Thread: Ert / swat

Forum Member

Ert / swat

Hello,

I know every agency calls their swat team something different, but I was curious on when your placed on the team if you get to choose your role. I have always wanted to operate a long range rifle, and didn't know how they choose who would be a sniper on a team. Would it be different for every call or the same person every time?

Thanks for any insight!

One man Wolfpack
    Every team is different. Every team trains differently. Every team decided assignments differently.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
    Every team is different. Every team trains differently. Every team decided assignments differently.

M-11
    Yep
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

You can request but you have to be selected. Those fancy rifles are too expensive to buy for everyone. I initially wanted to be a sniper but once I started breaching, I lost interest in crawling around in the woods and getting bit by red bugs. I did go buy a sniper rifle to play with and can put three in a dime at 200 but I usually do it in Bermuda shorts.
    If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Salty Dog

I could never be a sniper. I don't have the patience to sit still for that long.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member

With my Agency, it's "Trooper Tactical Team". You don't select them, they select you, usually after about three to five years of service. The Team Commander(s) determine the role and positions within the team.

Forum Member
    All above are correct.
    Personally, lugging around a heavy-barrel Remington 700 is a high-drag nuisance.
    I am usually shield-man or third-in, and would not trade my team position for sniper role. It just is not my thing.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    Here is mine-
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tblproducts/...1&_from=&_ipg=

Forum Member
    Our snipers are calm, cool and collectively! Our TL assigns that position and there is a lot of behind the scenes documentation. They have to document every round that comes out of that rifle. They can have that job, I enjoy being on the entry team too much!
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Forum Member
    LOL- My post ^^ is sort of ironic if you look at my avatar!!!!!!!
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    Here is mine-
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/tblproducts/...1&_from=&_ipg=

One man Wolfpack
    I was an EST guy in my younger days s a SP. We all avoided the "Marksman" assignment if we could because laying on the tar/gravel roof with a heavy wool blanket for a pad SUCKED. I'd rather be the shield if it's a sunny day over 80F

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

As long as you call yourself an "operator" its all good.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffIL View Post
    As long as you call yourself an "operator" its all good.
    There you go! Haha
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

An Obvious problem
    Hi I'm Joe Bichen and I'm newly assigned to SWAT. I just wanted to let you all know that I picked myself for this assignment and I plan on being the scout, starting now.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Salty Dog

OP, you don't "operate" a rifle, you shoot it. Quit trying to be tacticool.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member

Thanks for all the insight everyone. Sorry for the whole "operate vs shoot" thing. I wasn't trying to be someone I am not. Again, you guys are always so helpful and it is much appreciated. I find out in roughly 2-4 weeks if I get an offer. It has been a long road and I feel this process has went the best because of past experiences and everything I have learned on here.

Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Put SWAT out of your mind unitl you are out of FTO and driving a beat car. Physically condition yourself, but if hired, you need to focus on being the best patrolman possible. That gets you noticed in many cases. Also, improve you skills on your own dime and time if you need to.