Thread: Dubuque PD

Forum Member

Dubuque PD

I am a Wisconsinite/Sconnie/Cheesehead looking for some information about Dubuque PD. I have a college instructor who is retired Dubuque PD with 35 years or so on the job there. He knows that I am three years into applying for LE work in WI, but it's a very tough market. I got back into school 2 years ago working toward a B.S. in CJ (it's what's interesting to me) and plan on paying my way through the academy here in WI. Many people have to do that here to have a shot with the smaller sized departments.

My prof. has gotten to know my work pretty well and recommended that I apply to Dubuque PD, as they were having a tough time finding good, qualified candidates who could make it through the academy and FTO. Anyone else heard something like this?

On the Dubuque PD website is states that applicants will need to take a POST test, which I assume will be similar to written tests we have here in WI (we don't use a consistent POST). However in another thread here there are lots of acronyms being used regarding various tests and academies and certifications... do these only apply to State jobs (Troopers, etc)?

Any other information or personal experiences with Dubuque PD officers or administration would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.

Forum Member
    Yeah the POST is your written test. Pretty basic stuff, if it is an issue for someone then they likely don't belong in the job. You were probably hearing about ILEA as well. That is the academy most officers in the state attend. (There are others, though ILEA is the main one.)

People don't pay their way through the academy in IA, they are hired then the agency sponsors them for an academy.

Dubuque PD seems to have a lot of turnover.......................I do know that they are not afraid to ask someone to leave near the end of the FTO period -----and to terminate if the officer chooses not to leave on their own.

The chief (new in the last year) came up through the ranks........................He seems to be well liked..............unlike the last couple ---who came in from outside.

If you have questions about acronyms.............ask them as we don't have the slightest idea what yo mean unless you tell us.

Like zhakkar stated.........................Iowa does not allow self sponsoring............
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zhakkar View Post
    Yeah the POST is your written test. Pretty basic stuff, if it is an issue for someone then they likely don't belong in the job. You were probably hearing about ILEA as well. That is the academy most officers in the state attend. (There are others, though ILEA is the main one.)

People don't pay their way through the academy in IA, they are hired then the agency sponsors them for an academy.
    Thank you for the information. I am now understanding that the POST is "Police Officer Selection Test" and that ILEA is "Iowa Law Enforcement Academy". In WI we have a standards bureau (LESB) but the academies are run by various tech schools, with the exception of a couple large departments running their own. Most smaller PD's are looking for people who have already been through the academy, which means either current LE, or people like myself who self-pay/self-sponsor in order to increase hire-ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Dubuque PD seems to have a lot of turnover.......................I do know that they are not afraid to ask someone to leave near the end of the FTO period -----and to terminate if the officer chooses not to leave on their own.

The chief (new in the last year) came up through the ranks........................He seems to be well liked..............unlike the last couple ---who came in from outside.

If you have questions about acronyms.............ask them as we don't have the slightest idea what yo mean unless you tell us.

Like zhakkar stated.........................Iowa does not allow self sponsoring............
    Thank you for the information about Dubuque PD. I have now Googled the acronyms that I had seen in the other post:

POST "Police Officer Standards Test"
    DPS "Department of Public Safety", (I assume equivalent to our WI Dept. of Justice).
    MVE "Motor Vehicle Enforcement"
    ILEA "Iowa Law Enforcement Academy"
    ISP "Iowa State Patrol"
    DCI "Division of Criminal Investigations"
    DNE "Dept. of Narcotic Enforcement"

ILEA does not allow self sponsoring - but there are officers that pay for the academy themselves. You have to work out an agreement with a department and they have to sponsor you. One of my classmates at the academy did that and was formally hired upon completion/certification. It was for a very small department.

Went through the academy with a few Dubuque officers – nice guys, but haven’t been in touch since graduation...
    'nil carborundum illegitimi'

Any and all statements made solely represent my opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed. Furthermore, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Quote Originally Posted by T295 View Post
    ILEA does not allow self sponsoring - but there are officers that pay for the academy themselves. You have to work out an agreement with a department and they have to sponsor you. One of my classmates at the academy did that and was formally hired upon completion/certification. It was for a very small department..
    The agreement has to include the provision that the agency will hire you within a year of completion of the academy....................it can be a part time hire
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup