Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Telling you when you can wear short sleeves.

My department has the mandatory long sleeve, or short sleeve thing going on. We are told what we HAVE to wear no matter what the temp is outside. In Georgia it might be 65 in the winter, and here we are with the mandatory long sleeves and tie, or dickie. What is the freaking point in that much control over your officers? Do we not have sense enough to figure out whether we want to wear short or long sleeves?? They say that it looks more professional, but does the public really give a flying sheet if we have long or short sleeves on????? Let people wear what ever they are more comfortable in. Rant over.

Forum Member
    Same with the agency I work for. Right along with the stupid shiny buttons. No hats at the present time but the threat is still floating around. Totally unrealistic in today's world IMO. The public could care less with the type of uniform we are wearing when they need help.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

The only ones on our dept with long sleeves is the honor guard,not issued OR authorized,THANKFULLY.
    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Forum Member
    We have a similar mandatory long sleeve/short sleeve date, however we have enough sense to post a temporary order postponing the transition based on the weather conditions. I think we went to short sleeves two weeks early because it has been so warm here.

Forum Member
    We used to have winter changeover to long sleeves but we have a new agency head that ended that. Also, the new agency head made it where tattoos have to be covered so many people wear long sleeves to cover them up. I only wear long sleeves because they protect me from the sun since I'm lilly white. I actually think they are cooler since you don't feel the direct sun on you. I also like them for the minor protection they give you if you are going through brush or rolling on the ground for what ever reason.
    Last edited by ftttu; 03-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Our policy was always when daylight savings time changed we changed into short sleeves and vice versa

I retired since the DST changed to March..............so I dont' know what the policy is now
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

We have a formal changeover policy, but that has been relaxed and now we can pretty much wear what we want. We are looking to switch to 5.11 TDU's, loosing the stripe and hats altogether.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
    My department has the mandatory long sleeve, or short sleeve thing going on. We are told what we HAVE to wear no matter what the temp is outside. In Georgia it might be 65 in the winter, and here we are with the mandatory long sleeves and tie, or dickie. What is the freaking point in that much control over your officers? Do we not have sense enough to figure out whether we want to wear short or long sleeves?? They say that it looks more professional, but does the public really give a flying sheet if we have long or short sleeves on????? Let people wear what ever they are more comfortable in. Rant over.
    I hear you brother, that's a pretty ridiculous policy.

Tmg
    Forum Member
    Wow that is retarded. Thank God my new PD treats us like adult humans.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

We had that same policy.......changed with daylight savings time. Stupid policy that was eventually changed.

They give us the decision when to use lethal force and we can't make our own decision when to wear long or short sleeves?

Hello!!! Admin and their looks good on paper general orders/policy.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Annoyed, amazed & amused! Kieth M.'s Avatar
    35 years ago, at LAPD, we were only allowed short-sleeves from Memorial Day to Labor Day when a teletype was received telling us the next day's tempurature was predicted to be over 76(?) degrees. And of course, when we got out of the police car, we'd better have our hat on. Daryl Gates changed all that when he became chief.

I like the option of short-sleeves, today, but insist that long-sleeves are available for Class 'A' events such as cermonies or funerals. But trust me, here in Colorado, long-sleeves are a necessity in the wintertime.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

No such thing with us except if you have tattoos. If the tattoos are visible below the elbow, short sleeve line then you have to wear the long sleeve no matter what. I know some guys use the skin tone smock when wearing the short sleeve but I think that looks retarded. Only other uniform issue is when we can wear our class B uniform, which is a cotton Dickie type shirt and pants. Policy says when there is inclement weather. But in the desert where its 95 plus all summer that would work right?? Other than that you can wear short or long sleeve when ever you want
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made or based on my own thought and opinions.

