Half Cocked Infidel

Question Do you run steel cased?

Through your AR?
    Or do you not concern yourself. I keep hearing not to run steel cased 556/223 through my 6920.

Rookie

I have run some through mine, haven't noticed any problems with running it through there. I prefer to run brass cased, but sometimes the economy dictates steel cased.

Forum Member

I cannot reliably fire steel cased ammo in my LMT rifle while my other buddies have no issues in other rifles. My extractor tends to chew into those steel cases quite a bit, but has never had issue with brass.

The main issue as I see it is that typically the steel cased ammunition is of cheaper grade and as such you have to be mindful if you are buying corrosive vs. non-corrosive ammunition.

Senior Veteran

Yes, I run steel cased ammo, specifically Wolf and it runs just fine. If I shoot a lot, after a while I may get a FTE. I clear the jam, run a chamber brush several times, and I'm good to go. I primarily use brass cased ammo, but for general plinking or in areas where I can't scavange my brass (or anyone else's!) I'll shoot the steel cased ammo.
    Steve

Professor of Stuff
    http://forums.officer.com/showthread...y-an-AR-15-huh

Here, go there... or otha' thready's...

I think proper extraction depends on many variables..I.E. Friction coefficient of the case material, Annealing between case and chamber, extractor material and spring tension...Blah blah blah...
    Last edited by asullivan; 04-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Half Cocked Infidel

Holy crap, asullivan does speak english. Guess ive been away too long.

I see dumb people...
    Some AR-15 manufacturers will not warrantee their guns if you run steel cased ammo through them. It's a simple matter of physics -- gun chambers are made of steel, which is harder than brass. When running brass cases, the brass wears from the friction between the case and the chamber, not the chamber. When running steel cases, steel-on-steel causes both to wear.

So, you can buy cheap steel cased ammo all you want, but you're wearing out your gun chamber every time you squeeze the trigger. And like I said, some of the manufacturers won't warrantee the gun when you develop problems from this. Save money on ammo, buy a whole new gun! That doesn't seem worth it to me.
    MAC

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by American1stClss View Post
    Holy crap, asullivan does speak english. Guess ive been away too long.

...Twern't ma' it was dat' flea bitten, sack of horse turds TrIggAr' I do, I do, I do say!!!

He' done hyPnoTized ma' and Got's ma' passwerd' thingy or dumP'in.... Iz gunnazz' beat him bloody I is!!!

Well, it's not too hard when your "password" is password....
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by American1stClss View Post
    Through your AR?
    Or do you not concern yourself. I keep hearing not to run steel cased 556/223 through my 6920.
    One of the biggest issues is chamber size. A 5.56 chamber is a little looser than .223.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMonkey View Post
    I cannot reliably fire steel cased ammo in my LMT rifle while my other buddies have no issues in other rifles. My extractor tends to chew into those steel cases quite a bit, but has never had issue with brass.

The main issue as I see it is that typically the steel cased ammunition is of cheaper grade and as such you have to be mindful if you are buying corrosive vs. non-corrosive ammunition.
    New production stuff shouldn't be corrosive. There is, however, a butt-load of older ammo out there that still is. Or that lacquer-coated Bear crap...

Quote Originally Posted by asullivan View Post
    I think proper extraction depends on many variables..I.E. Friction coefficient of the case material, Annealing between case and chamber, extractor material and spring tension...Blah blah blah...
    That, plus old steel casings expanding in a steel chamber makes it lock the phuck up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mac266 View Post
    Some AR-15 manufacturers will not warrantee their guns if you run steel cased ammo through them.
    And they'll know if you do it, too.

Steel casings in steel chambers requires lots of lube. Almost sloppy wet - like you want your girl to be. Fekkin' lube everywhere.... If it eeks out the back of the bolt carrier and through the area where the charging handle latches...well, that's too much. But you get the idea. Lots of lube and clean it like a transient in intake - scrub the SHEOT out of it.

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    One of the biggest issues is chamber size. A 5.56 chamber is a little looser than .223.
    Hummmmm... well 5.56 mm = 0.233 inches I 'dink..... Sooooo, yaz a say'in dat da' loaded non-fired cartridge 5.56mm x45mm is smaller dan' da' chamber for "fire form'in" (kinda' like annealing) like I did's declares in above testimony...

New production stuff shouldn't be corrosive. There is, however, a butt-load of older ammo out there that still is. Or that lacquer-coated Bear crap...
    Well if da' primers are "hard" or as ya'll say coRrosive like, just throw it in a gay bath house...... (afta' yaz' shoot da' holy hell outta' it)....... wid' lots O' steam and other stuff, then scrub a' dub away's ......until all da' rust is off da' lands and lays inside da' BBL. Den' ya gots a nice new "slick" tube..

BTW Sarge.... I never did see dis' here stuffy called "lacquer-coated Bear crap....not dat' iz' a say'in dar' not such a critter...I just nevea' seen bear crap on a loaded cartridge befer'....

That, plus old steel casings expanding in a steel chamber makes it lock the phuck up!!!

And they'll know if you do it, too.
    who's they??? I ask thee??

Steel casings in steel chambers requires lots of lube. Almost sloppy wet - like you want your girl to be. Fekkin' lube everywhere.... If it eeks out the back of the bolt carrier and through the area where the charging handle latches...well, that's too much. But you get the idea. Lots of lube and clean it like a transient in intake - scrub the SHEOT out of it.
    But if yaz' grease it up all up real good, like Ma' girl Mary Lu, won't dat' cause much higher chamber pressures due ta' da' lack of da' case, again, fireform'in ta' da' inside Of da' chamber????? because da' expand'in cartidge has noth'in ta' grab onta', like da' chamber, ta' fire form ta'???

Or is da' ammo such crap that it's got a bad case of da' pimples......

Now's, in my next threadY thingy, Iz a' gunna' go through da' whole "process" from pull'in da' charg'in handle back ta' da' bullet leav'in da' muzzle....And I mean everthaNg, I is...

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.