NY wait. As for the poly, not sure if they still use it or not. Regrettably, it is a fact of life or right of passage for many agencies. In regard to not getting hired after passing a couple of poly's, I would file a FOIA request to find out why you were passed over. Throw your hat in as many rings as possible. In this current economic state, people see job security with law enforcement. The downside is that once the economy turns around, they will all bail back to the private sector leaving many departments strapped for personnel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Voodoo Science screwing up good folks from being hired...... Nothing more/nothing less.

Good for investigations...? Perhaps...

Good for BI's....? Nope....
    +1

Good interviewer/operator=Accurate results
    Bad interviewer/operation=tools getting through or good people DQing

Forum Member

I have taken a handful of polys and every time I get asked twice if I ever used illegal drugs. The second time always clears me up, and I have never used any. For some reason the first time I'm asked it spikes ever so slightly but I'm always good to go... So I cant say I trust it 100%
    And I work with guys that applied 8 times to my agency before they got it, I applied once and only to this agency and got it... No real rhyme to this field.

Forum Member

I believe Rhode Island does not use poly's either.

Forum Member

I heard of a chief in an orange county pd that doesn't believe in them since he failed two of them. He eliminated it from the hiring process and doesn't believe they are necessary.
    Last edited by Jimbo_90; 04-20-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Forum Member
    I failed one and passed one in the almost 3 months apart. Failed one 3 years ago and so did a friend of mine in VT. Before the Poly I was told they only like to hire locals. Funny myself and my friend were from NY. From what I hear most agencies don't use him anymore. GFY Prior
    beachcop05 and semper03 like this.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mayburymh View Post
    Polygraphs are illegal for use during hiring processes in Massachusetts, to include hiring for any LEO positions.
    Polygraphs are the least of your worries if your pursuing LE employment in MA. Unless you are a resident and have veteran points you have 0 chance of employment in that state. Rhode Island doesn't have polygraphs I believe. Warwick RI was just hiring but the cutoff date may have passed. Also agree with Bearcat, it's a voodoo science.

Solo is how I roll

Are you sure the polys were the reasons you were DQEd? You obviously passed two of three, so in at least two occasions the poly may have not been the reason you were DQed. Maybe your oral interview DQed you or other applicants with more experience got selected to move on…..

I really don’t have a problem with polys. Of course I say that because I have taken two and passed both. One for a city PD and the other for the State. I can understand some folk’s skepticism about them and how it may cost them a chance to get a job. However it is what it is if you prefer to work for certain agencies.

In my opinion agencies that use them are looking for honesty. I was far from an angel growing up and made my mistakes here and there, but the attitude I took when confronted with the poly both times, was to tell truth. I basically laid it out and left it to the agency to make the decision on whether to hire me or not. I can not stress how important integrity and honesty can be when you’re applying for a LE gig. I went as far as admitting to stuff I didn’t need to, just to make sure they couldn’t come back and say I omitted something. To some agencies, omissions can be just as detrimental as flat out lies.

Don’t know how old you are or what experience you bring to table, but like others have stated or in case you haven’t noticed the LE job market is flooded right now with all manner applicants. Folks with prior LE or military backgrounds are applying in droves, so if you have neither of these on your resume, expect to be competing against folks who are a lot more desirable to LE agencies then someone with no life, LE or military experience.

Based on your attitude towards polygraphs, the key for you is finding a place you will be happy working at for the rest of your life that doesn’t use a polygraph as a hiring tool……

Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last