Forum Member

Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner

I am looking to purchase an ultrasonic cleaning system for handguns (not rifles at this time). My department currently uses this make/model:

http://www.sonicsystemsales.com/home.html

According to the website, it costs $675.00 and is delivered with all necessary supplies/chemicals.

Does anyone have experience with either the above product or something different? If so, what are the pros and cons of the different products?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Is this for field cleaning or cleaning the gun completely? We don't use anything like that to clean you handguns. We started using Froglub and it works better then break free. I can see spending the money it you are cleaning the whole gun. I can't see spending the money on that if you are just field strip cleaning.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

"Remember: Right now someone is training so that when they meet you, they beat you. Train hard, and stay on guard."--Dave Spaulding

Forum Member
    The one Brownells has is cheaper and their products have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...LEANING-SYSTEM
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsaints75 View Post
    Is this for field cleaning or cleaning the gun completely?
    It's for cleaning the gun completely.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    The one Brownells has is cheaper and their products have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...LEANING-SYSTEM
    Thanks for the info! Have you used this cleaner before?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueline1032 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Have you used this cleaner before?
    No. It was recommended to me by a gunsmith buddy of mine.

I've bought stuff from Brownells for the past 10 years and never had a single problem with their products or their service.

Forum Member

harbor freight has them cheap if you want to try one out first..... mine has lasted several years of heavy use

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alex001 View Post
    harbor freight has them cheap if you want to try one out first..... mine has lasted several years of heavy use
    What do you use as the cleaning solution?

Forum Member

they sell a solution there but also all big sites like midway has stuff.... plain old water works also

NOT banned
    dont like them......have used them and then still had to "old school" clean weapons because the grime was still there...just my opinion.
    If Brownells has a 100% satisfaction guarantee then you really cant lose
    "Lighten da' cargo...Fer' a chick wid' big boobs...cause I like boobs, big boobs...."
    Da Admiral Sully

"To the open-carry nut-rider, a firearm is his persona, a soap-box, and his reason for being. By strapping one on, he proclaims to the world, 'even though I didn't get hugs as a kid, somebody's going to By Golly pay attention to me now'."
    slamdunc

Forum Member

I would never use a water based cleaner to clean guns that were not stripped down to the smallest parts, I have seen some pictures of really ugly damage to guns cleaned partially assembled with water based cleaners. Hoppes Elite was one of them actually, and the guy slathered it all over an XD slide he did not strip totally, the water based cleaner attacked parts inside the slide. Simple stuff like an extractor where you can use compressed air to blow all water out may be ok.
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

GGG
    Forum Member
    I have this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Lit.../dp/B001S1TT2A

You have to keep in mind that it will break up all the carbon and everything, separating it from the surface of the gun, but it does not just disappear. It settles to whatever is below it. So a pistol frame on it's side will have all the gunk sitting in the bottom half of the gun. So you still have to wipe it out. You can't just pull it out and assemble.

For cleaner, I just get a gallon of Purple Power or Simple Green or whatever generic concentrated cleaner is cheapest. If you buy the high dollar gun specific cleaner, I would suggest filling the tank with water, then putting the parts in a ziplock bag or glass jar with the cleaning solution. That way you are not using as much cleaner and will save money.

I am mixing up some Ed's Red http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9 and will give that a shot in the ultra sonic cleaner. Of course I will use the bag or jar method with that since it would make my whole house smell like a refinery otherwise.