Forum Member

Traveling by Amtrak

Planning a trip via Amtrak with grandson, and wondering has anyone had any experiences carrying on the service. I am active LEO.

Forum Member
    Don't have that experience, but it took me 14 hours to get from NY to Virginia. I'm not planning on going on Amtrak ever again.

Civillian
    My understanding is that you can not carry unless you're on official business. I believe it's their policy and not an actual law. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It's Complicated
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Put it this way. There is absolutely no security screening process. I think thats kinda odd especially with the terrorism. I didn't say anything and jumped aboard. I heard you can ride for free if you see an AMTRAK officer just ask. I just paid for mine.

Forum Member

You can have firearms in your checked baggage, but not carry on.

*for us non-LE folks.
    Last edited by Till; 04-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Forum Member
    Amtrak is now covered under LEOSA. They better not have a problem with you carrying.

Forum Member
    Keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Forum Member
    Come find one of us around the station..won't be an issue
    Amtrak Police: NY/NJ

Forum Member

I asked Amtrak about firearm carry and transport recently. For on-person CC you can just get there a little early, show your creds, and let them know you're carrying. If you have ammo or guns in any of your bags they want you to check them in with a special handling procedure designation.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone, planning a trip to flagstaff arizonia with the grandson, we are astronomy nuts and wanted to go to a dark sky city.

Forum Member

Do yourself a favor bring a stocked cooler full of food and beverages. Didnt know I could. Group next to us pretty much tailgated the whole time. We were stuck paying for food and beers from the trains food cart.

Civillian
    I read this thread and the comments made by cops then I go over to the Colombia thread and hear the preaching about how cops are held to higher standard and "must be of good moral character"...
    which one is it? Do you only break policies that you deem are necessary? Where's the manual for rule breaking?

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by jannino View Post
    I read this thread and the comments made by cops then I go over to the Colombia thread and hear the preaching about how cops are held to higher standard and "must be of good moral character"...
    which one is it? Do you only break policies that you deem are necessary? Where's the manual for rule breaking?
    I think the below answer (note his signature as to where he works) takes care of the question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent A-Hop View Post
    As to the rest of the answers..............maybe a bit of humor..................maybe
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Civillian
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I think the below answer (note his signature as to where he works) takes care of the question...

As to the rest of the answers..............maybe a bit of humor..................maybe
    If Amtrak's position is no firearms then it doesn't matter what some of their employees let happen. That makes it even worse.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jannino View Post
    You might be confusing polices with rules. Policies are to be used as a guide, not a bible. Policies can be deviated from to solve a problem, rules cannot.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent A-Hop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
    I asked Amtrak about firearm carry and transport recently. For on-person CC you can just get there a little early, show your creds, and let them know you're carrying. If you have ammo or guns in any of your bags they want you to check them in with a special handling procedure designation.
    Lets try this again.............one poster who is an Amtrak cop said there is no problem.

Another poster called and said AMTRAK told him to show your creds and there will be no problem.

Besides.............Much like the store that has a "No Weapons' sign on the door............that isn't a law, it is a business policy.

In other words if i am LEGALLY carrying a weapon, I could care less about the company policy of the business i am in..........until I am asked to leave, at which time I will.

It's Complicated
    I would not be breaking agency policy or federal law by carrying a weapon on a train..............

One Night In Bangkok
    http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1248542758975

Firearms in Checked Baggage
    Effective December 15, 2010, Amtrak will accept reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service. Thruway Bus Services will not be included in this service change. The following policies are in effect:

Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted. The passengers must travel on the same train that is transporting the checked firearms and/or ammunition. All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier. Please contact your departure station for more details. All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lb/23 kg. Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared. All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lb/5 kg. The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling. All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lb/23 kg). Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary. At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form. BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage. Passengers failing to meet the above-mentioned requirements for checking firearms will be denied transportation.

Passengers wanting to inquire about or begin the firearms reservation process should use the Contact Us page to select "Checked Firearms Program" as the subject and follow guidance.

I wont get into the rest but a dont see/dont hear clause is effect and most likely cause commotion by the conducter..
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee_1 View Post
    Do yourself a favor bring a stocked cooler full of food and beverages. Didnt know I could. Group next to us pretty much tailgated the whole time. We were stuck paying for food and beers from the trains food cart.
    That is AWESOME to know!

Forum Member

Lets try this again.............one poster who is an Amtrak cop said there is no problem.

Another poster called and said AMTRAK told him to show your creds and there will be no problem.

Besides.............Much like the store that has a "No Weapons' sign on the door............that isn't a law, it is a business policy.

In other words if i am LEGALLY carrying a weapon, I could care less about the company policy of the business i am in..........until I am asked to leave, at which time I will.
    That varies from state to state. Violating a company policy if that policy is to prohibit firearms in some states makes you guilty of trespass, whether asked to leave or not.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by willbird View Post
    That varies from state to state. Violating a company policy if that policy is to prohibit firearms in some states makes you guilty of trespass, whether asked to leave or not.

Bill

We have argued this before..............the VAST majority of the states that allow CCW make it only a charge if you have been asked to leave first..............Yours doesn't.

/but then we are talking on THIS post about LEO's and LEOSA...which is a whole different subject of which you have NO standing

Forum Member

Amtrak being more than half owned by the United States, Congress has provided that federal rules regarding such matters as trespass will apply on Amtrak trains -- see 28 U.S.C. ยง1349.

Forum Member

We have argued this before..............the VAST majority of the states that allow CCW make it only a charge if you have been asked to leave first..............Yours doesn't.

/but then we are talking on THIS post about LEO's and LEOSA...which is a whole different subject of which you have NO standing
    I have PLENTY of standing when it comes to LEO's carrying under LEOSA in OHIO where the property owner has prohibited it. Being an Ohioan and understanding the laws of may state gives me that standing.

LEOSA does not override:

State laws permitting private property owners from limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons on their property (such as public bars, private clubs, and places such as amusement parks)

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)