NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Humanity has Failed - WTF is wrong with people?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HEDP
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2008

Humanity has Failed - WTF is wrong with people?

Report: Shoppers unfazed as man dies at Target

By NBC News and msnbc.com staff

Family and friends were stunned by the loss of a West Virginia man who died while shopping on Black Friday as fellow bargain hunters reportedly walked around — and even over — the man’s body.

Family members told WSAZ-TV that 61-year-old Walter Vance of Logan County, W. Va., had become ill and collapsed while shopping for Christmas decorations inside Target in South Charleston. He later died after being taken to the hospital, family said.

Witnesses told the NBC News affiliate in Charleston, W. Wa., that shoppers walked around and even over Vance’s body.

"Where is the good Samaritan side of people?” Vance’s co-worker and friend Sue Compton told WSAZ. “How could you not notice someone was in trouble? I just don't understand if people didn't help what their reason was, other than greed because of a sale."

Vance had joined in the crowded frenzy of deal seekers at Target shortly after midnight on Friday. He had been searching for holiday odds and ends to complete his display at his newly remodeled workplace at Aracoma Drug Company store in Chapman, co-worker Annette Fortune told msnbc.com on Saturday.

“He was so excited about Christmas this year, he wanted everyone to enjoy the holiday he loved so much,” Fortune said.

Vance had been working at the Aracoma Drug Company store since he was 16 and later became its co-owner in the 1970s.

Friends say Vance had been suffering from heart problems for years and had open heart surgery in 2000, but his death came as a shock.

An E.R. nurse who also happened to be shopping at the store tried to administer CPR. She and an off-duty paramedic tried to help Vance while he was on the floor.

“The world lost a wonderful angel,” co-worker Beth Wright told msnbc.com, adding: “We lost our best friend and our best boss.”

Efforts by WSAZ and msnbc.com to reach Target for a statement was unsuccessful.

• bigcop97
    You are next...
    • Feb 2005

People loose sight of what is important, perspective and situation ( a stupid sale) rule the day. Its not an excuse, just the truth about how people behave.

"An E.R. nurse who also happened to be shopping at the store tried to administer CPR. She and an off-duty paramedic tried to help Vance while he was on the floor."

The nurse, the paramedic, and other people like you and me understand a fellow person in need trumps most any other priority. Believe me, if you judge humanity by the observations of black friday shoppers when the doors have opened... I can see how bleak it seems.
    Retired 02/01/13

Comment

• CritterAssassin
      Banned
      • Sep 2011

In Oakland they would have robbed him.

Comment

• Sgt. Slaughter
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2001

That's not all humanity - just our culture.

Amazing how Sgt. Slaughter's being 'old school' has turned him into a member of the "new counter-culture".
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

• bigcop97
          You are next...
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter
          That's not all humanity - just our culture.

Amazing how Sgt. Slaughter's being 'old school' has turned him into a member of the "new counter-culture".
          Ahhhhh.... check out the big heart on Sgt. Slaughter... you big softie!

Tee hee hee!
          Retired 02/01/13

Comment

• Chaplain Keppy
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2003

If I were superstitious, I would be afraid those gifts are now accursed by such acts of callous disregard.

Those who walked by should be embarassed by their behavior. (Thank you, Captain Obvious!)
            We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
            but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

• mississippijuvi
              Forum Member
              • Feb 2007

but the really really sad part is...they wont be embarassed...they probably wont even as much give the man a second thought as the spend the holidays with their loved ones.

I worked as a retail loss prevention guy part time for a little while and it is unreal the stuff people do for material possessions that just end up thrown in the back of a closet.
              Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much

Comment

• SgtCHP
                Retired Sergeant - CHP
                • Nov 2006

Unfortunately we are now in the culture of the "ME" generation. People look at something and the first thing they think of is "How will this help me?" Next, they will not get involved if it negatively affects ME, is a detriment to MY life or actions, does not offer ME something viable in return, etc. Everything is predicated on the benefit to ME. That is reflective of a society of spoiled, one-ups-manship, leave me alone children who have been spoiled so they would not have to grow up with untended needs, unfulfilled wants, no unwanted issues, etc. We, the parents, have created these monsters without realizing what we were doing. A feeling of entitlement overwhelms today's youth and when they cannot get what they want, they take! We have a lot to atone for. I only pray that my Maker will forgive my errant ways when the time comes to surrender.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

