Forum Member

Best way to move a shed?

I know this isn't archery related but I figured you guys would have some experience with this. There really aren't any "Shed Moving Forums" out there. I need to move a 10' X 12' outdoor shed. I was thinking about getting a flatbed tow truck, but getting it on there could be hard. I was thinking perhaps putting a bolt into the front and pulling it up onto the flatbed that way. The other thought was getting a trailer and using 6 guys to lift it and put it up on the trailer. Moving it about 15 miles. Any other ideas?

What do you think?

Last edited by HEDP; 03-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Forum Member

Trailer + 10 guys + pizza/pop/beer = win.

forum member
    Prolly cheaper to build you a new one. 2x4's plywood or even T-111, truss and roofing material.

Is the shed structurally sound to move? Fifteen miles on what kind of road...highway..back roads? Once the shed is on the truck how high is it and will it be able to clear any overpasses...low lying trees etc. Do you need a permit to do this?

I don't think flatbeds are 10 ft wide...maybe.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    Prolly cheaper to build you a new one. 2x4's plywood or even T-111, truss and roofing material.

Is the shed structurally sound to move? Fifteen miles on what kind of road...highway..back roads? Once the shed is on the truck how high is it and will it be able to clear any overpasses...low lying trees etc. Do you need a permit to do this?

I don't think flatbeds are 10 ft wide...maybe.

It'd cost me $500-$600 to build one. This one is free and in good condition.

I could take a regular road, slow. Clearance issues aren't a problem. It can overhang the flatbed.

forum member
    Have you looked on the internet............they have some videos. Jack it up and using pipes/poles to roll it. As long as the flatbed has a winch....you might be able to do it slowly...with someone running to move the pipes as it moves toward the truck.

How much does it weigh...could you lift it up using ALL of your friends?
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    Have you looked on the internet............they have some videos. Jack it up and using pipes/poles to roll it. As long as the flatbed has a winch....you might be able to do it slowly...with someone running to move the pipes as it moves toward the truck.

How much does it weigh...could you lift it up using ALL of your friends?

I'm thinking I would need like 6-8 guys and could lift it. Its all wood. So probably like 500-1,000lbs?

forum member
    here's one: all you need is a couple of 2x4's, 2 pipes. You can jack it up with a car jack..block it up and put the 2x4 down. Or get yer friends and try lifting it onto the truck..ughhh..no farting in the process.

http://www.cheapsheds.com/how-to-move-a-shed-by-hand/

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    I need to do the same thing this summer - but I'm just relocating it about 50 feet down a small hill. I was thinking of hooking up a monster eye bolt or hook and just pulling / sliding it with a log chain and my pickup. Hmmm...........
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member
    Any amish around? J/k

What you do hook a couple of strong rope or chain to each wall in the center of it. This will stop the legs from spreading and create a bit of rigidity(is that even a word?) to the structure. Get a piece of plywood the size of the bottom of it and a few car jacks and slide the ply wood under it. Get some L bracks from lowes and attach the shed to the ply wood thats under it. This will give you a smooth surface to drag as opposed to skinny legs.
    make a hole in the ply wood that you can attach a rope or chain on to. You will pull the shed on to the flatbed or trailer or what ever you use to tow it with on with that.

DONT try to attach the rope or anything to the shed you want to do it from the bottom. That way you wont rip the shed apart.

Also if you decide to move it by picking it up, the ply wood would keep a equal amount of force throughout the foot print instead of doing it without it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Learning Everyday
    In the tropics somewhere between the port of indecision and southwest of disorder
    Loader/Frontend tractor and nylon straps. Run the straps under the shed and around the bucket/forks of machine. Pick it up cradle style and back trailer under and then lowering shed onto flatbed or roll back.

Have you checked with local towing companies in your area? They might be able to help you out with transport for cheap..

I have done this with the exact size shed you mentioned. No problem... Matter a fact, I drove the loader holding the shed as mentioned above 100 ft from one end to new resting spot.
    Last edited by jhall; 03-31-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

forum member
    Well did you get your shed moved???

Forum Member

I once reinforced a shed, and separated its 4 walls to move it, and it still fell apart in transit.

Civillian
    Actually, I just had a shed moved. Cost me $200, but was done by a licensed professional. I found him by calling one of the nearby stores that sold sheds.

One guy and his truck.

Surfing Socal
    NOt sure if this is practical but take it apart, move it, put it back together.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Forum Member

I suggest you consult the expert on this subject. I am, of course, speaking of Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson.

L.S.U. FAN (atic)
    Most of the above are good suggestions,I just have one question.
    I know this isn't archery related

What the heck does that ^^^ have to do with the price of tea in China??
    Last edited by mavriktu; 04-17-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Surfing Socal
    ^^^^ that question was to throw everyone a curve ball.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Forum Member

My suggestion is worthless now, since it has already been moved, but I would have used a stick of dynamite. Light the fuse, throw it in and slam the door. Boom! While it is in the air back the trailer under where it was. Admittedly, you have to be pretty quick to do all this but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    Most of the above are good suggestions,I just have one question.

What the heck does that ^^^ have to do with the price of tea in China??
    Hey Chief... what is da' tea prices now's a' daz' anyways..

I'm da' Soo-Fist-I-cat-ed one 'round dez' here parts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
    ^^^^ that question was to throw everyone a curve ball.

hey HEDP How's ya gunna' move da' hole????
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
    My suggestion is worthless now, since it has already been moved, but I would have used a stick of dynamite. Light the fuse, throw it in and slam the door. Boom! While it is in the air back the trailer under where it was. Admittedly, you have to be pretty quick to do all this but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Gawddamn's Big T...ya' and ma' 'dink alike..... I like 'dat....
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.