Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishAK View Post
    In fact, I'm already looking at other handguards....and so it begins....lol.
    On a carbine length gun, the Centurion Arms C4 Carbine Cut Out rail http://www.centurionarms.net/index.p...art&Itemid=177 is tough to beat. Keeps the gun lightweight and gives you a little bit of extra rail space around the FSB.

Need some optics, too. I'm going to see what they have when I pick it up and maybe get something put on there. Most likely not going to be top of the line to start with, though. I want an Aimpoint eventually, but I'll probably get some cheapo red-dot sight for now. And some ammo. Some targets. Couple extra mags.
    As others have said, don't rush into buying an optic. If you can't afford a quality one now, just wait until you can. The gun's iron sights will do you just fine until you can get the Aimpoint that you want. Even an el cheapo optic like a Bushnell TRS-25 in a UTG mount will still cost you ~$105; that is almost a fifth of a Micro T1, or a quarter of a PRO. Essentially, if you are going to be buying a quality optic sometime in the future, it is money that is completely wasted.

Once again, the Colt is an excellent gun. Take it to the range and shoot it like you stole it, man.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Midnight sun worshipper
    That Centurion rail is cool. Pricey, but cool. It is now bookmarked for later.

I decided to hold off on optics like you guys said. I need to be able to use the sights (came with a Magpul flip-up rear sight and fixed front). So, logic is telling me to get proficient with those first. Got a box of 300 rounds and will be finding a place to shoot in the next few days. The store threw in 2 exploding targets with the sale, too, so I'm looking forward to that....lol. I'll post a pic or two later probably because I was asked to, but it looks pretty much like the ads do.....

Also could use some ammo recommendations and cheapest places to buy.
    Last edited by fishAK; 04-02-2012 at 03:40 AM.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    For ammo, just get whatever is cheapest and brass cased, Palmetto State Armory & Aim Surplus tend to have some of the better prices on ammo.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Midnight sun worshipper
    I got the cheapest non-remanufactured ammo I could find. 300 rounds for $140...don't know if that's a fair price or not, though. Didn't have many choices at this shop, though. FMJ 62-grain....
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

St. Cloud Proud!
    I got the cheapest non-remanufactured ammo I could find. 300 rounds for $140...don't know if that's a fair price or not, though. Didn't have many choices at this shop, though. FMJ 62-grain....
    my 6920 does not like xm193 (55g) so i stay with m855 which is 62 gr. 20 yds and in xm193 is great, but once i get out to 100+ that round hits right and low. try both and see what works for you. 193/m855 is generally cheapest in bulk. cheaper than dirt has 500 rds of m855 for $140 right now i believe.
    In Valor there is hope

Midnight sun worshipper
    Pics for anyone keeping still following. It came with a VFG, but I like the gun without it at this point. Forgive the not-so-high quality camera phone, but it's easy because I can upload then straight to Photobucket.

Last edited by fishAK; 04-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

You got a good deal. Here in the midwest the local wal-mart has a 6920 with standard M4 furniture for $1097.00......and I'd pay extra to change it out to magpul, anyway.

Oh, and the SP6920 and LE6920 are the same rifle. Different roll marks on the receiver, but all specs are identical.
    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Midnight sun worshipper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    You got a good deal. Here in the midwest the local wal-mart has a 6920 with standard M4 furniture for $1097.00......and I'd pay extra to change it out to magpul, anyway.

Oh, and the SP6920 and LE6920 are the same rifle. Different roll marks on the receiver, but all specs are identical.
    Yeah, it was a better price than any I could find online. That's usually a good indication that it really is a good price...lol. I'll change the front rail eventually, I think, but I actually like it for now. Without much to mount, it's a good looking handguard. I also figured out that the LE and SP were the same thing; some law sunsetted so they no longer have to label them LE I guess.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Midnight sun worshipper
    I haven't had time to do much with this yet, but was cleaning it up prior to some range time today. Found a good-sized scuff/scrape on the upper that I thought was just a shipping/grease mark before. It's actually into the metal and not going away short of a re-finish.

Anyone know if I should bother trying to replace it with Colt or are they going to give me the run around? It isn't going to affect the operation, but might hurt resale value down the road.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member
    If it's a safe queen, worry about it.

If it's a combat gun, who gives a hoot?

Midnight sun worshipper
    Yeah, I don't expect perfect condition to last long on any of my guns. Still, it kind of bugs me to get things pre-scraped for me....

I had a hard time with my first pistol getting holster wear. Kind of cracks me up now. Just means you're actually using it.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member
    Wear marks give a gun "character."

If you have to shoot someone, they won't care if your weapon is scratched or not.

Additionally, I'm not selling any of my guns.

Ever.

Midnight sun worshipper
    Think I've decided not to worry about it. I'm hoping my step-son who never lets us forget he's an Army Ranger will give me a custom paint job anyway. He's an amazing artist and does it for his unit and he owes me about $10,000....figure I'm due a favor since I doubt I'll ever actually see the money.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever

Forum Member

[QUOTE=fishAK;3026755]I'll change the front rail eventually, I think, but I actually like it for now.QUOTE]

Magpul makes rail sections and vertical grips that mount directly to their handguards.
    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Page 2 of 2 First 12