Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kimble
  • 1 Post By PhilipCal
  • 1 Post By GoMets6091

Thread: Pulled over after background?

Forum Member

Pulled over after background?

I received my letter of appointment to start the academy in 2 weeks for NYSP. This morning I got pulled over and was issued a ticket for a non-moving violation for "delaying traffic." It is a 0 points non-moving violation. I am freaking out. Do I call this in to my background investigator? Will this affect my spot in the academy? What do I do???

"Retired"
    i'd take care of the ticket as soon as you can.

Forum Member

I just called my background investigator because I didn't know what else to do. He just told me to pay it and make sure I hold onto the paperwork. But he didn't make it seem like it needed to be reported to anyone or anything. Does this mean I'm alright? I don't want this to come up and look like I didn't report it. I'm also so worried that I could have my spot in the academy revoked.

Forum Member

I seriously doubt this will keep you from entering the academy...you told your BI...he knows and doesn't think it's a big deal...you're sweating this to much.

Forum Member
    OP, I'm curious. What exactly was it you were doing to get pulled over?

RIP Seann1
    Color me curious as well.. haha

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by lehopeful111 View Post
    Does this mean I'm alright? I don't want this to come up and look like I didn't report it. I'm also so worried that I could have my spot in the academy revoked.
    None of us are mindreaders, only someone from that agency can comment on that with any certainty. What's done is done and you'll have to live with whatever the consequences are. However, if you had not told your BI and they found out by another means it could have played out worse for you employment prospects.

You screwed up on getting cited, but you did the right thing by fessing up to it with your BI.
    Litz likes this.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    I seriously doubt this will keep you from entering the academy...you told your BI...he knows and doesn't think it's a big deal...you're sweating this to much.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by ProtectandServe View Post
    OP, I'm curious. What exactly was it you were doing to get pulled over?
    Agree
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Do this. Take care of the citation promptly. Follow the advice of your Background Investigator. Report promptly at the date/time your Academy class begins. Now, settle down. Best of luck at the Academy.
    Litz likes this.

Forum Member

I feel sorry for you when you report to the first day of your academy. When I went to the academy a guy came in who was cited 2 weeks prior man oh man I still laugh about all the flak they gave him. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Pay the ticket and don't fret it! If you spoke to your BI and you were informed what to do, do it! You received the ticket AFTER your acceptance so how can you possibly think that it might be considered concealing something from your background. Just pay it and move on. Good luck in the academy!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

It is a minor traffic violation, they happen. Pretty much everyone on here, while attempting to obey all traffic laws end up violating some by accident quite often. If you got caught doing something stupid like drag racing or the like I'd say differently but this should be no big deal provided you are honest about it.

Tell the BI, and be honest. When I've gone through, they ask you during your first day if you have been ticketed or been pulled over since then. Tell the truth. If was a minor thing that you didn't display poor judgement or the like you'll be fine.

Forum Member

Dont worry about it. You did what you were supposed to except maybe told the cop you start the academy in 2 weeks, probably would not have wrote you.

Forum Member

I got pulled over for going 42 in a 25 the Friday night before the Academy started, in a neighboring jurisdiction to the one I work for (I live in another state and was very unfamiliar with the area at the time, didn't realize the speed limit had dropped from 45 to 25). I (stupidly) didn't tell the officer (who I now know had JUST graduated from the academy himself and was in FTO at the time) that I was about to start the Academy, and got a speeding ticket. I spent the whole weekend freaking out about it, and then the first day of the Academy they kept hammering home about "integrity" and "higher standards" and all that, and I just kept sweating and figured this was gonna be my only day before I got fired. I called the training Sergeant as soon as the day ended and told him, and he said "wasn't Reckless, was it?" I said no, and he asked where it happened, I told him, and he started laughing and said "that place is a freaking speed trap." He told me to pay the ticket, not get any more, and don't worry about it.

Long story short, you should be fine. Obviously I can't speak for every agency/supervisor, but I think most of them realize that these things happen, and as long as you were honest about it, they'll let you off the hook.
    Litz likes this.

Forum Member
    You did the right thing. I know of one case here in Pa. where a PSP Cadet got cited while home for a weekend. She didn't tell anyone... 4 weeks later she got the boot for not disclosing it.