Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Judges.........smh

So I've recently come into contact with the cities new judge. I could not believe my ears when he placed a citizens word over my own. I've been informed by my co-workers that it is quite frequent

When it comes to moving violations like, failure to obey traffic control device/stop signs etc, if the citizen goes to court and says that he did not run said device he automatically dismisses it. A guy came to court for running a stop sign and told the judge he didn't run it. Judge looks at me and ask, did he run the stop sign? I respond yes. The judge looks at both of us and says well I wasn't there so I can't speak for what really happened and you're both convinced that you are in the right so I have no other choice but to dismiss the charge.

I was freaking dumb founded. The story continues the same anytime I get a subpoena for similar traffic charges the judge days the same thing and dismisses the tickets. I don't even know why the send me subpoenas for these traffic citations anymore. We even had a guy come to the court aand wanted to plead guilty to dui and pay his fines in return for keeping his license, the judge look at him and said you need to go and get an attorney and talk this over, and then reset the court date him! Ive come to dread getting any kind of subpoena for traffic court, so the judge can make me look like an idiot.

Anybody have similar experiences with judges?
    "You wish to know the traditions of the Navy, Sir? They are rum, sodomy, and the lash.” Winston Churchill

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson

I see dumb people...
    We have a judge who makes jokes about cops getting assaulted and killed in the line of duty -- she does it in open court from the bench! In her court room, the defense calls the docket, too.

Those two things I've personally seen, but there is a rumor she hosted a drug party with a bunch of defense attorneys. I can't speak to that one.
    MAC

On the 2 side
    Up in my neck of the woods this guy's been making a name for himself.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-04-1...-lenient-judge
    "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac266 View Post
    We have a judge who makes jokes about cops getting assaulted and killed in the line of duty -- she does it in open court from the bench! In her court room, the defense calls the docket, too.

Those two things I've personally seen, but there is a rumor she hosted a drug party with a bunch of defense attorneys. I can't speak to that one.

Wow, I guess it's about quantity, and not quality. This is why I believe judges need to serve term limits, after which they cannot serve as a judge anymore.
    "You wish to know the traditions of the Navy, Sir? They are rum, sodomy, and the lash.” Winston Churchill

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson

It's Complicated
    I guess its a bit different around my neck of the woods.

Our judges are appointed by the Governor after being nominated by an independence commission. Every 6 yrs they have to be "retained' by an yes/no vote during the general election.

In 30 yrs only 4 judges have not been retained. Stupid behavior gets them campaigned against......

I have recently been hanging around judges and other lawyers.......................and while I have never been an attorney basher.................I am getting a lot more respect for the profession than I used to have.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

One of the judges we have to deal with used to give the verdict of "guilty" after hearing the testimony of only the officers, failing to hear the defendant's side before rendering the verdict. Even after the defendant would give his side, it was always "guilty." He was new at that time but now, he renders many more not guilty verdicts than not due to wanting to stay in power. We now write our tickets for another court because of this.

Tmg
    Forum Member

Where i used to work we had a Judge like that.

He once dismissed this one ticket. It was a failed to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle. The judge said that the law is more of a courtesy. Everyone in the courtroom had a WTF look on their faces when he dismissed the ticket for that reason.

He also one time gave a murder suspect a $1500.00 bail. Yes that's right, one thousand five hundred dollars for murder. The suspect was friend of the judge.

IMO i believed he was racist as well.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member
    In my county, the misdemeanor court is called the general sessions court. The current judge used to be my partner when he was in LE, before getting his law degree.

Lucky us!!!!
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    Here is mine-
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tblproducts/...1&_from=&_ipg=

I ♥ my GLOCK
    We have a judge that is sometimes so drunk on the bench, that he falls off of it...several times. Or the suspect will ask me what the judge said, because he is slurring his words so bad. It's almost embarrassing to arraign a suspect in his court.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Forum Member
    Marauder....What do you care if the judge wants to give a citizen a break? You upheld your oath. You saw a traffic violation, issued the summons and testified forthrightly. What the judge does is on his conscience. Go home, relax and enjoy your family.

Forum Member
    We have a judge that let an adult murder suspect go home free without bail and to stay with his parents until his court date. WTF. Well a juvenile judge learned about it and revoked his probation when he plead guilty as a juvenile on a different charge in his court room. This is the same judge that allegedly told a Defendant that he was really pulled over for driving while black when he was found not guilty of PWID.

This judge went on to tell the news that the bond system is unconstitutional.

Forum Member

We had a judge who asked the audience in his court who was there for being cited for not wearing a seat belt. After many raised their hands, he told them that their cases were all dismissed because he didn't care for that law. Also, one of the first times I met him, I was getting a magistrate's warnings/bond set from him for someone I had arrested. After he signed the warrant, set bond, and gave the bad guy his warnings, he told me to not write tickets and/or to arrest anyone in his area. He was trying to tell me nicely, in front of the bad guy, that he didn't want his constituents to think he was too strict.

