Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Correctional Officers with "Peace Officer" status.

Zoo Keeper

Correctional Officers with "Peace Officer" status.

Just wondering if there is anybody on the forum that works for a jail facility (county, state, or federal) that is authorized to carry a firearm off-duty.
    Sincerely, Harry Balczak

Forum Member

NYC correction officers are peace officers and carry off duty...
    ccsd0601 likes this.
    The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccsd0601 View Post
    Just wondering if there is anybody on the forum that works for a jail facility (county, state, or federal) that is authorized to carry a firearm off-duty.
    With the peace officer status , you are allowed to carry off duty, and YES I DO.
    ccsd0601 likes this.

Forum Member
    I am a Deputy Sheriff at my agency and yes, I always carry off duty. Our policy, in fact, states that we are required to.
    Last edited by crawfish963; 04-17-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    ccsd0601 likes this.

Forum Member

County co from ny and we are authorized to carry off duty with the weapon that we qualify with. Same as NYC corrections. Peace officer authority on duty and off duty

Forum Member

IN NY they were putting a bill through making NYC DOC fully sworn police Officers,in short all corrections officers in NYC and NYS are eligible to carry off duty.

All things to all people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldest Recruit View Post
    IN NY they were putting a bill through making NYC DOC fully sworn police Officers,in short all corrections officers in NYC and NYS are eligible to carry off duty.
    An attempt to grant NYS Correction Officers 'POLICE OFFICER' status was in the Legislature back in the mid-1970s. That effort was backed by Council 82 and failed with the bill not even getting out of committee.

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish963 View Post
    I am a Deputy Sheriff at my agency and yes, I always carry off duty. Our policy, in fact, states that we are required to.
    Crawfish, for your info, in New York State, we have TWO categories of Law Enforcement Officers: POLICE and PEACE OFFICERS. POLICE OFFICERS are the backbone of the criminal justice system engaged in crime prevention and apprehension of offenders. PEACE OFFICERS generally perform a law enforcement duty relating to the specialized nature of their employment. POLICE officers have greater 'powers of arrest' than peace officers. The vast majority of peace officers in New York State are Correction, State Court, Parole and Probation Officers. Most agencies that employ peace officers discourage their off-duty officers from making any type of physical arrests.

Forum Member
    BOP can carry off duty thanks to LEOSA 2010 P.L. 110-272.
    ccsd0601 likes this.
    So who took my doggy treats????

Quote Originally Posted by ccsd0601 View Post
    What are laws regarding Correctional Officers in Illinois? Do they possess any 'powers of arrest' on or off-duty? Can they purchase personally owned handguns on their status as a Correction Officer w/o the need of a pistol license? I know Illinois has strict gun laws as New York and California but don't know whether Corrections Officers are treated as private citizens or sworn law enforcement.

Zoo Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CountyCorrectionOfficer View Post
    What are laws regarding Correctional Officers in Illinois? Do they possess any 'powers of arrest' on or off-duty? Can they purchase personally owned handguns on their status as a Correction Officer w/o the need of a pistol license? I know Illinois has strict gun laws as New York and California but don't know whether Corrections Officers are treated as private citizens or sworn law enforcement.
    Read this:

Cook County Sheriff's Office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The funny part is that we do have peace officer status, but the department is giving us a very hard time in regards to being able to carry after we retire. Also, according to the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB), Correctional Officers are NOT considered as LE, but the Federal government considers us as such. The state says that we are only peace officers by merit of the sheriff's office. Long story short, it's all politics. But all correctional officers, both county and state (except Cook County), are not allowed to carry off-duty. If they choose to, they carry to and from work like a security guard would.

So my Deputy card says Correctional Officer/Deputy Sheriff. If you are de-deputized (in an not authorized to carry status) for whatever reason, then your Deputy card would say Correctional Officer, and below it, it would have a red stripe, stating that you are not authorized to carry.
    Last edited by ccsd0601; 04-24-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    Sincerely, Harry Balczak

Forum Member
    Crawfish, for your info, in New York State, we have TWO categories of Law Enforcement Officers: POLICE and PEACE OFFICERS. POLICE OFFICERS are the backbone of the criminal justice system engaged in crime prevention and apprehension of offenders. PEACE OFFICERS generally perform a law enforcement duty relating to the specialized nature of their employment. POLICE officers have greater 'powers of arrest' than peace officers. The vast majority of peace officers in New York State are Correction, State Court, Parole and Probation Officers. Most agencies that employ peace officers discourage their off-duty officers from making any type of physical arrests.
    Interesting.... In Texas, Peace Officer and Police or Police Officer are the same. I have the authority to enforce all violations committed in my presence, misdemeanors and felonies. I can arrest outside my jurisdiction for breaches of the peace and felony violations. I have the same authority as a State Police officer, just not the jurisdiction obviously.
    ccsd0601 likes this.

Hack
    Interesting.... In Texas, Peace Officer and Police or Police Officer are the same. I have the authority to enforce all violations committed in my presence, misdemeanors and felonies. I can arrest outside my jurisdiction for breaches of the peace and felony violations. I have the same authority as a State Police officer, just not the jurisdiction obviously.
    My question to you is, why would you want to? You are a jailer, not a road cop. Do you carry a gun, radio, cuffs and ticket book on you when you are off duty? Didn't think so, so how do they expect you to do all that you stated above? I have friends that were jailers with me in my old department that ended up going to the road and loved it, never looking back.
    Last edited by BSOdeputy; 04-25-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Forum Member

BILL NUMBER:A6104

TITLE OF BILL: An act to amend the criminal procedure law, in relation
    to granting police officer status to members of the uniformed correction
    force of the New York city department of correction

PURPOSE: To extend police officer status to members of the uniform
    correction force of the New York City Department of Correction.

