Forum Member

Any advice to prepare for a career for law enforcement

I am currently a freshman working towards a bachelors degree at Minnesota State University in Mankato, MN for law enforcment with a minor in Sociology. I have a job with premier security and have never been in trouble with the law nor do I plan to. I am considering working as a Reserve officer when I turn 21 in Mankato (how positive does this look in employers eyes?). Am I on the proper track towards the ultimate goal of being hired? I do understand the awful economy we are in so if anybody can get me some further advice that could help me be a step ahead I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by bostonhockey17; 04-16-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Forum Member

Obviously, your first and most important goal is to continue to pursue your degree. You might want to explore the possibilities of internships with local LE agencies or with the University Police. Also look into the possibility of part time employment with the University Police as a student aide or in some capacity. Don't limit you applications and inquiries to just one or two departments. Look around a little. Be very careful of who you associate with, and avoid drugs and alcohol. Be dedicated to your studies and maintaining a decent GPA. Good luck.

Band-aid jockey
    ^^^This...and learn to spell ADVICE

Forum Member
    Avoid stupid friends who get you in stupid situations. Watch what you post online. The obvious about drugs, alcohol, driving record, and getting arrested.

Forum Member

You seem to be on the right track so far, and reserve officer experience is normally looked upon as positive experience, especially if you are applying for a full-time position with the same department.

Che
    Forum Member

Do you have an aptitude for criminal justice?

I had a young woman trainee who had degree, book smarts, etc. Took her out to write speeding tickets in a 25 mph zone with a radar gun. I am observing and after a dozen cars go pass at 40+. I ask her what is up? She had no clue. I took her to stop sign, same thing. Then an intersection with traffic signals. She just did not get it.

Forum Member

I was somewhat like that when I first started security, but we deal mostly with parties and drunks. Reasoning why I was like that was I wasn't sure of the powers I had, because I worked retail for the past 2 years. After I received my training to use handcuffs, chemical agents, and baton I have conducted citizen's arrest on a few occasions due to trespassings and the occasional fight. So I am confident to confront someone if I have any reasonable belief they are conducting in any criminal activity.