Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GIOSTORMUSNRET

Thread: Help in choosing an academy - CA

No Longer Active

Help in choosing an academy - CA

I want to apply for a position with my local Sheriff's department. This department is offering an academy sometime in 2013, and the applications must be submitted around October this year. If the timing is similar to their earlier academy (application: Feb...start date: Jun) it looks like this academy will start around February or March.

There is an earlier academy I can attend in January, but it's with the city's Police department.

As I understand it, graduation from a POST academy makes me eligible to apply for a position in most California LE departments. While this may be technically true, maybe the department's own academy will be considered more favorably when applying.

So, which is more beneficial: Would it be worth it to wait an extra month or two and attend the Sheriff's academy? Or is it just as well that I attend the Police academy?

Thank you!

Forum Member

I would call the departments themselves and ask if it looks favorable or not. Some departments have their own academies. Two of the departments that I have applied to have their own academies and I am currently putting myself through. Just give them a call and they can give you a better idea.

TLD
    Forum Member
    Do you have to pay for academy?

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by TLD View Post
    Do you have to pay for academy?
    No sir, I am lucky enough to have the Post 9/11 Gi Bill.

I should also provide an update, I took the above advice and contacted the department directly. They informed me that either academy is a go, they are equally weighted.

I still think there's some value to attending the Sheriff's Academy, if for nothing else to make contacts within the department.

Forum Member
    Not sure if you posted before about this, here's my suggestion. Yes going through a POST approved academy is accepted with a majority of the law enforcement departments in California. Once you graduate you are eligible to apply as an academy graduate/lateral transfer vice being a recruit.

Before applying for a self sponsor academy get your VA Disability determination letter. If you are rated at 10% compensatable disability or higher the VA will pay 100% of the academy including all uniforms and equipment needed under the Vocational Rehab program. This could save your Post 9/11 G.I. bill to go after a bachelors degree which could help advancement opportunities. Some departments give a bonus for officers with bachelor degrees. You cannot use G.I. Bill and VocRehab at the same time.

While the Post 9/11 G.I. bill gives you the bah rate at the E-5 with dependents, the VocRehab give you a $600 living stipend while going through the training untill you complete the training required.
    Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 04-28-2012 at 03:12 AM.
    Jimbo_90 likes this.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"