SUMMARY OF PROVISIONS: Adds paragraph (s) to subdivision thirty-four of
    Section 1.20 and amends subdivision twenty-five of Section 2.10 of the
    Criminal Procedure Law.

JUSTIFICATION: Uniformed correction officers of the New York City
    Department of Correction are trained in their own academy, where they
    receive training that is equal to or better than the training received
    by many police officers. The police cannot be at all places at all
    times. The extension of police officer status to correction officers
    would enable the City of New York to more effectively wage its own war
    against crime in a most economical manner.

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: S.3264 of 2005-06. Referred to Codes.

FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: None.

EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately.
    ccsd0601 likes this.

Forum Member

Criminal Procedure Law.

'NUFF said.......
    ccsd0601 likes this.

Zoo Keeper
    Same here... My jurisdiction is Cook County, IL. The only thing we can't do is write tickets and do traffic stops. With the training that we already receive, we are literally missing roughly 2 1/2 weeks of extra training to be considered full-fledged police officers. Our administration claims that all this will change and that we will all be under one star, one patch, one uniform (a-la Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept). Unfortunately, if you're familiar with the Chicago-machine style politics, it probably will never happen. That, and we don't get the proper backing from our department heads, where it is to the point where officers are afraid to do their jobs.
    Sincerely, Harry Balczak

Criminal Procedure Law.

You're looking at a tough road ahead for this bill. Council 82 attempted to obtain 'POLICE OFFICER' status for state corrections officers back in the mid-1970s. That effort failed and the bill didn't even get out of committee. Unless city government supports this legislation; it will find a similar fate. Reading this bill I noticed it was introduced in the state senate (2005) as well but was never voted upon on the floor.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSOdeputy View Post
    My question to you is, why would you want to? You are a jailer, not a road cop. Do you carry a gun, radio, cuffs and ticket book on you when you are off duty? Didn't think so, so how do they expect you to do all that you stated above? I have friends that were jailers with me in my old department that ended up going to the road and loved it, never looking back.
    I guess I don't quite understand your point here. First of all, I'm not always in the jail. We get some in-car time at my agency. Also, I work some off-duty jobs, some plain clothes and some in uniform, doing everything from traffic control on holidays to plain clothes at retail stores, etc. And I carry my firearm everywhere I go and usually an extra mag and a set of cuffs along with it. Maybe it's just different in New York, but here, if I see a violation, I'm going to handle it just like any "road cop" would when off-duty: investigate and arrest if discretion calls for it.

Also, I'm trying to move to patrol where I'm at but competition is stiff and it takes some time. The only thing that differentiates me from my patrol counterparts is some additional FTO time. I'm just in the jail division instead of the criminal division.
    ccsd0601 likes this.

Hack
    I guess I don't quite understand your point here. First of all, I'm not always in the jail. We get some in-car time at my agency. Also, I work some off-duty jobs, some plain clothes and some in uniform, doing everything from traffic control on holidays to plain clothes at retail stores, etc. And I carry my firearm everywhere I go and usually an extra mag and a set of cuffs along with it. Maybe it's just different in New York, but here, if I see a violation, I'm going to handle it just like any "road cop" would when off-duty: investigate and arrest if discretion calls for it.

Also, I'm trying to move to patrol where I'm at but competition is stiff and it takes some time. The only thing that differentiates me from my patrol counterparts is some additional FTO time. I'm just in the jail division instead of the criminal division.
    Ahhhh now its a bit clearer... Good luck!
    The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Forum Member

We're certified peace officers here in Nevada, with full powers of arrest. If anything though, CO's have a strong need to carry off duty than road cops, because they are more likely to be recognized IMHO. Think about it - a road cop may be with an arrestee for maybe a few hours. If the person does any time in jail, they're with me for 12 hours a day, 3-4 days a week. They are far more likely to recognize me off duty than any patrol officer.
    ComicGuy and ccsd0601 like this.

God Bless Texas
    Let me help crawfish out...

If a County CO/City Jailer has only completed the 96 hr jail school, they CAN NOT carry on their Sheriff's ID. There's a separate weapons certification for jailers that is only good while performing their duties, and gives them no powers of arrest. Along with that, most Sheriff's will let them carry to/from work if they are carried as a weapons proficent jailer.

Now, if they've completed the 640 Basic Peace Officer Course that all Texas LEOs complete, then yes they can carry IF they are commissioned as a Peace Officer. They have 24/7 authority/powers statewide, with exception of traffic offenses, which jursidction is limited to their counties. Of course, that's all subject to department policy/procedure

TDCJ (and whatever TYC is calling themselves now) COs are NOT sworn peace officers (OIG is, but that's a different animal). They can only carry on duty in an official capacity, and may not make arrests unless it's an escaped/absconded offender.
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Forum Member
    We can here in Florida. And if you work Miami-Dade County, we definately do. And when I'm out of state I also do. Especially when I'm visiting my home state of Chicago!
    ccsd0601 likes this.

Forum Member

I work for a county jail in central Illinois. We are certified Peace Officers and have limited arrest powers on county property only but our Sheriff will not let us carry off duty.

Forum Member

Im able to carry offduty without a Peace Officer status in the gun unfriendly state of MD. I open carry to/from work in uniform and CC while in civilian attire. I just cant detain/arrest anybody. Personally, I think all COs should be certified peace officers so we can take additional charges out on inmates after assaults or contraband incidents.
    Serving Anne Arundel County since 2005

Forum Member
    The California Dept. of Corrrections allows their personnel with peace officer status, to carry of duty with the proper qualification. You carry your personal weapon of choice.

Graydog,
    Retired, Ca.
    With Strength and Power We Will Prevail......

Page 1 of 2 12 Last