Forum Member

Cargo Pocket Trauma Kit

What would ya'll recommend for some items to keep in my cargo pocket for first aid to help a fallen officer or to help myself if help isn't coming fast enough? I'm talking about the bare essentials, not a larger kit for a go-bag. Something to have on me for every single call.

Forum Member
    Tampon (or two) for bullet wounds , maybe an Israeli bandage and an abdominal dressing pad (absorbs lots of blood from larger wounds) stored in a ziplock bag which can double as an occlusive barrier in case of a sucking chest wound.

FYI - the military trains people to use the wounded person's kit to treat them, never your own. Your kit is for you, their kit is for them.

Forum Member

Really, tampons for bullet wounds? That never crossed my mind, but I guess it make sense. What about any of the quickclot products? Are they worthwhile.

It was brought up at a meeting that the dept. should supply and adopt a policy of all officers carrying some sort of kit in a designated pocket, but I'm trying to come up with something of my own so that I can feel a little more prepared.

Forum Member

A lot of companies are making pocket trauma kids that come with everything you need including a tourniquet I have one from North American Rescue and they come with our without quick-clot and they range anywhere from 50-100 bucks money well spent in my opinion.

Forum Member

Make your own kit for cheaper:

1. Commercial Tourniquet (I recommend either the CAT or SOFFT-W)
    2. Combat Gauze (get trained on wound packing!)
    3. Flat H-bandage
    4. Halo chest seal
    5. vacuum pack it all together.

RIP Seann1
    Quote Originally Posted by careerchange#2 View Post
    Make your own kit for cheaper:

1. Commercial Tourniquet (I recommend either the CAT or SOFFT-W)
    2. Combat Gauze (get trained on wound packing!)
    3. Flat H-bandage
    4. Halo chest seal
    5. vacuum pack it all together.
    +1

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

St. Cloud Proud!
    in my pocket i carry:

1 - swat T tourniquet $10 - arterial GSW's
    http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/ca...ource=nextopia

1 - Quikclot combat gauze vacuum sealed - $20 (when i bought it) - non arterial GSW's
    http://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Comba...3908984&sr=8-1

1 - Nasal airway - $3 - for blocked airways
    http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/ca...ource=nextopia

all in a large gallon size ziploc bag, can be used as chest seal. If in a cargo pocket i would also carry some duct tape to secure the chest seal. i dont have a cargo pocket so i'm limited a bit.

in my go bag and on my plate carrier i carry a lot more, but these are the basic items you need that can treat any type of gsw. some additional items include; israeli bandages, med shears, z pack gauze, halo chest seals as mentioned above and more quikclot. I prefer the quikclot gauze as it is much easier to use and pack wounds with. I would also look into needle decompression training as that is one of the harder skills to learn. a good place to order med supplies from is chinook-med.com and amazon. no need to spend a lot of money of tourniquets the swat t works great and is a third of the price.
    Last edited by SCSU74; 04-08-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    In Valor there is hope

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adeutch View Post
    Really, tampons for bullet wounds? That never crossed my mind, but I guess it make sense. What about any of the quickclot products? Are they worthwhile.
    They're a bit "old school". Maybe save them for your doomsday kit. Use the Combat Gauze that doesn't generate heat.

It was brought up at a meeting that the dept. should supply and adopt a policy of all officers carrying some sort of kit in a designated pocket, but I'm trying to come up with something of my own so that I can feel a little more prepared.
    Whatever you get, make sure everything is capable of one-handed application. You may need to keep your weapon in one hand and do First Aid with the other; or, one hand/arm may just be incapacitated due to a GSW or stabbing/slashing, etc.