Infiltration Unit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    Marauder....What do you care if the judge wants to give a citizen a break? You upheld your oath. You saw a traffic violation, issued the summons and testified forthrightly. What the judge does is on his conscience. Go home, relax and enjoy your family.
    ^^ THIS... I always look at it this way: I get paid to show up to court. The defendant does not, and often has to take time off of work to be at court. It's a major hassle for them. So even when they "win" by being found not guilty, I win more, because I was getting paid for the time they were stopped on the roadside and then I get paid again when they come to court. In a DUI case or some other case where they pay a lawyer, my "winning" goes up exponentially, because the ratio of what they lose compared to what I am getting paid just increases that much more. Even if they beat the charge, they still lose because they spent the night in jail, had their car towed, had their mugshot in the paper, then have to pay an attorney and show up to court on a work day.

I once had a guy I wrote for speeding and the court date fell on his birthday. I knew the judge would dismiss the charge because of that, and he had an excuse that the judge would buy anyway. So he pleads not guilty in night court. The judge says "Sit back down and we'll hear your case after I take all the guilty pleas", which took about an hour and a half. So now it's his turn to plead the case, he stands up and I tell the judge I want to NP it. He wasted an hour and a half of the evening of his birthday and didn't get the satisfaction of having the judge say "Not guilty" and "beating" me. And I got an hour and a half of overtime. You just have to take the victories where you can find them or make them.
    Last edited by Georgetime; 04-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax circa 1993

Forum Member
    I don't care if anyone pays a fine or if the judge movies them out. My problem is being subpoenas for court and the last 5 times I've been there, which I don't get payed to be at court, and the judge places the citizens word above mine and throws it all out.

I mean really, "I wasn't there so I can't say if it happened or not". Am I supposed to be a liar or something? My deal is stop sending me subpoenas if this is what our goin to do every time.

--Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reils49 View Post
    We have a judge that is sometimes so drunk on the bench, that he falls off of it...several times. Or the suspect will ask me what the judge said, because he is slurring his words so bad. It's almost embarrassing to arraign a suspect in his court.
    That's funny, but also crazy. How do we let these things go on.

--Thomas Jefferson

License and Registration!
    Judges are supposed to rule on the facts at hand, not personal feelings. I too would be upset if I wrote something and a judge said he "didn't believe in that law", and threw out everything. Personal feelings have nothing to do with the case at hand, did the violator break the law is the real answer.

L.S.U. FAN (atic)
    In JPSOs' area in the 80s(he is now gone and dead) there was a judge that was openly hostile to LE,to the point of calling them liars in open court when they were on the stand.A coworker once was involved in a divorce and got this same judge(they heard criminal AND civil cases ),the judge ordered him to pay alimony to his ex(whose family was extremely wealthy)that was $200 a month MORE than what he earned.When he objected to the amount the judge told him he better go out and find another job.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Forum Member
    Marauder, There is a separation of powers between you, as a police officer working for the executive branch of the government, and the judge, who sits as part of the judicial branch of the government. Two completely separate functios. Your real complaint is with your job that forces you to appear in court without pay. That does s*ck.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Have I been in court and judge made a decision I ddin't like, sure. I made sure I did better next time.

Almost 35 years of doing this I know that for whatever reason, I can't win them all.

Sadly, your next step may be to get the violations and/or violator's admission of guilt on video/audio.

BUT...does the court get paid if he dismisses everything? Once the revenue from lack of fines and court cost assessments goes down, the judge just might start seeing things differently.

Is there another court with another judge you can ask for a change of venue, to? What is the prosecuting attorney doing while all this is going on? Unless your town's like mine and we have no attorney present.

And, lastly, maybe I missed it but WHY ARE YOU NOT GETTING PAID TO GO TO COURT?
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Off topic poster
    There are some agencies out there that don't pay overtime for court; rather we "adjust" our worked time. So if I have court this week and it's three hours, I'll go home that amount of time early from my patrol shift. On one hand it's nice being able to get off early but overall it sucks cuz your day is thrown outta whack.

I had a local judge that would nit-pick everything I said until one day civil traffic attorney ****ed him off playing games and I was straight out just the facts. Ever since then, I've had a great rapport with him. He even waves to me when we're both off work in our POVs sitting at a red light.....

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    He even waves to me when we're both off work in our POVs sitting at a red light.....
    he even uses all his fingers?
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Remember though that even judges have a disciplinary chain of command. ASK!
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member

I feel sorry for y'all who don't get paid for court. If we are not on duty, we get an instant 3 hours OT. If we show up and the case is dismissed, we just get our OT slip signed. Out the door we go with an instant 3 hours OT.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ftttu View Post
    I feel sorry for y'all who don't get paid for court. If we are not on duty, we get an instant 3 hours OT. If we show up and the case is dismissed, we just get our OT slip signed. Out the door we go with an instant 3 hours OT.
    Yea its the same here. I can care less if its dismissed as long as I presented them a good case my conscious is clear whether they dismissed it or not. Thats on them. I love it on my days off when they dismiss it. The Defendant will see me outside the court room start boasting about it. I just smile and say "thanks buddy you just got me paid over $100". They get this dumb look on their face while Im walking away.

Forum Member
    We once had a judge who, although not that bad, would accept just about any sob story on failure-to-pay warrant arrests. I served one warrant on which his own clerk had written "This is the 5th warrant for failure to pay on this charge!" in red ink.

The guy would also reduce traffic fines below the amount needed to cover mandatory state assessments. The difference came out of the city's pocket.
    Last edited by Seventy2002; 04-15-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last