Midnight sun worshipper

Cheapest place to get 5.56 ammo around Anchorage

I took the plunge and got myself an AR, but now I have to shoot it. Ammo is not cheap, especially considering the rate you can go through it to get proficient with one of these. Anyone have suggestions on where the cheapest bulk ammo is around town?

Also looking for somewhere to shoot other than a range I have to pay to use. Jim Creek is out but I will take ideas on gravel pits or other places that are legal to shoot at.

Thanks
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Forum Member

Hey Fish, that's awesome man! I don't live in AK yet so I can't help you with prices for ammo, but what did you end up going with on your AR? I too just recently took the plunge on an AR. I had wanted one forever, but in 2006, I couldn't swallow $1K price tag, so I had bought a mini 14 in .223. I recently decided to move up in the world and got a DPMS AR with a 20" stainless Bull Barrel. JAKES AR 15 2.jpg

Midnight sun worshipper
    I got a Colt 6920MP. Basically an M-4 with Magpul furniture already on it. No optics yet, just iron sights. Still haven't even shot it yet.

"All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Midnight sun worshipper
    I guess nobody up here buys ammo....

lol
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member
    Time to start a hobby as a reloader.

Forum Member
    Just FYI, ammo prices are on the rise. I was hearing that they're estimating something like a 40% increase? I have already noticed them going up again. Probably partly due to the upcoming election, and maybe the whole 2012 thing hah.

Forum Member

Fish-
    Those are nice rifles from what I hear, you know you can't go wrong with a colt. ProtectandServe is exactly right though, down here in the lower 48, prices on everything are on their way up. That was part of the reason I decided to go ahead and get my AR before things got too bad around here. Already, I couldn't buy my gun again within about $150 of what I paid for it, so I don't have any regrets. Also, a few guys I know down here are trying to buy as many high capacity magazines as they can because they remember the last go around when a 30 round mag was something like $150, IF you could find one...anyway, maybe if I can ever get hired with AST we can tagteam a reloading effort and make some good rounds ourselves...!

Forum Member
    ^^ Good point! Just ordered an extra 6 PMAGs.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishAK View Post

lol
    I don't think the forum members are deliberately ignoring you......

Most of us that are already employed with an agency likely get what ammo we need from the agency and don't buy large amounts, thus we don't have an answer for you on where to get it the cheapest. However, a bunch of us reload hunting ammo and such and there's always a market for quality ammo.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Quote Originally Posted by URIF0 View Post
    I don't think the forum members are deliberately ignoring you......

Most of us that are already employed with an agency likely get what ammo we need from the agency and don't buy large amounts, thus we don't have an answer for you on where to get it the cheapest. However, a bunch of us reload hunting ammo and such and there's always a market for quality ammo.
    Oh, I know. It was good-natured. I figured you guys already working pretty much got the ammo you needed, but I also figured someone might have an idea. After some research, I think my best bet is to order in bulk on-line. I've been tossing around the reloading as a winter hobby idea for a while. Right now it's mostly start-up cost and lack of space to do it that are holding me back.

In regards to costs of everything else, I also need to buy a bunch of extra P-Mags. I only have the 2 that came with the rifle right now, but I'd like a couple dozen loaded and ready in the safe (been watching Doomsday Preppers too much lately.....).
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

jakflak
    Quote Originally Posted by URIF0 View Post
    Most of us that are already employed with an agency likely get what ammo we need from the agency...
    Not me. We are issued duty ammo we aren't allowed to touch. If we fire it there'd better be a use of force report.

They are generous with the shotgun and handgun ammo though. I always have piles of that to practice with, but .223 is too hard to get and expensive for them to pass much out to us.

The last .223 I bought was at Sportsmans Warehouse. They have the cheap Wolf crap that is good for poking holes in paper, but that's all. Buy some decent brand stuff to keep in the gun.

Forum Member

I would have to say no to wolf, especially in your own weapons. The only weapon that will ever see wolf ammo is my Glock. But back on topic, .223 or 5.56 ammo is cheap, actually now-a-days, you can't even use "cheap" and "ammo" in the same sentence anymore
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious,nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from That Guy who stole it from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Forum Member

Wally World (Walmart) has the cheapest handgun and rifle ammo. Some websites are comparible but when you include shipping & hazmat charge, it becomes more expensive. They stock .223.

jakflak
    Come to think of it, Walmart is the place I got my last load of ammo from. Good prices there.

Forum Member

For what it's worth, and it may not be worth much, but I try to buy all of my practice rounds at gun shows, the only things I look for is brass cases and I try to avoid FMJ if possible. Lots of people like FMJ and that's fine, but if I'm going to have rounds to shoot, I like to use SP or HP for whatever rabbits/coyotes I happen to come across. I always use premium factory rounds to keep in the rifle for home use...

Midnight sun worshipper
    That brings up a couple of other questions, actually. I was thinking about taking it on my spring rabbit hunt. What IS a good hunting round? And what's the best civilian defensive round?
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

jakflak
    .223 is great for bunnies because it goes cleanly through and does little damage to the hide. However, a .22 or a high power pellet gun works too. My son got 2 bunnies in our yard with just a pellet gun.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Yeah, back in the day before the Anchorage hillside was wall to wall houses, we used to take pellet guns out for them. I used to snare in the woods out our back door, too. And it was legal then. I don't think it is anymore. I basically spent every free minute in the woods as a kid, back before video games and computers ruined children....
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

One man Wolfpack
    Yeah, back in the day before the Anchorage hillside was wall to wall houses, we used to take pellet guns out for them. I used to snare in the woods out our back door, too. And it was legal then. I don't think it is anymore. I basically spent every free minute in the woods as a kid, back before video games and computers ruined children....
    If it's any consolation, I have noticed there are hunting and fishing video games now.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
    If it's any consolation, I have noticed there are hunting and fishing video games now.

M-11
    Now I just need to release a billion skeeters in my living room and the experience is complete......

When you're out shopping for ammo, check out Sports Autority. Surprisingly, they had some fairly cheap (relative to other local stores) common caliber ammo. It was all Winchester white box, but it's good practice ammo.

Forum Member

It depends on what your goals are when shooting bunnies, when I say bunnies, I am referring to jack rabbits so basically, we are basically trying to feed the birds. We don't do anything with them, I know the birds appreciate it cause whenever we leave and come back, there are always some big hawks or eagles munching on the rabbit. Also, coyotes are VERY durable animals, so a soft point or hollow point should be used on those to prevent them from getting away wounded, an FMJ round would more than likely enter and exit without transferring nearly enough energy to stop the dog, I hate to leave anything wounded no matter how vial I think they are. As far as brand, I'm not nearly as picky as some, but its just important to consider that the better the bullets you shoot, the more accuracy you can expect.

Forum Member

lol
    True that. My employer buys the 5.56 ammo.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    True that. My employer buys the 5.56 ammo.
    Just another reason someone needs to hurry up and hire me....
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

Just another reason someone needs to hurry up and hire me....
    and me too!