Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Macho Man

Quote Originally Posted by willbird View Post
    The 870 compared to a mossberg 500 (the maverick appears to be a clone of the mossberg 500) is just a "nicer" gun overall. The mossberg has a tang safety which may be a plus for some, the 870 has a crossbolt safety. Mossbergs work great, every one I have used anyway, but operating one just feels a bit more crude than the 870.

But the most important difference between the two as I see it is that you can easily increase the magazine capacity of the 870 just by adding an extension, the 500 and clones you will need a new barrel and an extension due to how it is designed.

Also with the aluminum receiver most mossy's have as they are used as tools the patina may not be quite as attractive as a gun with a steel receiver.
    I have an 870 and a 500, the only thing where the 870 is better is as you said the mag well. I will shoot my 500 all day VS my 870, I just don't like the feel.

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    For home defense you really don't need a sling. A knox is collapsible, but not folding. Knox are kinda on the pricey end as well. What's your total budget? I have a rem 870 w/ +2 ext that cost 300 out the door at cheaper than dirt. A side saddle adds 6 rds on the side for about $20. I have a surefire g2 in a cdm gear mount for $80 total. So for around $400 you'd be all set. Not sure how prices compare with maverick
    Maverick is a cheaper shotgun- would stick to the remington, but if someone can only affrod a maverick- get one! had a Mossberg and it didn't hold up as well as my remington, trigger housing crack and broke ! I don't know why someone would accessorize a shotgun- seems a waste to me. I have an 870 with extended mag tube, slide on shell sleeve or extra rounds, thats it- the shotgun is a CQB weapon, keep it simple, lt works. i put more effort in my 2 Mini 14s( 2X scope on one, Red dot on the other) laser,barrel strut, 2 point slings, and my saiga rifle ( russian factory scope mount, compliant tactical stock, bi pod) and my savage Mod 10 in .308. Putting together a AR-15 , got the lower, in 5.56mm- got PLENTY of extra ammo.

bottom line, DON'T bust yourself out with "do dads" for a weapon you want to simply work!
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-07-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Not so Special Agent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmg View Post
    Why is the 870 Superior to the Maverick? I have shot both (I own a 870) and i cant tell much of a difference. With the exception of my 870 jamming all the time.
    What ammo are you using? Not that I doubt your statement, but we put thousands of rounds through our 870s at work and I have never ever seen a single "jam". I didn't think it was possible to do anything to an 870 to get it to jam based on my experience.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Forum Member

No one has said it so I will. I love my Benelli Supernova Tactical and think it is a great shotgun for the money. I've added a +2 extention tube, Mesa Tactical 6 shot carrier and the Limbsaver urbino tactical stock. For the money I think it's hard to beat. All of my friends have 870's and 500's and they don't want to shoot their shotguns after picking up mine.

Tmg
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yellowreef View Post
    What ammo are you using? Not that I doubt your statement, but we put thousands of rounds through our 870s at work and I have never ever seen a single "jam". I didn't think it was possible to do anything to an 870 to get it to jam based on my experience.
    Remington, Winchester. It does it with buck, slugs, or bird shot. Its an odd problem. When I fire the gun the ejector locks up. In other words i cant cycle the round after i fire the round.

I need to take it to a gun smith. I have just procrastinated with it since i never really use it.

To be fair, our duty 870's have worked great and i have not experienced a problem with them.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Civillian
    Quote Originally Posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    I don't know why someone would accessorize a shotgun- seems a waste to me.

bottom line, DON'T bust yourself out with "do dads" for a weapon you want to simply work!
    I tried to agree with this, but I just can't. Not only do you want it to work, but you want to make sure you've given yourself every advantage possible. If it's home defense, then your encounter will most likely be in the dark.. a light is a must. Ghost rings aren't for everyone, but they do have their advantages. A sling for a rifle/shotgun is the equivalent of a holster and I think every firearm should have one.

Yea, an upgraded stock isn't necessary, but if it makes the gun more comfortable and helps to encourage shooting with it more often then I'm for it. For someone who is proficient with a shotgun already, there isn't much of a need for one I suppose.

However, you are right.. none of this is any good if you don't practice with it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor13 View Post
    How about stick with the regular stock and get a limbsaver. I spent less money and got a lot more results then with a Knoxx.
    Personally I am not a fan of the Knoxx stock. A couple guys on the squad have them on their shotguns. They beat my cheek to pieces and were not comfortable for me to shoot. I like my shotguns with just the standard straight buttstock.

Page 2 of 2 First 12