• 99 Fenix
                  bird of prey
                  • Mar 2007

lamb of god's reclamation comes to mind...
                  dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

• Dingbat
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SgtCHP
                    Unfortunately we are now in the culture of the "ME" generation. People look at something and the first thing they think of is "How will this help me?" Next, they will not get involved if it negatively affects ME, is a detriment to MY life or actions, does not offer ME something viable in return, etc. Everything is predicated on the benefit to ME. That is reflective of a society of spoiled, one-ups-manship, leave me alone children who have been spoiled so they would not have to grow up with untended needs, unfulfilled wants, no unwanted issues, etc. We, the parents, have created these monsters without realizing what we were doing. A feeling of entitlement overwhelms today's youth and when they cannot get what they want, they take! We have a lot to atone for. I only pray that my Maker will forgive my errant ways when the time comes to surrender.
                    Im curious to what age group you are refering to when you say the "me" generation.

The reason alot of people are about the ME is because noone else is watching out for them except themselves.

Of course people look at how it will help them. Since everything has consequences of some sort you have to make sure you dont screw yourself in the process of how something will affect you.
                    Ever heard the saying, No good deed goes unpunished? Its true more often then not.

Why would you get involved if something will negatively affect you or be a determent to your life? Are you a masochist looking for a way to torment yourself and make your life worse?

Hell you feel you are exempt to this. How about you give all your paychecks to me? You dont care if it is a determent to yourself or will be bad for your life.

I dont know who you think is growing up with a silver spoon in their mouths but i dont know of anyone like that. Sure some people may have a little more help then others but just because things come easyer to people now days, mostly due to technology and science. I dont see that as a give me now or im going to take it because i deserve it frame of mind. Attending to needs and wants is alot easyer.

Sure my generation doesnt have to walk up hill both ways in the freezing cold wearing our only pair of shoes like your generation did.

Instead we get to be the ones that drive up the hill.

By your same argument the age group that is older then you are the give me i deserve it generation. I have personally heard all of these from said generation.

1.Im 65 years old i deserve to retire.
                    2.Im old i should get a discount
                    3.You should respect me because im your elder.
                    4.I fought in "Insert war here" and i deserve to be a *** because i did this for your "meaning me" freedom.
                    5. Your generation should take care of me because im old.

My response.
                    1. Must be nice because MY generation wont get to because MY generation is paying for you to retire.
                    2. Age doesnt mean that you should get a discount.
                    3. Your older not smarter, if you were you wouldnt be asking me about stuff you should already know.
                    4. I wasnt born then and MY generation is fighting for your freedom now.
                    5. You should take care of yourself because you are an adult. Noone is taking care of me since im a adult.
                    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

• carnes164
                      Forum Member
                      • Jun 2011

Part of the problem

You Dingbat are part of the problem. What have you done in your life to benefit others? People on this web site have risked life and limb to make sure people like you can sit safely behind your computer keyboard. If you see another human being in need of assistance you should respond.

Comment

• Redseal
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2009

Dingbat,
                        Would you have stopped to help the gentleman?
                        Be courteous, Be professional, Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

Comment

• eyesopen
                          Forum Member
                          • Sep 2010

Unfortunately many states Good Samaritan laws only give immunity to health care practitioners, law enforcement officer, and people with training - the average Joe in those states have no immunity from liability when rendering emergency care.

I have and will stop to render help. Last time was a car that was in a ditch with water up to the windows on the side of the Interstate and a lady stuck inside.

.... then again, I carry an umbrella liability policy because I'm not going to lose everything I've worked to provide my family. Its a sad necessity these days for those who don't have immunity.
                          Last edited by eyesopen; 11-26-2011, 09:03 PM.
                          The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Dingbat
                            Forum Member
                            • Sep 2006

[QUOTE=carnes164;2929716]You Dingbat are part of the problem. What have you done in your life to benefit others? People on this web site have risked life and limb to make sure people like you can sit safely behind your computer keyboard. If you see another human being in need of assistance you should

Risked there lives for me? Sorry I can save my own life thank you very much.
                            Id like to know how you think im part of the problem.

seeing as I'm not a medically trained person. The most id done is called 911. But on that same note im not going to be one of those dumbasses out shoping on black friday. I know how to buy stuff online for the same sales price.
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

• EmmaPeel
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

I'm soooooooo looking forward to Dingbat's generation running this country. NOT.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12323 users online. 76 members and 12247 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...