Forum Member
    We have a policy like that. Short sleeves from April 15th to October 15th, long sleeves the rest of the year. We can wear short sleeves during the other part of the year(Oct-Apr) if it is predicted to be above 70 degrees and the entire shift agrees on it. We did just get it changed last year so that from April 1st-30th and October 1-31st, we can decide on our own what to wear.

We have mandatory months for both long sleeves and short sleeves buffered with optional months where either is allowed. The funny thing is there is no policy about when I can wear a jacket.

The only time a mandatory "sleeve" makes sense is if you are going to be standing in formation. Then a uniform of the day is in order. Else, let folks make their own decision on sleeve length. What if its February but I work in a hot office?

Forum Member
    We have this policy too except that the patrol commander notifies everyone when to switch. We switched to long sleeves on 12/19/2011 and then went back to short sleeves on 03/05/2012.

We used to have a mandatory long-sleeve period. The chief would issue the memo usually sometime in November. The memo re-authorizing short sleeves would come out some time in March. They stopped doing it several years ago. Now you wear what you want when you want. Much better.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by j706 View Post
    Same with the agency I work for. Right along with the stupid shiny buttons. No hats at the present time but the threat is still floating around. Totally unrealistic in today's world IMO. The public could care less with the type of uniform we are wearing when they need help.
    According to academy staff decades ago, some perp. shot and killed a uniformed police officer and got away with it under a self-defense justification. We were told the perp claimed it was a crowded street and the only thing he saw was a hand pointing a gun at him, so he shot the guy. Officer wasn't wearing a hat and the defense claimed this was why he didn't see it was a police officer and the uniformed was obscured by the crowd. Is it urban legend, I don't know, but it always stuck in my mind afterwards.

Forum Member
    But......it's the way we've always done it!!!
    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Forum Member
    We are required to wear long sleeves from October 1st through June 1st and jackets are required from November 1st till may 1st although the Lt can decided based on the weather is the required uniform can be altered

It's our choice what we want to wear. In TX, it can be 35 degrees one day and 75 the next. I'm glad we have the option. Even the guys with tats can wear short sleeves.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Forum Member
    My Dept has a formal change over as well. Its optional for a month before its made mandatory, so March 1 short sleeve is optional then April 1 its mandatory. WE do not have to wear hats, but the ball cap is optional all the time.
    We to are looking into new options with uniforms. We have officer testing various uniform types and new items. We are looking hard at the 5.11 TDU as well.
    Also we have one external vest carrier that is already authorized, it looks basically like the uniform shirt semi tight fitting, and a new tactical style vest carrier is also being tested to go along with the current approved vest carrier. The only difference is the old approved carrier you still have all your gear on your belt it strictly a vest carrier. The carrier being tested will hold everything but your service weapon.
    We have polled various city citizens and they have had mixed feeling over going to a TDU or uniform for all patrol officer as our ERT/SWAT wears. (now they are not full time so they work the beat in a BDU uniform) They were concerned with us getting out with citizens looking like we were going to war. This was the reason we were researching more formal but more practical uniforms.

***Now when I say its optional its optional as a sqaud, so if the majority wants short sleeves we are standing out in the 35 degree weather with short sleeves and a jacket in March. Which is common in NC*****

Motor Officer
    We are treated like adults, and get to pick long or short sleeved based on preference. We've had a mild winter, and it's supposed to get to 80 degrees tomorrow, which is way above average.

The only uniform schedule is for wearing optional white uniform shirts. Discretion allows wearing a white short-sleeved shirts from April 1 to October 31. Otherwise, it's navy.

Forum Member
    Short-sleeve is only allowed at the direction of admin (roughly March-November)...for "uniformity." Nevermind the fact that we can wear the long-sleeve anytime.

Back to Day 1/Week 1
    We have a Class A work uniform year round. Not exceptions, no short sleeves ever. Long sleeves, patent leather boots and leather gear, and campaign cover. Doesn't bother me in the least bit.

That sucks. We have a choice of long sleeve or short sleeve between October and April.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast