Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Would you still be a LEO if..

You knew you would be killed in the line of duty at some point in your career?

Obviously, there is no way to know. But is this a defining question behind those who knew they were meant for this?

Thanks

Uh...no....and I expect this thread to get awesome quickly.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Off topic poster
    Everyone has to leave this earth at sometime, it ain't gonna change my feelings. I'd rather go out working than smothered by a fat chick.

Senior Veteran

I wouldn't go into any profession if I knew it would result in my death. No chance.
    Retired

It's Complicated
    I don't believe any sane person would willingly enter a profession fully well knowing it will cause their death. The survival instinct is just too strong.

That is not saying that one will not enter a SITUATION that has a high probability of being fatal.

Like mookster stated --------we are all going to end up on a slab at some point............
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Yeah, if I knew 100% that I would be killed in the line of duty at some point then I would not still be a LEO. This is totally different then a spontaneous situation where you choose to sacrifice yourself to save someone else or something. In this case, you're effectively planning your own demise in advance. I couldn't in good faith put my family through that.

Off topic poster
    I had someone attempt to kill me last year and I was able to stop the threat. It was a shocking experience all around and I seriously gave serious thought to back up career plans that I had. I came to the determination that it's a real possibility I could die in this line of work but I am given the tools, training and ability to do everything I can to prevent that from happening. I am in this career for the long haul.

Again, everyone has to die at some point and your family will have to be prepared for it just the same if you are a line of duty death or are bitten by a rabid squirrel. That's just my $0.02 on the matter.

Forum Member

Thanks for sharing mookster. Do you mind sharing what happened?

Do some not realize how real the danger is until something happens?

How often is someone seriously injured in your department?

Forum Member
    I Love the part about the fat chick lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Everyone has to leave this earth at sometime, it ain't gonna change my feelings. I'd rather go out working than smothered by a fat chick.
    So who took my doggy treats????

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    I wouldn't go into any profession if I knew it would result in my death. No chance.
    Well I am glad your not an LEO if you are then Stop and turn your equip. in please.

One man Wolfpack
    He's a retired cop Dummy.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdummy View Post
    Well I am glad your not an LEO if you are then Stop and turn your equip. in please.
    Would you go to work if you knew there was a 100% certainty that you would die if you did?

I wouldn't.

There's a difference between "definitely going to die" and "If I'm good and/or lucky enough I'll make it."

Forum Member
    Look I work in a Fed Prison now, I am / was 11C Infantryman, and even work overseas with Dyncorp. Everyday while at Dyncorp Int in the middle east our team leader would tell us we are going to die today, sometimes co-workers would. Did it scare me, hell yes but that was the life / money I chose and I still did the job until the contract ended. Why did I leave, pockets were full and wifey said it was time to come home...So yes I would and I did to support my family besides they get paid more if I died on the job than off .

Forum Member

Look I work in a Fed Prison now, I am / was 11C Infantryman, and even work overseas with Dyncorp. Everyday while at Dyncorp Int in the middle east our team leader would tell us we are going to die today, sometimes co-workers would. Did it scare me, hell yes but that was the life / money I chose and I still did the job until the contract ended. Why did I leave, pockets were full and wifey said it was time to come home...So yes I would and I did to support my family besides they get paid more if I died on the job than off .
    No, you didn't. You worked in a job where there was a probability that you might die. If it was 100% certain that you were going to die overseas, then you wouldn't be alive right now...hence 100% certainty. Only other explanation is that you're a zombie, which I suppose is a possibility based on some movies and TV shows I've watched.
    Last edited by mayburymh; 04-06-2012 at 02:02 AM.

Forum Member

No one gets to choose the time of their own death. The only thing we can choose is to face it standing up.

This is the greatest job in the world, and nothing will make me stop doing it as long as i am physically able to.

Kevin

Forum Member
    Yes, this is the greatest job in the world, and I love getting to go to work every day (well....most days.) However, if you told me that I would die on duty with 100% certainty I would turn my gear in tomorrow. That would mean that I would die before I turn 55 and I plan on seeing my kids graduate, get married and have babies.
    Not me...Not my partner...Not on this shift...NOT TODAY!!!

Forum Member

No because there would be no hope.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    I had someone attempt to kill me last year and I was able to stop the threat. It was a shocking experience all around and I seriously gave serious thought to back up career plans that I had. I came to the determination that it's a real possibility I could die in this line of work but I am given the tools, training and ability to do everything I can to prevent that from happening. I am in this career for the long haul.

Again, everyone has to die at some point and your family will have to be prepared for it just the same if you are a line of duty death or are bitten by a rabid squirrel. That's just my $0.02 on the matter.
    I for one, am glad you didn't get smoked.

My only question is: did this event change how often you train, or on what you concentrate on in terms of your choices of things to train in?

forum member
    Everyone dies ......one day.................there are non LE jobs that are extremely hazardous. You don't get to pick your day....your day picks you.

In no way..does this define who is meant for this. You train and learn each day...do your best and if it happens it happens.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Off topic poster
    Quote Originally Posted by albydere4u View Post
    Thanks for sharing mookster. Do you mind sharing what happened?

Do some not realize how real the danger is until something happens?

How often is someone seriously injured in your department?
    Long and short of my critical is it was a random home invasion, no connection at all between the suspect and victims. I arrived on scene while things were in full swing; was attacked by the suspect and it ended in an OIS. I walked away and the suspect did not. I had prepared myself and trained for something like that and knew it was a possibility in the back of my mind but for it to actually happen was something different entirely. Definitely gave me a different outlook on the frailty of human life.

It's a cliche statement but so very true, but you don't rise to the occasion. You fall to the level of your training. I'm going home at end of shift and I've trained that way. Any day my number could come up but again, so could everyone else's. I enjoy every day I have for I have learned how fast it can be your last. And knowing that I have a good chance of going out LODD doesn't stop me from doing this job. It's something you have to face and accept. Denying that it can or can't happen is not healthy. For sure I have serious fears that could cripple other people but recognizing and accepting them is how I cope and overcome them.

For 11b101abn: It hasn't changed my frequency of training cuz I was fairly frequent beforehand. My ordeal went down while I was running backwards in a low light situation, only lighting was the headlights of my patrol car, so I practice move and shoot drills. Things are much more realistic for me now though and I realize how important it is to put 100% into any type of training because what you put into it is what you get out of it.

Forum Member
    When and where were you with DynCorp when they took casualties? I worked with them from '03-'05 an still have several buddies working with them and other contractors.

Forum Member

my relationships and life outside of work > police work

Not at all fair to my family if I knew I would die in the line of duty and still had the job. That's just selfish. No way in hell would I enter police work if I knew there was a 100% certainty.

You're an idiot. You're going to tell a retired cop you're glad he isn't a cop because he doesn't want to die? Congrats on being the new dumbest guy on the board.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

It's Complicated
    .So yes I would and I did to support my family besides they get paid more if I died on the job than off .
    I recently saw a posting on facebook from a co-worker of
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20802-se...ric-john-stein

He took his 7 yr old son to visit Sgt Stein's grave near the anniversary of the murder............

The young child asked where Eric was..............and was shown the grave and told buried here.

The child asked if he could be buried so he could see Eric.....................

Do you really want that to be your family?........................................Do you think the "more pay" would really be worth it?
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Would you put a Krispy Kreme in your mouth if it would kill you? Oh wait...never mind. Of course you would, so would I.
    "Don't make perfect the enemy of good."

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglass

Page 1 of 2 12 Last