Thread: Pocket/ bug gun

Forum Member

Question Pocket/ bug gun

Those of you who carry a pocket or bug gun what do you carry and do you recommend it? I had a DB380 and did not have much luck with it im leaning toward Kahr 380 or Sig 238 but am open to suggestions. Thanks for your input

Forum Member

Forum Member

+1 on the snub nose revolver. If I could I would definitely be carry a snub nose most likely a colt detective special if I could find one.

Forum Member

My pocket pistol is a .38 S&W 442 airweight.

Ret.copr
    S & W five shot Titanium .38 Special

Forum Member
    Any quality lightweight .38 revolver with an approx. 2" barrel. I carry a Taurus CIA and it shoots great.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from .380's. Any air weight model will serve you well. I prefer the 637 but I like to shoot it single action.
    In Valor there is hope

Tmg
    Forum Member

I have the Ruger LCP 380 and i really like it. It has never jammed on me. I have put about a thousand rounds through it.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Forum Member

There is good reason that "pocket gun" equals Smith and Wesson J-frames in so many circles. Their models 642 and 442 in particular, but any of them with concealed, shrouded or bobbed hammer will do.

Forum Member

As most have said, get an airweight .38 revolver. Heck, a .357 would be fine. There is nothing wrong with the .380s and that's coming from someone who LOVES my Bodyguard .380, but I won't use it as a BUG. I even had carried my G27 as a BUG in the past, but would not advise it.

The ONE and ONLY reason I say that and advise on getting a revolver is simple. A good chance if you end up using it, you will be up close and personal. You may pull it because your primary just malfunctions, but if I'm not mistaken, a majority of the time BUGs are used, is due to someone taking their primary or they are either unable to get to it, or trying to retain it. This means, if it comes to having to using it, chances are you and the bad guy will be on top of each other and if you use it, it very well may be, stick the BUG into the bad guy's belly and start pulling that trigger. If it gets to that point, a Semi-auto may only get one shot off and then jam when you have the gun pressed against the bad guy's body. The revolver will give you 5 or 6 good shots. You better believe if I'm in that situation, I'm pulling that trigger until it empties and the threat has STOPPED.

You also have to think of function. Ankle, vest, cargo pocket, pants pocket, etc... No matter where you stick that gun, more people than not, do not clean their gun consistently. You can be a little less worried sticking a revolver on your uniform somewhere, where it may collect a lot of dust, dirt, etc. than you can with a semi-auto. When the time comes you need it, 99.9% chance it WILL fire. You put one of these cheaper .380's or other guns in the same situation.. You may start to have reliability problems. And if it comes to you needing to use your BUG, the crap has definitely hit the fan a few times and that is NOT the time you want to start having problems.

This is all just my opinion and how I see fit based on my limited training and copious amounts of research. It is a fairly slim chance you will use your issued firearm. It is an even slimmer chance you will use that backup gun. When you do need it, you want to make sure it will work as well as it possibly can and when you pull that trigger, it will go bang over and over and over.
    Last edited by MiGuy; 04-09-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Grammar

Forum Member

Smith & Wesson 360PD 11oz unloaded.
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Equal Height Equal Light

Anecdotal, but a guy on my squad recently had an S&W J-frame explode in his hand after about 100 rounds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    Anecdotal, but a guy on my squad recently had an S&W J-frame explode in his hand after about 100 rounds.
    Interesting. Well, that's why I never say anything is certain. There are ALWAYS exceptions to anything. Well, I guess I should say almost anything, before someone shows me an exception to that. But, I think it's safe to say, something like that or any malfunction happening in a revolver, is HIGHLY rare, especially compared to a malfunction in a semi-auto. Especially when you compare it to the situations it will be in as a BUG (where it's stored on the body, the dirt and grime that will be introduced to it due to being in deep concealment, etc).

Hope your partner was alright from the exploding gun.

Forum Member
    It'd be interesting to hear more info on that. He could've been shooting +p ammo in a model not rated for it.

Che
    Forum Member

Or a triple charge in a handload.

Back in the days when 98% of LEOs had revolvers some people reloaded hefty charges of powder in .38 Special cases so they can tell management that they are not carrying magnums (but they wish they did)

Che
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    I prefer the 637 but I like to shoot it single action.
    I carry the S&W 637. Cops shoot revolvers double action. If you practice single action in a real shooting you will miss especially at point blank range.

St. Cloud Proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    I carry the S&W 637. Cops shoot revolvers double action. If you practice single action in a real shooting you will miss especially at point blank range.
    Cops shoot double action? Except for everyone that carries a 1911... At point blank if i ever need my s&w it will more than likely be a contact shot and won't matter if its double or single.
    In Valor there is hope

Che
    Forum Member

In the revolver days we had a guy, B.L., who shot double action at 15 yards and single action at 25 yards. Needless to say in the moment to be a hero he never engage because the bad guy was at 18 to 20 yards away. He brought up his weapon and was confused, double or single action. Then he did it again. HE WAS LUCKY.

Train like your life depends on it.

So do you know how and where to make a "contact shot" on a bad guy? Hint: The head is a bad choice.