Forum Member

Leupold Mark 4 HAMR

Pricey, but has anyone got to try one out yet?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...4-4x24mm-hamr/

Ask,Tell,Make
    all the time in call of duty
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy8116 View Post
    The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Forum Member
    So there's one "no."

Ask,Tell,Make
    actually it's a yes

not vastly different from the Trijicon ACOG with a mini reticle I have on a few of my rifles. "Feels" much similar with target acquisition going from range to close. Doesn't have as significant quality feel as an ACOG for some reason maybe because I've used Trijicon for years, I have Leupolds on a couple of my rifles including my Barrett and they have all preformed flawlessly. Guess it comes down to personal choice, it's hard to vastly improve on such a simple concept. Price is comparable as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy8116 View Post
    The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Forum Member
    Dot or Delta?

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    I've used one, and briefly considered one for 3 gun, but I have determined that a quality variable power optic is better for pretty much every circumstance other than on a super hard use combat gun. If you want 4x magnification, why not just go with a 1-4x24 from Nightforce, Leupold, Trijicon, etc? Also, the MRD on top of the optic is a total fail in my book, the MRD is just too high to maintain any sort of a cheek weld. The mount that comes with it is also pretty janky.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

victis honor
    Pretty but whats the damage?
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitthegym View Post
    I've used one, and briefly considered one for 3 gun, but I have determined that a quality variable power optic is better for pretty much every circumstance other than on a super hard use combat gun. If you want 4x magnification, why not just go with a 1-4x24 from Nightforce, Leupold, Trijicon, etc? Also, the MRD on top of the optic is a total fail in my book, the MRD is just too high to maintain any sort of a cheek weld. The mount that comes with it is also pretty janky.
    It looked similar to the ACOG/RMR setup. I haven't handled them in person which is why I stopped here first. In reality, I'd like something that could work "in town" and double for out in the open magnification. Max distance would be 300 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by ummone View Post
    Pretty but whats the damage?
    Around $1100.

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    It looked similar to the ACOG/RMR setup. I haven't handled them in person which is why I stopped here first. In reality, I'd like something that could work "in town" and double for out in the open magnification. Max distance would be 300 yards.
    It is very similar to the ACOG/RMR setup, but if I want a RDS as a secondary to a magnified optic, it is going to be running on an offset mount so that I can maintain my cheek weld and have a faster transition from my primary to secondary optic.

For something that could work anywhere from close up - 300 yards, and cost under $1300, the Vortex Razor HD 1-4x24 is an awesome optic: http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Razor-...pe-P44590.aspx .

As is the Nightforce NXS 1-4x24 FC-2: http://www.amazon.com/NightForce-Rif.../dp/B0024OIXVS .

Or the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4x24 (I like the red triangle reticle): http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produc...3.php?pid=TR24

All of these have great glass, generous eye relief, good illumination, and the ability to rapidly engage targets close in, and then quickly switch to 300+yard targets.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Forum Member
    I'll have to check those out. How would they compare with something like an EoTech coupled with a magnifier?

Una Stamus

I have never seen it, but I seriously wonder what the hell Leupold was thinking with that. The standard 4x ACOG has a 42mm objective. Leupold went with a 24mm objective. Goodbye light transmission.

Look into the Leupold Mark6 1-6x CMR-W, if you can hold out a couple more months.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Forum Member

"How would they compare with something like an EoTech coupled with a magnifier?"

An RDS backed by a magnifier is a compromise that allows for versatility and a common position/ cheek weld. They are popular with people anticipating more close-in than ranged work.

A magnifier backed by an RDS requires something to move; the gun in the case of an offset RDS or the head in the case of a raised one. They are popular with people anticipating more ranged work than close-in work. The offset option is the better of the two, though how you set your rifle or carbine up has a lot to do with that.

Variables beginning with true 1X magnification are the best answer, but their cost is beyond the reach of most. For example, the S&B Short Dot - the best of the breed. Variables beginning with 1.1X magnification are more affordable, but many have problems with the extra .1X magnification.

Or something like that. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Erik; 04-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Forum Member
    Makes sense. And yes, the Short Dot is definitely cost prohibitive for a personal purchase.

Forum Member

Edited my previous post. Hopefully it makes more sense.