Certificates that look good on a resume?

What are some classes/certificates or licenses that you can take to spice up your resume to a Police Department? Ones that could give you some more life experience? Would things like CPR/First Aid certificate, or EMT/paramedic certificate or some volunteer fire fighting experience look good? What are some other useful classes that may look good on a resume?

The only one that will really spruce up a law enforcement resume and make any difference is a POST certificate
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

Forum Member
    Police certification, a college degree, ability to speak a foreign language that is common in your area ... A lot of stuff that you would pay for as a non LEO is just considered crap. An EMT or paramedic cert doesn't mean anything unless the dept is cross-trained (It could be argued that it is good knowledge to have, but it isn't going to help you in the hiring process). Also, if you get a cert, you have to pass annual written and skill station testing, as well as take periodic refresher courses. If you are not going to run as a first responder somewhere, you are setting yourself up for failure. The police dept. will train you in what they think you need to know.

Forum Member
    Take continuing education that you enjoy, because most likely the department is going to say, "Oh, that is nice..." to many certificate programs.

Speaking a foreign language fluently is going to be the biggest benefit to you professionally and more importantly from a practical point of view.
    Ut humiliter opinor

Quote Originally Posted by ddurkof View Post
    Speaking a foreign language fluently is going to be the biggest benefit to you professionally and more importantly from a practical point of view.
    +1

Especially Spanish and ASL (American Sign Language).

Forum Member
    In addition to the excellent thoughts of my colleagues, let me add this. Many, many entrance level hiring processes involve a written examination. This is especially true in Civil Service hiring processes. You could conceivably have a very impressive resume, but if you fail to score well on the written exam, you won't be hired. It really is that simple. Most Civil Service written exams have a passing grade of 70%. As a practical matter, you'll need to score in the mid to high nineties on the exam in order to placed highly enough on the Eligibility Register to be reachable, thus hireable. All of that said, a proficiency in a second language, especially one spoken in the area you apply in would be helpful. I'd forget the EMT certifications etc, as they simply won't be that valuable in a hiring process.

verbaljudo

This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Gerbil Voodoo
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

I like the gold certificates with bold black print, those look the prettiest.
    "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...
    Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land... The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa."
    Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

If anything, I would recommend taking some of the basic Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Independent Study Courses; specifically the Incident Command (IS-100 and IS-200 series) and the National Incident Management System (NIMS). These courses are 100% online, free and self study.

Completion of these and related courses are a nearly universal requirement and would likely be repeated in the academy or follow-on training, but it can’t hurt to crack the egg now. See: http://www.training.fema.gov/IS/

I would issue a caution to ensure that any training you take is recognized and legitimate. From time to time itinerant operators will crop up and peddle their wares, which are of dubious value. Do your homework before investing in any non-traditional training.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................