Forum Member

Need help with a running regimen

Hello everyone. I had surgery on both legs back in January and have fully recovered. I finished physical therapy 2 weeks ago and have the go ahead to begin running. Now here's the problem. I have applications in with numerous LE agencies here in New Mexico and need to get in shape to hopefully begin testing at the beginning of next month. NM has some of the hardest physical standards to get hired. The mile and a half run must be done in less than 12:28. I am testing at elevations between 3800 and 5200 feet above sea level in a desert type area. I know it doesn't sound like much but I am pretty out of shape from not running much after the surgery. I've been running daily and still hit a wall pretty quick. My goal has been to add one lap on a track each day and so far I am up to 5 laps. Tommorrow I will try to run 6 laps without stopping.

Does this sound like a good plan to get my cardio up or should I be approaching it in a different way? I tried just going all out the first couple of days but ended up hurting myself. Also does anyone have tips how to get better cardio fast? Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Member
    However far your PT test is, you should add .5-1 mile to that with your daily run. Remember, getting back in shape is something that does not happen in a month and merely meeting the minimum standards does not always guarantee that you will continue to the next step.

Remember to write down your running times daily so you may track your progress. Setting realistic goals will help you from getting discouraged.
    Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slsteiner88 View Post
    Hello everyone. I had surgery on both legs back in January and have fully recovered. I finished physical therapy 2 weeks ago and have the go ahead to begin running. Now here's the problem. I have applications in with numerous LE agencies here in New Mexico and need to get in shape to hopefully begin testing at the beginning of next month. NM has some of the hardest physical standards to get hired. The mile and a half run must be done in less than 12:28. I am testing at elevations between 3800 and 5200 feet above sea level in a desert type area. I know it doesn't sound like much but I am pretty out of shape from not running much after the surgery. I've been running daily and still hit a wall pretty quick. My goal has been to add one lap on a track each day and so far I am up to 5 laps. Tommorrow I will try to run 6 laps without stopping.

Does this sound like a good plan to get my cardio up or should I be approaching it in a different way? I tried just going all out the first couple of days but ended up hurting myself. Also does anyone have tips how to get better cardio fast? Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks.
    To keep from developing running injuries (they'll put you right back where you started - not able to run 'til you heal), I would not run every day; five days a week in 2-3 day intervals (Mon-Wed., rest Thurs., Fri.+Sat., rest Sun.) would probably be better. Also, to keep from overtraining, add a lap every week, not every day, or you're gonna end up hurting yourself.

Try swimming or use and elliptical machine to develop cardio faster - both are non-impact activities.

DYZ

Forum Member

What is your current 1.5 mile time?

Quote Originally Posted by slsteiner88 View Post

Forum Member

You need to build your cardio. Try Tabata intervals to any exercise you can do safely and without inducing injury for 25 minutes or so. Personally, I like to to Tabata intervals to kettlebell and TRX exercises.

I do intervals on the bicycle trainer (similar to a spin-cycle) and I do incline work on a treadmill. The treadmill has springs, so it's not as hard on the joints as running on the road. Swimming is good. For me, eliptical work caused injury to my hips, so I won't ever try one of those again (I couldn't walk without pain for about 8 months, so be careful).

In the end, nothing quite compares to the rigors of running on the open road.
    Last edited by hopperja; 04-16-2012 at 02:08 AM.