Forum Boss

[Video] Enforcing Seat Belt Law With Bunny Costume

West Palm Beach police use bunny costume to enforce seat-belt law

By Cynthia Roldan
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

WEST PALM BEACH — A man and a bunny were walking down the center median of Okeechobee Boulevard Wednesday morning when the bunny began flashing a sign at passing motorists: "Have a safe, hoppy holiday. Buckle up!"

Amused drivers smiled and waved at the duo. (One motorist even tried to give the man a $20, thinking he was homeless.)

But this was no joke. Both were West Palm Beach police officers out to enforce the state-sponsored "Click it or Ticket" campaign; signalling other officers stationed off Tamarind Avenue when motorists were not wearing their seat belts.

Wearing a seat belt "should be an involuntary response when you get in a vehicle," said Sgt. Matthew Bessette of the department's traffic division. Beginning around 8 a.m., officers cited 50 motorists in the first two hours alone.

Bessette, who came up with the idea of using the bunny costume and calling the one-day effort "Operation Hippity Hop," said it was the department's way of spicing up the educational enforcement campaign. "You never know where we're going to be or what we're going to look like," Bessette said.

That certainly rang true for Kendui Paicus, 30, of West Palm Beach. He said he saw the bunny, but didn't think much of it. Paicus was issued a $116 citation for not wearing his seat belt.

Tesheika Lee said she also saw the bunny but thought she was in the clear because she was wearing her seat belt under her arm. "I knew it was wrong, but it's just not comfortable," she said, before driving away and almost forgetting to slip the top band over her chest.

Before letting the 29-year-old West Palm Beach resident go with a verbal warning, Bessette made sure to explain the correct way to wear a seat belt.

Link: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/tr...o-2268029.html

To watch the video, click the link directly above. It may take a moment to load.

Quote Originally Posted by mitojo View Post
    I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Forum Member
    Don't even get me started on seat belt tickets....

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    I'm with you!
    Retired

Forum Member
    Would have been funny if the bunny was wearing a gun belt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LINY View Post
    Would have been funny if the bunny was wearing a gun belt.
    And a vest.

DYZ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Ok...I wanna get you started. What's your issue with seat belt tickets? BTW, I, in my long 2 year career, have yet to wright one. I just want to hear your issue with them. Personally, I use the law to my full advantage, as seat belt violations are common PC for stops which turn up better stuff for me. However, I've kinda always held the view that legislating seat belts is like trying to legislate away stupidity (and is probably a result of insurance lobbyists over-influence in govt.), and if you were to try to legislate away stupidity, well.....that would be quite the thick law book. Anyways Sarge...what's your deal with seat belt tickets?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dyz4035 View Post
    And a vest.

DYZ
    Yeah that would go over well.

911, what is your emergency?

- There's a person in a bunny costume on the side of the road. He's armed and wearing body armor.

OK sir, officers are on the way. Please do not approach the person, just stay on the line.

- *tackles the bunny*

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluescitycop View Post
    Ok...I wanna get you started. What's your issue with seat belt tickets?....However, I've kinda always held the view that legislating seat belts is like trying to legislate away stupidity (and is probably a result of insurance lobbyists over-influence in govt.), and if you were to try to legislate away stupidity, well.....that would be quite the thick law book.
    You just answered your own question.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bluescitycop View Post
    Personally, I use the law to my full advantage, as seat belt violations are common PC for stops which turn up better stuff for me.
    So why not enact even more stupid legislation to give you more PC to conduct a stop?
    Retired

Forum Member

because I too would be subject to the legislation. I think we have enough already. Now, enforcing what we have at the court level...different story.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    So why not enact even more stupid legislation to give you more PC to conduct a stop?
    Like Tucson recently passing a ban on texting.

Forum Member
    And a metal codpiece like in Super Troopers.
    "Don't make perfect the enemy of good."

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglass