Forum Member

Injured before Academy

I was running to prepare for my academy in NJ for SLEO II and I believe I injured my ankle pretty bad (possible stress fracture from past experiences). I've already passed everything needed, even the physiological/medical examination, but a week later now it hurts to walk, and being a security officer on patrol I walk a lot. The academy is April 30, and I'm hoping I can heal well enough for the academy.

My question is whether or not they will reject me if I'm not up to par by then, or if I re-injure while in the academy, what would happen to me?

Regards,

bag.0032

Forum Member

When I was in the academy if you were injured and couldn't do pt you were forced to resign. Now I know for some departments that run there own academy they will cycle the injured recruit/cadet, whatever you want to call them where you are, in the next class offered. You should just call your department or academy and inform them of the situation.

Forum Member

Your question is best answered by the Academy/Agency you've applied to. The opinion of yours or the agency's physician is also very likely to play a major role here. I hope things work out for you.

Haterade Distributor
    Get with your doc to see if you can perform by then. If not, your department may send you to a later academy in order to heal fully and that may be your best option.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Quote Originally Posted by JasperST View Post
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Forum Member
    I would go to a doctor on your own and see what they say and get their opinion. It might not be as serious as you think.
    "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Forum Member

In mine, they would allow to to be on light duty if you got injured, but you had to complete at least 70% of all PT sessions. I had a torn calf muscle going in and just pushed through it. I wasn't the fastest guy in the class, but I didn't ever quit a run and passed the POST requirements.

I would get it checked out, do the whole RICE thing, and rest it as much as possible before the academy.