Forum Member

Bomb Threat 14 at University of Pittsburgh.

Today was the 14th bomb threat in less than a month at the University of Pittsburgh.

Dear Students:

I am able to provide you with an update about the recent bomb threats. Please know
    that we are vigorously working to identify the actor(s), and, that no devices have
    been found to date.

The University of Pittsburgh is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information
    leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the recent bomb
    threats on the University of Pittsburgh campus in Oakland. Pitt reserves the right
    to allocate the reward among multiple sources of information. Pitt is stating its
    appeal to the public to assist the University of Pittsburgh Police and FBI with
    their investigation. Any witness who was in the areas on the dates and at the times
    of the threats and observed these threats being made or with information about who
    made these threats is urged to contact the University of Pittsburgh Police
    Department, 412-624-2121, or by e-mail at police@pitt.edu

In addition to the reward, here are some additional measures that we are taking,
    which comes from Chief Tim Delaney of the University of Pittsburgh Police. Among
    other things, we:

- are using University and other K-9 units for detection in a building when
    the students evacuate.
    - have increased security guard coverage and random foot patrols.
    - are comparing class and test schedules to event times.
    - are reviewing video of entrances to various locations.
    - are reviewing fingerprint evidence.
    - hired a handwriting expert to evaluate the messages written by the actor(s).
    - are working with the FBI utilizing their resources, including manpower.
    - are not treating these crimes as pranks.
    - are actively warning, and seeking tips from, the community.
    - will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law both Federal and State
    statutes.

We will continue to keep you apprised of the situation as best we can. Please refer
    to the Student Affairs Web site at www.studentaffairs.pitt.edu/husafety.
    Other than what they are doing what else would you do?
    What do you think the motive is?
    How would you be handling this with an active shooter incident only occurring 3 weeks ago?

Forum Member
    Additional info to wet your appetite:

The University of Pittsburgh is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the recent bomb threats on the University of Pittsburgh campus in Oakland.

The University of Pittsburgh is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the recent bomb threats on the University of Pittsburgh campus in Oakland. Pitt reserves the right to allocate the reward among multiple sources of information.

Pitt is stating its appeal to the public to assist the University of Pittsburgh Police and FBI with their investigation. Any witness who was in the areas on the dates and at the times of the threats and observed these threats being made or with information about who made these threats is urged to contact the University of Pittsburgh Police Department, 412-624-2121, or by email at police@pitt.edu.

They need to be incredibly cautious over the next couple months, a lot of people don't know that there were numerous bomb threats in the weeks leading up to the Virginia Tech shooting, it is suspected that they were all from the gun man.

Forum Member
    They are indeed taking all of the threats very seriously. As far as I know most of them have been in the form of messages on bathroom stalls.

The fact that there was an active shooter event at a University of Pittsburgh Medical Center facility less than a month ago has these bomb threats occurring at a very suspicious time in my opinion.

My brother goes to Pitt, and from what he's heard the bomb threats have been emails, text messages, and now writing on bathroom walls. According to his count, there has been 17 bomb threats, 9 this week alone. The rumors going around campus are that it's a group, and there studying evacuation patterns of the different buildings. The threats have happened in nearly ever major building on campus. Many of the students are refusing to go to class until they catch the people behind them.
    Pennsylvania ACT 120 Police Academy

An armed society is a..
    Those with concealed carry permits should not be disarmed on campus, teachers and staff members ought to be offered a free course by local instructors so they have some capability to defend themselves. This ought to be standard procedure nation wide, all good people with an acceptable level of competence should be put to use.
    If more GOOD people were armed we would no longer see MCI's on the level we have in recent years.
    I believe part of the reason why these incidents happen at schools is because the shooters know they are "gun free" areas and it takes a real coward to shoot innocent people.

Forum Member
    Pitt has come down to clearing buildings and restricting access to only one entrance to each building and searching all students.

I agree that good people should be armed on college campuses unfortunately most professors are anti-gun and most students are too young and dumb to take the responsibility fully. There are exceptions but this has been my experience at my college.

Back in my college days...bomb threats ALWAYS occurred during finals!

Fast forward to today: it's a crap shoot. Specific procedures and precautions can be applied..but other than that.........anything is possible.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    The bomb threats started about 2 months before finals. They have also came in such quantities that it is quite annoying to say the least. Last count I had was something like 24. They are not all at academic buildings either. They had one at a dorm at 3am that does slightly more than disrupting finals.

What is your function during these threats?

Who makes the decision to clear buildings? Hopefully the affected students/people in the area won't become complacent.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    I am an applicant to the Pittsburgh Police but I am a graduate student taking an emergency management class at Pitt.

As far as I know the decision has been left up by the University of Pittsburgh Police. This is the current information that they have released.

As we begin to experience escalated evacuations, we have decided to take next steps to heighten security measures on our campus. Beginning April 9, the University will limit access to buildings once they have been swept and cleared. Not all buildings will have limited access immediately, but over the next few days we expect this will extend to all buildings.

To enter secured buildings, we all will need to present a University of Pittsburgh ID card.There will be single entrances to buildings so there will be longer waiting times to get into the buildings. At each entrance, there will be two check points—one for those carrying backpacks, book bags, and packages and one for those without. We encourage all to carry only those items necessary for your study and work, in order to facilitate admittance. In addition, non-University of Pittsburgh residents will not be allowed in the residence hall.

Please make sure you arrive to your building earlier than your usual arrival time to accommodate this necessary security step. We will continue to evacuate and sweep buildings when threats are received but these additional security measures will reduce the amount of time needed to clear and reopen the buildings.

Get your bug out bag ready!

Forum Member
    Already do! Everything except my weapon because campus being a gun free zone and not having leosa to justify carrying I don't want to risk it while in the application process